IK Pick and Mix Group Buy

cclarry

On 8/10/2019 at 8:29 PM, Grem said:

Same thing I am thinking for the Modo Drums. I can wait! They will get my money for sure. Just not at full price!!

MODO DRUM is currently not full price, though :)

On 8/10/2019 at 9:18 PM, sarine said:

The only developers I know who won't take you from behind (without consent) are:

•  Melda Production
  • ValhallaDSP
  • Xfer Records

Either they don't run sales at all (Valhalla, Xfer) designed to deteriorate your judgement by abusing some evolution-programmed animal instinct hell-bent on reserving resources (real or imaginary), that in this absurd modern setting translates to toys for adults, that you can only not call toys because you're an adult and you can simply proclaim your toys as tools of production to elevate their symbolic status above what they actually are - or they do run a more predictable sale campaign by the schedule AND they reward you for all the money you spend on their stuff (Melda).

Want to not get F'ed in the A? Buy from these folks. They're also quite nice and competitive at what they do.

Know more? Feel free to give them some deserved rep and differentiate them from the cheapskates with their "sales", "offers" and "coupons". 👻

These are NOT great bargains and you're NOT winning - the whole system is purpose-built for milking you. Not only are YOU losing in the big picture because chasing these unnecessary "bargains" (whose whole motive and justification is that they expand the customer segment and sales beyond those who ACTUALLY NEED the crap 🐙) occupies a gigantic space in your mind in a world and era where every peaceful minute of your time that you could take to slow down and enjoy life is increasingly a rarity (and more precious than the fleeting euphoria from "grabbing a bargain"), but the small independent software developers are also being elbowed out of the industry by the determined devaluating of the fruits of their labor. You think the $29 is sweet? You'll get sweeter until your teeth rot!

Sorry to hear you feel that we have nefarious intentions of some sort.  Of course we're a business and will sell our products to stay in business, but we're not trying to do anybody dirty by any means.  As far as "not winning" I'll have to disagree - even before I was associated with IK Multimedia I knew that IK's plugins were quality and both AmpliTube and T-RackS have improved above and beyond that too.  Regardless of what you feel about how we have sales, these are top-shelf plugins.   Smaller companies are also making quality plugins but please don't use that as a way to try to distract from the fact that we're making some of the best-sounding plugins on the market.    And we're giving people an opportunity to get a ton of them for a great price.  Sounds like win/win to me, meaning that people who are getting the deal are the real winners here.

We also do not elbow anybody out of anything.  I think you'd be surprised by how friendly plugin companies of all sizes are with each other.  We like to hang when we can (usually around the trade shows, at least to physically hang) and communicate quite frequently among management, support staff, developers, basically at all levels of company and employee.

Plus, just a side note that I feel referring to our group buy and sales by other companies who are also creators of very useful and quality audio tools in such a vulgar fashion is a bit much.

16 hours ago, Fleer said:

I’m thinking to get the four Tapies, plus Amplitube Orange, Jimi, Slash, and maybe Darrell. Talk me out of it, will someone?

Sure, I'll talk you out... wait, no I wont.  :D

16 hours ago, Mesh said:

Get it....get it.....get it, and then rock it!!

I'll just agree with this per the above!

16 hours ago, Grem said:

If you ain't got the Fender 2 collection, I'd highly recommend it.

And the Fulltone is also a big favorite of mine. I am a suker for chorus, and that TERC is really the cream of the crop for me. You also get the OCD distortion pedal that I think is the best of the bunch in Amplitube.

As a side note, has anyone tried that Tube Comp that comes with Amplitube? I love that thing.

Good luck with that!! : )

Tube Comp is an unsung hero.  I'm totally on board with the Fulltone, it is a great part of AmpliTube, and the TERC tickles my 80s chorus nostalgia in a way that probably isn't suited for discussing openly in public :)

15 hours ago, Magic Russ said:

For chorus, I prefer the MXR Chorus from the Slash package and the Wampler Nirvana. 

I'm totally with you on the OCD drive though.  That and the Pinnacle would be my favorite drives.

If they do an expanded Wampler collection, I'm in.

Good idea on the Wampler extended collection.  I'd be itno that too and also agree about the Pinnacle as being a great (but oft-overlooked) AmpliTube effect.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Peter - IK Multimedia said:

Sorry to hear you feel that we have nefarious intentions of some sort.  Of course we're a business and will sell our products to stay in business, but we're not trying to do anybody dirty by any means.

Not nefarious beyond the standard levels of exploitativeness, i.e. business as usual. You're not standing out in particular, and none of my comments were aimed at IK specifically - I was simply responding to some murmuring about perceived injustice because I had something to say about what I consider low-brow marketing tactics (which, again, is business as usual). You're not trying to do dirty any more than you could expect from the next guy on average. It's not that you are EVIL, you're just active proponents of culture and practices that I find dishonest, distasteful and exploitative, whether you TRY to be those things, and whether you would employ the same tactics in your personal relationships, but in the context of and excused by the business, the low-brow crap is business as usual.

