Despite My Situation - album

jmasno5

Hello everyone!  It has been a long time since I posted any new music (late 2017).   Last year I wanted to try my hand at writing a bunch of new songs before recording them.  The recording and mixing part took a lot longer than expected.  An hour here, two hours there for months (but fun).  Here is my effort, an album titled, "Despite My Situation."    I hope you have a moment to listen to a track or two.  Thanks.

https://masarone.bandcamp.com/album/despite-my-situation

album2019-1400.jpg.7873c6417a389e3f31241bb0dc10ce0f.jpg

Edited by jmasno5
  • Like 2

Hey John ,congrats on your album, couldn’t get all songs to play,flaky internet, but what I heard was mighty immpressive, I especially like no12 turning to dust, great vocals and guitars.

• Like 1

Hi John - I would be very proud if this collection was mine. Lots of cool variety and approaches in the songwriting. The mixes (I ran about six of the tunes) all held up, nice separation, and nothing really poked out weird.

My favorite was Bass over 4 . . . it illustrates a great aspect of your songwriting which is taking a conventional rhythm and tweaking it into something more original and interesting.

If you like "bass over 4" you might dig a four piece jazz funk band called "Junk" . . .

cheers,

-Tom

• Like 1

Kudos on the album.  I couldn't help but be impressed with the variety of styles of music.  I listened to most of the songs and was also impressed with the job that you did.  The mixes sounded very good and the performances were excellent.

Great work!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, emeraldsoul said:

If you like "bass over 4" you might dig a four piece jazz funk band called "Junk" . . . 

I watched "JUNK - JAZZFUNK - BAND @ Mary Lloyd Bar - Hackney" on YouTube. 

Yeah, so great!  Loved it!  Thanks.

Hi ,

congratulations!!!!!

It is something important to bring a project up to a kind of reality ...

To be honest, I am not sure I wll buy the album , but it helps me spend a cool evening ,better than listening to the radio .

Funny , it brings me back to , I don't know .... Somewhere between CSNY and some more recent productions....

But , sorry sorry, you know ,what makes  me buy an album is it that it does not lead me  back ,but it brings me somewhere I have never been.....(Hendrix on his time and this one I miss :Amy Winehouse...they did something never done before ,according to me , that's why music while  being a business is also an art!!!)

Your album is great , and again, it is cool time spent in the evening with your music...

Carry on and  maybe one day , the unknown will come out from your guitar or from your writing.....

Anyway , again, perfect production, good playing and cool singing .

Thanks for sharing.

Olivier

.....mmmh maybe I will buy it😎😎

Edited by vilovilo
  • Like 1

Sorry ,sorry .

I know I am getting loud !!!!!

But .... You master ,playing ,writing and producing .....

So go on ( you know the Corrs song!!!)  You are close to bring us something really cool !!!!

Put away all technical thoughts , You master them !!! And just offer us what you would really want to offer us !!!!!!!!

sorry for the edit !!!!!

But ,according to me , You should also throw away all the conventions ( After the fifth must come the one or the fourth or the minor six  and so on ....)  

Just to say I am a fan!!!!

Edited by vilovilo
  • Like 1

Hey, all I can say is this is something I would like to do someday...need....to....develop.....patience.  Very inspiring

I really appreciate all the arrangements.

The vocals are recorded nicely, my only crit is this, I would like them to be more upfront,they could be a db louder, but I say that to everyone, so maybe it is just me.

You are a very good guitar player and you mixed in many different tones and styles.

Is that a real drummer?  Or did you program all that? If so, you think like a drummer.

I hear room noise, or tape hiss, or something,  at the beginning of all the songs, that is not a complaint, it just leads me to ask how this was recorded, was it all overdubs, or was everyone in the room at the same time, how much of it was DI, or in the box? 

Right Hand to God...nice

Very nice.

Anyway, you have shown us all what is possible.

Cheers

• Like 1

On the fourth song now, and you got me!! It just gets better and better!! So far the album line up is spot on buddy!! Like I said, you got me! I am impressed. And I am talking about the song quality, not the mixing or playing. Great hooks, each song stands on it's own and shows it's own style. 

First song gave me a feel of a Ska band, I kept waiting to hear some horns come in!! But they never did, and the song never suffered!! Title trk was excellent. Really like the falsetto that you put in there. Vocals on that are just really good and raw!! And the guitar solo is on the money!! Very pop and I love it! Love the end!!

Next two songs just reinforced what I had already heard. Just excellent song writing. Sometimes Going Back great hook in that chorus!!

Guess I wrote enough. If you can't tell, I like it! :)

• Like 1

18 hours ago, vilovilo said:

To be honest, I am not sure I wll buy the album , but it helps me spend a cool evening ,better than listening to the radio .

Thank you Olivier!

No, you don't have to buy the album and I do not expect you to.  I use bandcamp.com streaming because it sounds a lot better than soundcloud.com or reverbnation.com.    broadjam.com is good but their setup is old school compared to other platforms. 

Enjoy!

John

15 hours ago, Jesse Screed said:

The vocals are recorded nicely, my only crit is this, I would like them to be more upfront,they could be a db louder, but I say that to everyone, so maybe it is just me.

You are a very good guitar player and you mixed in many different tones and styles.

Is that a real drummer?  Or did you program all that? If so, you think like a drummer.

I hear room noise, or tape hiss, or something,  at the beginning of all the songs, that is not a complaint, it just leads me to ask how this was recorded, was it all overdubs, or was everyone in the room at the same time, how much of it was DI, or in the box?

Jesse,

Thanks for listen and you complements.

I'm actually the opposite when it comes to lead vocals.    I like them "in the mix" instead of on top, or  in front of.  It's all taste. 

A lot of the guitars were recorded clean and then amp'd with plugins.  I will probably do this less in the future as I did not realize the amount of CPU power required for many gtr parts.

I used Toontrack for drums.  However, I only used three kits because I wanted continuity between the songs.  The drum kit "is the room" you are recording in. 

The noise comes from plugins and guitars. 

Yes, everyone was in the same room.    That would just be me and my cup of coffee 😁 

3 hours ago, Grem said:

And I am talking about the song quality, not the mixing or playing. Great hooks, each song stands on it's own and shows it's own style.

Michael,

Thanks for the great complements! 

A long time ago I realized that some of my favorite Classic Rock songs didn't really have great mixes, just were great songs.    Before I record a song I do a demo with just a click, guitar, and vocal.   When you do this for a lot of you own songs all at once, you can not help but become objective about your own music.  Believe me, you don't want to hear the songs that were cut from this project.  I'm not sure I want to either:)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jmasno5 said:

I'm actually the opposite when it comes to lead vocals.    I like them "in the mix" instead of on top, or  in front of.  It's all taste. 

I don't understand why artists even write lyrics anymore when they sit them in the mix.

two things make a track, the beat, and the vocals/lyrics

otherwise who cares

call my Pollyanna

regardless, I'm off to try what you did

14 hours ago, Jesse Screed said:

I don't understand why artists even write lyrics anymore when they sit them in the mix.

two things make a track, the beat, and the vocals/lyrics

otherwise who cares

call my Pollyanna

regardless, I'm off to try what you did 

Please don't misunderstand.  I said I like the vocals, "in the mix," not unintelligible.