Presonus Studio One 6 Professional Upgrade from Professional/Producer (all versions)

cclarry

I picked up a Presonus Studio One Pro license back when Cakewalk announced they were closing down and Presonus extended a crossgrade offer. I used  Studio One a few times and I did like it. But when Bandlab bought Cakewalk, I decided to stick with the familiar. I'd be interested if anyone could share what they feel is a compelling advantage to using Studio One Pro over Cakewalk by Bandlab. 

Back when I was looking for a DAW, Cakewalk wasn't free, and it was down to Studio One (v2 at the time) and Sonar for a pretty comparable price. I just preferred the workflow of Studio One and went with it and never looked back. I think Studio One is awesome, but is starting to get expensive and unwieldy for what I'm doing.

If I were looking today or someone were to ask me, I'd say it's a no-brainer to pick Cakewalk by Bandlab. It does everything I think I'd need and has a great and talented community around it.  I'm super impressed at what BandLab has done with CakeWalk.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, PavlovsCat said:

I picked up a Presonus Studio One Pro license back when Cakewalk announced they were closing down and Presonus extended a crossgrade offer. I used  Studio One a few times and I did like it. But when Bandlab bought Cakewalk, I decided to stick with the familiar. I'd be interested if anyone could share what they feel is a compelling advantage to using Studio One Pro over Cakewalk by Bandlab. 

1. Very Stable Engine 
2. I love their implementation of Chord & Arranger tracks
3. I love (unlike @paulo ) the fact that the transport is at the bottom of the screen.
4. My Fader Port 16 is naturally tied to Studio One, unlike having to reset it for CbB
5. Their VST scan seems/feels faster than CbB

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I was using Studio One 3.x until 5.0.  At that time, I built a new PC and it just did not perform well with my system.  I made a test  with five tracks (VSTi) that bogged it down to crackles.  I switched to Cakewalk.  Cakewalk was happy with my CPU, but I felt it lacked the polish of Studio One.  I missed the chord track a lot (analyzing audio and extracting the chords),  the ease of arrangement and marker fiddling, and especially had difficulty getting some of my MIDI controllers to work with it.  Several months later later I tried Studio One again- maybe 5.2 by then?  They fixed compatibility with my system and I loaded the problem 5 track project, duplicated it up to 25 tracks, and S1 still had headroom to spare on the CPU.  I still rock between Bitwig and Studio One.  I love em' both.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

The challenge for moving to any new DAW is getting used to the new workflow, menus, keyboard shortcuts, etc.  The best way to go about it is to totally immerse yourself into the new DAW and use only it for about 3 weeks.  S1 has some killer features, but job one is getting the feel of it.  Definitely check out the videos.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have Studio one something at home that I paid for and never really used.  I was so tied to Cakewalk that I wasn't willing to learn it.  But NOW, If it will get me  upgrade to the newer version of Producer,   I will find it,  dig it out and grab that serial number.  LOL

Edited by jesse g
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, PavlovsCat said:

For me, the integration with Notion, the chord track and since v6 the lyrics.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bruno de Souza Lino said:

I might hold onto that for later. Since I have Artist 2, the upgrade to Producer or Professional 6 is almost the price of the full version, so I might save money and upgrade to Professional straight away.

An upgrade now would be to Professional.

There's no current Producer product, though maybe you can pick it up used for cheap.  I got mine up from the XChange Producer Software Collection and upgraded to S1 Pro 5.  The features I like in Pro are Listen Bus, Mix FX, and Show Mode.  I'll probably wait it out for another major release before upgrading.

4 hours ago, Bruno de Souza Lino said:

I might hold onto that for later. Since I have Artist 2, the upgrade to Producer or Professional 6 is almost the price of the full version, so I might save money and upgrade to Professional straight away.

Also, if you didn't know, Studio One 6 Artist now has support for VST plugins, so you could upgrade from S1 2 Artist to S1 6 Artist if you don't need all the advanced features of Professional.

42 minutes ago, mibby said:

I thought Artist was FREE??

Currently, it's Studio One Artist that's bundled with some hardware.  The free version is Studio One Prime.  This is the case at least since S1 4.  I don't know about before.

Edited by ALC

7 hours ago, Bapu said:

4. My Fader Port 16 is naturally tied to Studio One, unlike having to reset it for CbB

Have to agree with #4 Ed as it is nice to have it line of hardware tailored to your DAW of choice. Presonus did a great job

Would love if Bandlab made a line of hardware to tie in with Cakewalk.