BFD 3 $99

cclarry

31 minutes ago, PavlovsCat said:

How is BFD3 coming along? It's been out for more than a decade, right? And 9 out of ten posts I've seen about it have been about problems with the plugin.  It's kept me from upgrading from BFD Eco even though it would only be $49 USD. 

BFD3 always sounded great, but I absolutely hated working with it and using the groove editor always felt like a chore.

I was prepping my license to resell and somehow it managed to completely disappear from the registration system...I never even bothered to chase it up. 

2 hours ago, Craig Fowler said:

BFD3 always sounded great, but I absolutely hated working with it and using the groove editor always felt like a chore.

I was prepping my license to resell and somehow it managed to completely disappear from the registration system...I never even bothered to chase it up. 

not sure how long you had a license but wonder if it happened around when BFD was acquired in 2020 by inmusic? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Think their systems changed when that happened & maybe some data got lost in the shuffle, have you logged in at the inmusic site already to check for your license?  That’s where mine show now at least

I use it on an M1 Macbook in Reaper (using Rosetta I think).

I love it.

I like the GUI a lot more than SD3, changing any part of the kit is a breeze and faster than SD3, which to me is a hassle).

I don't mind the groove editor, to me is more of the same as SD3, I make my own grooves anyway.

I really expect it won't become abandonware ( >I've read it won't,  that they are removing the fxpansion part of it whatever that means) and that eventually will be universal coded (they sure have taken an eternity doing so).

Not trying to convince you to buy it, just saying I like it over SD3 and SSD5, and if I had money to throw away I would buy the company and fix it myself ( lots of libraries sound like drums should sound and not plastic like SD3).

IMHO.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, PavlovsCat said:

How is BFD3 coming along? It's been out for more than a decade, right? And 9 out of ten posts I've seen about it have been about problems with the plugin.  It's kept me from upgrading from BFD Eco even though it would only be $49 USD. 

It's worth the upgrade.

Bfd3 got an update after the InMusic acquisition, which fixed a lot of the issues people had. I find it stable enough now. There is always an issue with occasional need for activation, but it's no worse than other companies.

Also, if you're into endlessly tweaking your kit then bfd is great for that. Some other drum VSTs are a bit limited in that respect. I personally think you can get closer to a 'realistic' clean drum sound with bfd. But that's only my HO.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, John Maar said:

I hope I'm wrong, but it seems to me that InMusic is where music software goes to die (AIR, in my case). Not a single update in several years.

I'm with you regarding inMusic. IMO that is the only company worse than Waves.

I've never used BFD, but based on the track record of other software that inMusic have acquired (and I have a shedload of it), I'd be less likely to get involved with them again.

I hope they do right with BFD for all of the existing users out there. ;)

FWIW I've had it installed(!) since the switch and have never used it since. Back in the fxpansion days I may have used BFD twice.

These days (in BBZ which begat BJZ which begat Citizen Regen) I've been relying on real drums played by a real drummer (Hugo Ribeiro),

In the old days I relied on a combo of AD2, SSD4/5, EZDrummer and Superior.

I play acoustic drums, and use them for my recordings. I used to have a Roland v-drum kit and used it in tandem with BFD 1, 2 and 3.  I was happy with the overall experience.

I will say, when fxpansion sold them to inmusic there were speedbumps relating to the transition, new authorizations etc. My sense of things is that fxpansion was a better company to deal with.

I used Toontrack's Drum Kit from Hell wayyy back on the day, when the tech overall was in its infancy. At that time, BFD  was a step up. 

In summary, BFD3 is a good product but the support side of things is maybe uncertain.

I don't think I've ever been so disappointed with seeing the "new" version as I was with BFD3. I held off buying BFD2 at the time because v3 was imminent. I still bought BFD3 because the consensus was that it was good, but man that UI.... I know it shouldn't matter really as it's all about the sound at the end of the day, but it doesn't make me want to spend too long looking at it. On my system at least it also seems to grab a lot of RAM that it didn't let go of when swapping kits which would then result in crashes, which soon becomes old, so mostly for that reason I very rarely use it these days, which is a shame  because it did sound ok.

• Like 1

Got v3 when it was $49 last year, i like to produce offline bc I’m not a fan of leaving my computer connected to the internet. I don’t like that it needs to do an authorization check every 90 days or else you can’t use what you paid for. But for what I paid I guess it’s w/e. I do like that plugin boutique has good sales on the expansions sometimes, and the GUI isn’t littered with animations that bog down CPU. I am an acoustic drummer first, & also use this in tandem with Roland TD-4, mapping took a minute but it’s solid for my needs, velocity articulations pick up well. Keep my libraries (core & jazz noir) on an external drive & everything runs smooth for me on 8gb RAM. Can’t compare with SD3 since I don’t have it, but I also use BFD in conjunction with Trigger 2 to beef up the sound and it makes for an even better experience in my case

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/15/2023 at 11:54 AM, paulo said:

I don't think I've ever been so disappointed with seeing the "new" version as I was with BFD3. I held off buying BFD2 at the time because v3 was imminent. I still bought BFD3 because the consensus was that it was good, but man that UI.... I know it shouldn't matter really as it's all about the sound at the end of the day, but it doesn't make me want to spend too long looking at it. On my system at least it also seems to grab a lot of RAM that it didn't let go of when swapping kits which would then result in crashes, which soon becomes old, so mostly for that reason I very rarely use it these days, which is a shame  because it did sound ok.

I might remove it from my systems.  There's way too many issues that would take me hours n google just to solve.  I don't think mine even makes sound.   There's so many drum modules not named BFD that just works right after installation.  It's a bad example of any developer trying to protect the product that is on par with Yellow Tools.  There's just something really wrong with it burdened by authorization.

• Like 1