Going mad: is there no way to filter the view of different MIDI channels?

Kyle May

I'm revisiting The Artist Formerly Known As SONAR™ again specifically for composing orchestral pieces etc. Bought a copy of X3 on Steam but didn't find myself using it much - too many little frustrations compared to Studio One. 

However I've come back to it because unlike S1, Sonar Cakewalk can handle multiple MIDI channels within a single MIDI track, which is much faster and more efficient for changing instrument articulations etc.  So I've got a single track for Violins I pointed to Kontakt with several patches, so within that track channel 1 = legato, channel 2=sustain, channel 3=spiccato etc etc.  This works great in Reaper, notes form each channel get a slightly different colour and there's loads of options to filter which ones you're looking at. I'll also be using it to write divisi parts (like four french horns playing individual notes). 

Try as I might though, Cakenar seems to just display all notes, all the time. I can add separate CCs for each instrument, and I can change the channel of notes using Track Inspector, but is there a way to filter so I only view notes from one channel at once? And is there a way to have notes on different channels display in different colours?  I've been googling for ages and can't find anything.

If not, then the main advantage of Sonalk is basically null and void so I might as well stick to track-per-articulation in Studio One :(

Colors in the PRV are per track. The PRV is not take lane aware so all lanes show up as a single track in the PRV. With data on different lanes and hide muted clips enabled in the PRV Options menu, it is possible to control was is shown in the PRV by muting clips in the track view.

• Like 1

I know what I'm going to say doesn't give you whatyou want, but...

You can highlight any midi tracks and view them together. There is only one track with dark blobs on the prv, and the others have grey blobs. You can quickly shift back and forth between which had focus.