Presonus Studio One 6 Professional Upgrade from Professional/Producer (all versions)

cclarry

3 hours ago, Bruno de Souza Lino said:

The only compressor you have available is useless and there's no way one could learn basic concepts on that. This video demonstrates this well. While it is showing v5, the only thing they did for v6 Prime was fix the button labels.

For my usage it was.  This was for an afterschool program for middle schoolers.  No serious mixing was going on. Any of the kids that showed interest beyond the most basic concepts was able to come to my other studio and work on st1 pro or logic.  The other kids were introduced to the concept of a DAW amd taught about tracks , how to record etc. We didn't dive into mixing beyond a conceptual level

• Like 2

On 4/19/2023 at 11:29 AM, ALC said:

S1 6 Prime was introduced soon after Pro and Artist were, evidenced by this: https://pae-web.presonusmusic.com/uploads/bronto/files/presonus-so6-compare-versions_1_.pdf.

I can't find it on the current web page anymore.  If they discontinued it, that is unfortunate.

Update: actually, the above is evidence that they intended to release S1 6 Prime at some point.  I don't know if they ever did.

There is YouTube  channel dedicated to showing how to use S1 5 Prime and S1 6 Prime among other things.  The person uses S1 5, S1 6 and Cakewalk.

• Like 1

I was able to do quite a bit with prime. Yes, there are better options imo, it offers a lot for free and the limitations are less than what I started with ( a drum machine, a cheap keyboard, a few stomp pedals, a dj mixer,a radio shack spring reverb and two tape decks😂). The channel strip is garbage, but I find beginners tend to absolutely use EQ and compression wrong. I find I can get a better results from a beginner by teaching them good sound selection and a balanced mix than I can from them butchering eq and compression settings. The average middle school kid i find simply cranks bass on eq and struggle mightily to even understand what a compressor even is.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, dubdisciple said:

This channel is useful. I figured a lot of this out by the time these were published (like how to cheat the lack of busses with fx channels)

Yes, I liked how he did that, it was a great work around.

• Like 1

One nifty thing about Presence XT (even in Prime) is that it has GM sounds. So if you open a GM MIDI file in Studio One and you request to use GM, then S1 will fire up Presence XT in each track with the assigned GM sound. Sort of like you can open GM MIDI in Cakewalk using TTS-1, except in this case Presence XT is not multitimbral so it requires an instance on each track.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, abacab said:

One nifty thing about Presence XT (even in Prime) is that it has GM sounds. So if you open a GM MIDI file in Studio One and you request to use GM, then S1 will fire up Presence XT in each track with the assigned GM sound. Sort of like you can open GM MIDI in Cakewalk using TTS-1, except in this case Presence XT is not multitimbral so it requires an instance on each track.

4 hours ago, jesse g said:

Yes, I liked how he did that, it was a great work around.

Another workaround is using soundfonts in Presence XT. I converted multiple drumkits to soundfonts and also some 808 samples, including the grossly overused Spinz 808. 

Depending on how much all these add-ons combined cost, you're better off buying an interface which comes with an Artist license. I can't say for sure because the store from MyPresonus doesn't allow you to change the region and only displays prices in my currency and the website has decided it wants to not respond to any clicking I do unless I open crap in new tabs. Granted, that leads to the shop anyways and it automatically changes to my currency....

Although it's a bit hard to determine because, unlike Steinberg, they don't offer you a detailed comparison table which lists everything that's included in either version.

Edited by Bruno de Souza Lino

Does anyone know how long this upgrade offer will last?  I think I will just upgrade to Artist 6.1 from my Artist 1.   I love Cakewalk, however, it's time to learn something new.  When I purchased Presonus Studio One  Artist 1,  eleven years ago  that was my intention.   However,  my HD creashed and I just put the HD away will all of the software on it still in place and I never looked back.   Now,  it's time to learn something new and become somewhat proficient in using it because it looks as if Studio One will be around for quite a long time.

Edited by jesse g
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Bruno de Souza Lino said:

Depending on how much all these add-ons combined cost, you're better off buying an interface which comes with an Artist license.

I definitely agree with this, especially if you include the Presonus Studio Magic Suite into the equation and are starting out from scratch.  It’s arguably the most generous and useful bundle amongst the different hardware vendors.

https://support.presonus.com/hc/en-us/articles/115001121203-StudioMagic-Plug-in-Suite

7 minutes ago, jesse g said:

Does anyone know how long this upgrade offer will last?  I think I will just upgrade to Artist 6.1 from my Artist 1.   I love Cakewalk, however, it's time to learn something new.  When I purchased Presonus Studio One  Artist 1,  eleven years ago  that was my intention.   However,  my HD creashed and I just put the HD away will all of the software on it still in place and I never looked back.   Now,  it's time to learn something new and become somewhat proficient in using it because it looks as if Studio One will be around for quite a longe time.

Are you talking about the sale or just the regular upgrade? If the latter, you have two options: you can either upgrade to Artist 6 or to Professional 6 from whichever version you have. (I have Artist 2 which I got when they released it and had it for 20 bucks as a NAMM sale.)

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, jesse g said:

Does anyone know how long this upgrade offer will last?  I think I will just upgrade to Artist 6.1 from my Artist 1.

The Pro upgrade in the OP is a sale price.  The Artist upgrade price of $49.95 is not currently discounted.  PreSonus does 30% discounts when on sale, and when that happens, you can shop the retailers for better deals.

• Thanks 1

On 4/18/2023 at 5:49 PM, PavlovsCat said:

I picked up a Presonus Studio One Pro license back when Cakewalk announced they were closing down and Presonus extended a crossgrade offer. I used  Studio One a few times and I did like it. But when Bandlab bought Cakewalk, I decided to stick with the familiar. I'd be interested if anyone could share what they feel is a compelling advantage to using Studio One Pro over Cakewalk by Bandlab. 

performance and stability?

eta, when x1 came out i hated it, and it was rubbish, all for a more modern looking ui... s1 let me keep messing about with music, whereas x1 was a ss... and i just stuck with it 🤷‍♂️ and cw/sonar has a wedge of technical debt that make the new stuff more difficult to implement, whereas s1 was a fresh codebase

Edited by pwalpwal
  • Like 1