Chez Café

Larry T.

Hey Hi. Latest composition...this is the first song I've used the CbB arpeggiator on, created and looped an SI Bass riff through it.... kind of Chris Isaak meets Pink Floyd and ends with my tribute to the great Wayne Shorter ( i don't do him justice but here it is) may he rest in peace 🎶🎶🎶🎶

link to Chez Café: https://larryterrano.bandcamp.com/track/chez-caf

cafe sketch 800x800 small.jpg

DAW: Cakewalk by Bandlab

pc: windows 10, i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40 GHz, 8GB ram, acoustic and electric guitars, focusrite scarlett solo, arturia minilab mkII, arturia analog lab 5 lite, CbB effects

reference speakers: M-Audio BX3

Edited by Larry T.
  • Like 2

Enjoyed it and the café pic. The bass groove is nice. I had a little trouble feeling the beat at first, and maybe like about at 13 sec it seems a little timing glitch? A few places I thought I felt the bass riff shift timing wise a tiny bit. It helped me connect to the beat when the drums started. Love the guitar and how the different instruments show up at the café. If I was doing this, I would put the bass riff into melodyne and just change it a little here and there. Nice piece. Arpeggiators can be so much fun.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Lynn Wilson said:

I like the sparseness of this tune and the uncommon arrangement.  It's melodic but not overly sweet, kinda like the way I like my desserts.  Is this a finished product, or do you plan on adding more?  Regardless, it's a cool jam!

Thanks Lynn. Appreciate the listen. I don't know if I'll expand this. The arpeggiator riff was done first and everything else just kind of fell into place. 🎶🎶🎶🎶

3 hours ago, treesha said:

Enjoyed it and the café pic. The bass groove is nice. I had a little trouble feeling the beat at first, and maybe like about at 13 sec it seems a little timing glitch? A few places I thought I felt the bass riff shift timing wise a tiny bit. It helped me connect to the beat when the drums started. Love the guitar and how the different instruments show up at the café. If I was doing this, I would put the bass riff into melodyne and just change it a little here and there. Nice piece. Arpeggiators can be so much fun.

Thanks treesha. I checked the projects time ruler m:b:t positions around 13 sec thinking I was off a beat or three when I copied it there but it is placed correctly and the  time between the other loops matches up exactly and, also, I quantized the notes in SI Bass, then dragged it over to the arpeggiator track and then made the loop, all with snap enabled so as to keep it all in time. There are a few timing changes in the song, which is the exact opposite feel that an arpeggiated loop is supposed to have, but that's just me, lol! Really, the loop came first and I wrote everything around/centered on it. I was curious to see how many variations could sit with the loop and still make sense, so the whole thing was a bit of an experiment/learning experience. I haven't tried melodyne yet but thanks for the info, I thought it was strictly for vocals🎶🎶🎶🎶

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mark skinner said:

Enjoyed that ride. I especially liked the acoustic guitar Suttle strums in some of the sections and the interweaving you did with the various instruments.  The bass guitar groove was hypnotic.    Nice ..   mark

Thanks mark. I didn't think an acoustic guitar would work with a arpegg loop but thought to give it a try and wound up liking it. The bass guitar groove....I was just moving meter levels around in the arpegg window for awhile and settled on that one as the most accessible, had the nicest groove and seemed to hold my attention throughout the piece 🎶🎶🎶🎶

12 hours ago, Larry T. said:

Thanks treesha. I checked the projects time ruler m:b:t positions around 13 sec thinking I was off a beat or three when I copied it there but it is placed correctly and the  time between the other loops matches up exactly and, also, I quantized the notes in SI Bass, then dragged it over to the arpeggiator track and then made the loop, all with snap enabled so as to keep it all in time. There are a few timing changes in the song, which is the exact opposite feel that an arpeggiated loop is supposed to have, but that's just me, lol! Really, the loop came first and I wrote everything around/centered on it. I was curious to see how many variations could sit with the loop and still make sense, so the whole thing was a bit of an experiment/learning experience. I haven't tried melodyne yet but thanks for the info, I thought it was strictly for vocals🎶🎶🎶🎶

Re melodyne. I have version 5 and use it on everything but rarely on drums like to fix a timing issue or alter the pitch of a kick drum slightly to fit the song better. I have created new variation parts, backing vocals, guitar and bass riff changes, to lengthen notes, to change formants/tone on notes. It can definitely be used creatively as well as for corrections. Great fun!

Edited by treesha
Info
  • Like 1

On 4/21/2023 at 7:01 PM, Johnbee58 said:

So nice to hear a tribute to the sax great Wayne Shorter. The sounds are great enough for a tribute song.  Very nice.

😀John B

Thanks John. Wayne's phrasing, choice of notes and melody lines will always be inspiring🎶🎶🎶🎶

On 4/22/2023 at 1:37 AM, Bajan Blue said:

I like the Bass rif - cool

Really interesting track - sparse but fascinating - good stuff

Nigel

Thanks Nigel. Yes, with only 8GB of ram I have to be careful what instruments/VST's I can comfortably utilize. Some of the VST's I have use way too much. Hopefully be upgrading the pc soon🎶🎶🎶🎶