"Demented Circus"

PhonoBrainer

Oh, I love this.  So much going on here and everytime a new instrument was added to the layers it got better and better.

I'm certainly not qualified to critique anything about the mix other than to say it sounded great to me.

Only two small nits were there was something about the sound of the horns that struck me as a little off when the came in at 0:42.  When other instruments come in later though, I didn't notice as much.    Other thing is I loved the solo piano section in the middle, but for me it when on just a little too long without adding something else back in.

Great job!

• Like 1

Hey Tom, fantastic piece of music, love it, very creative. The only suggestion I have is to replace the bass sound in the first part with a tuba for that extra demented circus sound. Great job, really!

• Like 1

@Jesse Screed - ha! glad you like it and thanks, I think a silent film soundtrack would be cool!

@jwnicholson78 - two excellent points. Thanks! It's obscure, and utterly unknowable to the listener, but that piano part "breakdown" represents something. That's all played in by me one take, unedited. Previously in bands I have been guilty of soloing too long, and in this case, the other band pieces have just stopped - and there I go, slowly realizing that I am the only one playing. It's embarrassing but ya gotta keep going . . . and then eventually it all comes back together. I'm sure that just leaves the listener utterly clueless as to what is going on - - - but that I think is intentional on my part. It adds something to the demented nature? Anyway, thanks so much, your input was very useful!

@amiller - very cool, glad you liked it and thanks for the ear time.

@Rik - the tuba I never thought of but it's a great add. I'll scour about one. Thanks for the listen!

• Like 1

What creativity!!  I love the the way that you introduce, layer in and then quite the instrumentation.  I think a lot of different styles and genre are cover in one song --- circus music, raz-matz 1920's Jazz, the theme to Midsomer Murders mixed with deliverance banjo, etc., etc.  What a great song to listen to!!

Tom
that nice bass riff at very beginning got me hooked
somewhere in there I was thinking this would make a good Fellini movie soundtrack
~2:44 cool intro into new section
I lost track of all the different instruments but the theremin stood out. Oh and also the piano player. He's really good.

the more I listen to it, the more unfinished this sounds. Many thanks for the encouragement so far.

@Lynnmany thanks, the inspirating is mutual.

@freddy j - thank you, I appreciate it. I think it needs some more cohesion, perhaps there is too much in the kitchen sink.

@Wookiee - smiling, affirmative! Many thanks. I am slowly but surely working my way up to have the balls to write a proper electro-jazz piece a la Caravan Palace. Figuring this one out will hopefully help me do that.

@bjornpdx- thanks much. There is a little Fellini in there for sure. 

@Joad - thanks, man! I listened to the Kurt Weill (I was only passably familiar, I had once played piano for a German woman who sand his songs) and yes very much in line with what I am trying on here. In that video, about half way through, there came some electric guitar/singer guy, sounded like Lou Reed trying to be a straight singer. WTF???  Thanks for the tip!

• Like 1

Tom,

Fantastic song and production, very creative.   The only "critique" I can find (since you are looking for them) is that the horns seem pretty stiff and straight.    I think they need to swing a bit more to get with the rest of the track, particularly in the beginning.  I might also add a little muted trumpet riff in the very beginning just before the bass comes in to set the tone for what's coming.   I was initially thinking, "this really needs some horns," and of course they came just a bit later.   Couple places the drums could also swing a bit more...   That said, had a few listens through and found it a very excellent listen.       Love the latin vibe that comes in after the piano break.    

The piano is so good....really enjoy your playing.  

Regards

On 8/2/2019 at 10:06 PM, emeraldsoul said:

This one could use some critiques and some mix ideas fer sure. Happy to hear any comments, and thank you for your time!     -Tom

I gave it a listen.  Very creative effort and lots of interesting elements with this one.  I can sense the 'circus' vibe quite easily.  I like it.

I get the feeling  that this one may have been a real mixing challenge.....but, I've been wrong in the past. :)

Well done....

Many different sounds going on there.  Like a potpourri.  Love the old fashioned groove.  Different for you, but you can do anything musically.  I have no critiques.  This is the kind of music I wish I could make more of.

🙂John B

Edited by Johnbee58