As far as "not winning" I'll have to disagree - even before I was associated with IK Multimedia I knew that IK's plugins were quality and both AmpliTube and T-RackS have improved above and beyond that too.  Regardless of what you feel about how we have sales, these are top-shelf plugins.  

I don't doubt that you guys make quality stuff, indeed regardless of how you sell them, because the two facets are unconnected. I didn't bring it up myself because it isn't a very interesting point in this discussion. It is of course worth bringing up from your defensive stance, in a thread about a promotional sale of your products. So let me say it again: I don't doubt that you guys at least do some decent DSP.  Your (you, Peter) presence online is also highly valuable to IK, and I hope they give you enough credit. Judging by everything I've seen, you do fine PR. Which is why it'll be easy for me to also forgive some of your rhetoric.

Smaller companies are also making quality plugins but please don't use that as a way to try to distract from the fact that we're making some of the best-sounding plugins on the market.    And we're giving people an opportunity to get a ton of them for a great price.  Sounds like win/win to me, meaning that people who are getting the deal are the real winners here.

Honest truth: I forgot this was "your thread" (i.e. relating to your group buy) when I wrote the rant. But here's a thought: Maybe instead of just defending your business (and/or your honor), you might as well think about the aforementioned murmuring that arises from people's subjective experience of getting "F'ed in the A" (as South Park eloquently put it) by a company whom they support, due to perceived injustice in rewarding (or rather not) customer "loyalty" in pricing. I said think about it. That's all.

We also do not elbow anybody out of anything.  I think you'd be surprised by how friendly plugin companies of all sizes are with each other.  We like to hang when we can (usually around the trade shows, at least to physically hang) and communicate quite frequently among management, support staff, developers, basically at all levels of company and employee.

Not deliberately and unashamedly openly anyway. You'd be surprised that I'm not surprised because I know people in the industry, THIS industry AND other technology industries, and I have a pretty realistic viewpoint on reality, which on average isn't ill-meaning and evil. But my perception has also been that especially the software entertainment industry is suffering from the same dumb consumer culture and low-brow marketing tactics - the former enabling the latter, and the latter motivating the former.

Again it's not about malice, but the gold rush culture, exploitative marketing, and quite frankly; snake oil. Mountains upon mountains of snake oil, running from the highest peak all the way to bottom of the ocean. The snake oil element in the marketing of tools of production for the creative industry alone would be worth writing books about, and falls under the umbrella of "exploitative" in my criticism. It is so elusive that it has managed to become a proper product in the consumer's eyes - or many products rather, with its endless shapeshifting abilities - and comes with many names, one of the most successful being "inspiration".

Plus, just a side note that I feel referring to our group buy and sales by other companies who are also creators of very useful and quality audio tools in such a vulgar fashion is a bit much.

Again, I wasn't referring to your group buy specifically, neither overtly nor covertly - you just happened to stand where I was firing. Not by pure accident obviously, because the discussion took place here, but it could have happened in many other places, so don't read too much into it. Other than that, your criticism is well received.

7 hours ago, Peter - IK Multimedia said:

Yeah but you got the group buy going on and I am in on that right now!! Ya'll can't get all my money!!!   😁

Same thing happened when MODO Bass came out, there was something else going on that I was buying. So I missed the intro price and waited and waited and waited and..... I finally got it now!!

Edited by Grem

14 hours ago, Grem said:

Yeah but you got the group buy going on and I am in on that right now!! Ya'll can't get all my money!!!   😁

Same thing happened when MODO Bass came out, there was something else going on that I was buying. So I missed the intro price and waited and waited and waited and..... I finally got it now!!

I'll settle for most. :)

Edit - but only via the special PayPal link I'll PM ;)

Edited by Peter - IK Multimedia
  • Haha 3

20 minutes ago, Greg said:

Bummer. Recently bought the tape collection and Darrell is the only IK item item I don't  have in this list. 

I was actually shocked that they included that, as I had just bought it too...so kind of a bummer...
but NICE for people who didn't pony up the coin!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Peter - IK Multimedia said:

Sorry to hear you feel that we have nefarious intentions of some sort.  Of course we're a business and will sell our products to stay in business, but we're not trying to do anybody dirty by any means.  As far as "not winning" I'll have to disagree - even before I was associated with IK Multimedia I knew that IK's plugins were quality and both AmpliTube and T-RackS have improved above and beyond that too.  Regardless of what you feel about how we have sales, these are top-shelf plugins.   Smaller companies are also making quality plugins but please don't use that as a way to try to distract from the fact that we're making some of the best-sounding plugins on the market.    And we're giving people an opportunity to get a ton of them for a great price.  Sounds like win/win to me, meaning that people who are getting the deal are the real winners here.

