Song Association Game :D

Notes_Norton

Traffic's version of Low Spark Of High Heeled Boys was from 1971. So was Graham Nash's Military Madness.

So much sadness . . .

And after the wars are over / And the body count is finally filed
I hope that The Man discovers / What's driving the people wild

Military madness is killing your country / So much sadness, between you and me
War, War, War, War, War, War

Traffic drummer Jim Capaldi started writing this song in Morocco, where he was getting ready to make a movie called Nevertheless with actor Michael J. Pollard. The film project fell through, but did lead to one of Traffic's best-known songs. Said Capaldi: "Pollard and I would sit around writing lyrics all day, talking about Bob Dylan and the Band, thinking up ridiculous plots for the movie. Before I left Morocco, Pollard wrote in my book 'The Low Spark of High Heeled Boys.' For me, it summed him up. He had this tremendous rebel attitude. He walked around in his cowboy boots, his leather jacket. At the time he was a heavy little dude. It seemed to sum up all the people of that generation who were just rebels. The 'Low Spark,' for me, was the spirit, high-spirited. You know, standing on a street corner. The low rider. The 'Low Spark' meaning that strong undercurrent at the street level." 

If I gave you everything that I owned / And asked for nothing in return
Would you do the same for me as I would for you / Or take me for a ride
And strip me of everything, including my pride / But spirit is something that no one destroys
And the sound that I'm hearing is only the sound of / The low spark of high-heeled boys

BONUS TRACK!!!!!!! Traffic live version from 1972 (13'46" concert video).  

Edited by User 905133
(4) to add a like to Traffic video; (3) to add a quote from "The Low Spark of High Heeled Boys"; (2) to add a quote from "Military Madness"; (1) to add a blurb about "Low Spark of High Heeled Boys"
  • Like 2