Last Night's Gig

bitflipper

It was a great gig. Hoppin' joint in a beautiful location, and close to home. We've already been asked back and hope it becomes a regular stop on our circuit.

But jeez, I have never been so beat at the end of a gig. Played from 8:00 until 1:00. The last set was purely muscle memory because my frontal cortex had checked out around midnight. 

I've always assumed that a day would come when I'd have to admit that I'm too old for this. But dammit, I refuse to accept that day might have been yesterday.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, bitflipper said:

I didn't intend for it sound so negative

LOL! It wasn't.  And I need to apologize for coming off so negative in my response.

Playing out live all those years was some of the best times of my life. 

I was just contemplating my own present "physical shape I am in" and realized hauling equipment would be harder on me that I may think. 

No, I do not want to discourage anyone from the joys of playing to a live audience. It is something every musician must experience. 

Edited by Grem
  • Like 1

I did 20 gigs last month. Most of them with no break.

The season is winding down, we only have 16 this month.

Ya gotta keep doing it, or else it'll get to you.

During COVID, when we were unemployed for 2 years, Mrs. Notes and I set up our gear and practiced an our per day, at least 5 days a week. We learned new songs, play the old ones in rotation.

Then after the plague, we had our first gig, and after the first hour we were ready to quit !!! - but had two more to go.

But we got back in the groove quickly.

Notes ♫

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, henkejs said:

Hey Dave, does your band have a website or someplace listing your gigs? It'd be fun to check out a show some time.

Now THAT question sounds familiar! 😁

See Dave's reply to me when I asked that same thing (note that the preview doesn't show my question): 

Edited by craigb

Most of our gigs are in places you'd need satellite assistance to locate. Next up: Concrete, WA on the 28th. Skiers might know Concrete as the wide spot in the road on the way up to Stevens Pass. But those small towns are starved for live music and are loudly appreciative, if not always big tippers.

3 hours ago, Notes_Norton said:

I'd hoped you'd stop by and remind me that I'm just being a big wuss. I only play out 2 or 3 times a month. Last Summer it was 4 times a month, but we decided that was too much.  

11 hours ago, Grem said:

hauling equipment

That would be a reason for sure. The pandemic put an end to "open mic" nights in this area, but we had a few bands that would set up their gear and let others use it. Not a lot would participate in that (so the band played most of the time), but it was awesome for playing a few songs and then going off to just socialize.  Very laid back bunch of folks in one of those bands (Pat Martino gave the guy who ran it a guitar when he was recovering from a bout with cancer), but I am not sure if such a thing is really that common. I am in the boonies here, so most folks know each other at events like that.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, bitflipper said:

Most of our gigs are in places you'd need satellite assistance to locate. Next up: Concrete, WA on the 28th. Skiers might know Concrete as the wide spot in the road on the way up to Stevens Pass. But those small towns are starved for live music and are loudly appreciative, if not always big tippers.

OK, maybe something a little closer to Seattle would tempt me to come out to see your band. Especially since I'd have to stay up way past my bedtime. 😄

21 hours ago, bitflipper said:
On 4/10/2023 at 10:50 AM, Notes_Norton said:

I'd hoped you'd stop by and remind me that I'm just being a big wuss. I only play out 2 or 3 times a month. Last Summer it was 4 times a month, but we decided that was too much.  

I get tired at the end of a gig, it's a good kind of tired, though. But let me tell you this, as most musicians know, at the end of the night, the gear is a lot heavier to move than it was when setting up. I figure there are tons of unused notes still inside.

If I only did 2 or 3 times a month, I'd go broke. Music is all I do to buy the groceries.

I've only had a couple of real jobs in my life, so that makes me the wuss.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, henkejs said:

OK, maybe something a little closer to Seattle would tempt me to come out to see your band.

Next gig in Seattle is on June 9th, at a place we haven't played before called The Shanty Tavern. It's on Lake City Way, but that's all I know about the place.

We'll be at a little hole-in-the-wall joint in Edmonds on August 12th. It's a lively venue, but claustrophobic. When we were a 6-piece I ended up playing in front of the ladies' restroom. Lovely aroma.

September 1 we're in Carnation, at a brewery called Remlinger Farm. That one might be fun. $2.00 off pig wings! They have a train. And ponies.

Everything else on the calendar is up north and/or out in the boonies, e.g. Sedro-Woolly, Rockport, Goldbar. There's a date in Clinton, which is close by but requires a ferry to get to. I hate taking ferries in summer. The tourists with their RVs take all the fun out of an otherwise pleasant boat ride.

• Thanks 1

Unfortunately, one member of our group has a normal day job and cannot travel too far because of that. So for example we'll do islands, but draw the line at mountains. And anything that involves driving through Tacoma. So we won't be appearing in Vantucky or Portlandia.

2 hours ago, bitflipper said:

appearing in Vantucky or Portlandia.

Being from down south here, and having my son recently make the move to Washington, am I right in assuming that these are referring to Vancouver and Portland?

And can I use that in a conversation safely when I visit!!?