Pete I don't know how you sorted that out.   I guess the proof is IK group buys never fails in its goal.  The same can be said about Orange Tree and HG Sounds.  It's nice they added some hardware to this buy.  My one regret is I don't have the means right now to get that Axe I/O.  I would make it mine.   I hope there is hardware again in future group buys.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kitekrazy said:

Pete I don't know how you sorted that out.   I guess the proof is IK group buys never fails in its goal.  The same can be said about Orange Tree and HG Sounds.  It's nice they added some hardware to this buy.  My one regret is I don't have the means right now to get that Axe I/O.  I would make it mine.   I hope there is hardware again in future group buys.

Well, there were some factors that contributed to combining T-RackS and AmpliTube and then adding hardware.     I'm glad we can still do a group buy that resonates with people and that hits the goals.  Well, we haven't hit ALL of them yet but I have faith that all will go well there even with the risk that people would be like "ugh, why did they add hardware??" - you never know what people might suddenly think is stupid.  Though I thought it was brilliant and glad it happened.

2 hours ago, Grem said:

That was really nice that hardware was thrown in there!! IK upping the game!

For sure, thanks for supporting this move.  I think we'll have to consider it again for future group buys.   I'll just say "all the Cakewalk forum folks hated it but we should do it anyway." ;)

3 hours ago, cclarry said:

I was actually shocked that they included that, as I had just bought it too...so kind of a bummer...
but NICE for people who didn't pony up the coin!

Yeah, when that was being bandied about the feeling was that it could be a chance for those that missed out on the preorder/intro deals.  Believe it or not, some people don't hear about these things - they don't know you, I guess, Larry :)

13 minutes ago, BassDaddy said:

Im not in this group buy but them adding hardware is great!

Thanks for chiming in, regardless of the fact that your wallet is safe from us.  For now.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Peter - IK Multimedia said:

Well, there were some factors that contributed to combining T-RackS and AmpliTube and then adding hardware.     I'm glad we can still do a group buy that resonates with people and that hits the goals.  Well, we haven't hit ALL of them yet but I have faith that all will go well there even with the risk that people would be like "ugh, why did they add hardware??" - you never know what people might suddenly think is stupid.  Though I thought it was brilliant and glad it happened.

For sure, thanks for supporting this move.  I think we'll have to consider it again for future group buys.   I'll just say "all the Cakewalk forum folks hated it but we should do it anyway." ;)

Yeah, when that was being bandied about the feeling was that it could be a chance for those that missed out on the preorder/intro deals.  Believe it or not, some people don't hear about these things - they don't know you, I guess, Larry :)

Thanks for chiming in, regardless of the fact that your wallet is safe from us.  For now.

The iLoud monitors should be in a group buy. Those have great reviews.  I'm curious as to how well the Arc sales have picked up in this buy.

I can't see a Samploetank one working out since there aren't really new libraries unless there is a Syntronix one.

I love these group buys.  Sure I know IK wants a long term customer, so does Waves and all the rest. What businesses are you familiar with that sell to a customer only once and stay in business lol. Well ok , maybe if you sell jets to oil  rich Arabs the markup is so high you can afford to  wait awhile before you sell again. In most companies this isn't the case. I don't know how Melda manages to do it.

Whatever you buy is going to need  an eventual update or upgrade. Maybe "they" will come up with a cool feature or another product we can't do without. 

Similar to the fast food business, they sell a lot for little but they make most of their money on soda. Waves wants a "reup" every so often. Just so you know, this isn't a rant, just the observations of a possibly deluded mind :) 

A little trickle coming in from a large customer base might just be enough. Value is what value means to you and no one else.

I remember when TRacks mastering plugins first came out, mid 80's? early 90's? They were cutting edge.  They were indirectly emulated by many. You can't do that stuff overtly or you'll be sued. Sadly back then cracks were easy and abounded. I'm glad IK has a better way now to manage this using a portal.

I bought all of the Amplitube stuff up to v4 including Slash and all the rest. The only reason I haven't upgraded it is I'm not mainly a guitarist even though I released a guitar album on Amazon. I tend to stay in acoustic territory most of the time.  I love the Stealth limiter. It's been around awhile and continues to shine in that category. I upgraded ARC to 2.5 during a sale last year. I highly recommend it. The single plugins,  compressors and such aren't over the edge but work well, probably better than most that come in DAWs. IK's mastering plugins are some of the best IMHO.

The way I see it, might as well buy it on sale and upgrade later as to buy it while not on sale and upgrade later :) I like the Lurssen but don't need it. I have a bunch of mastering programs and signal chains to get me there. Still, this and the Leslie are very tempting, and this is what IK are good at with me. Throwing in one or two things that make me reconsider. If I reconsider I'll probably eventually have it. 

• Like 1