IK Pick and Mix Group Buy

cclarry

Question regarding authorizations. From a post in the Coffee House:

https://discuss.cakewalk.com/index.php?/topic/6676-lovehate-relationship-with-ik/

On 9/11/2019 at 1:24 PM, cclarry said:

Authorizations are not "removable", so, should you
do a fresh install, or a new system, then you have
to WASTE authorizations, and, when you
have exhausted them, you MUST request a reset, at
which point THEY will decide if you can have more or not.
(They usually do - so at least there is that)

How many authorizations do you get?  Are there no measures in place to handle system rebuilds? 

Just now, LittleStudios said:

Question regarding authorizations. From a post in the Coffee House:

https://discuss.cakewalk.com/index.php?/topic/6676-lovehate-relationship-with-ik/

How many authorizations do you get?  Are there no measures in place to handle system rebuilds? 

You get 10 Authorizations...after that you have to write customer service to get a reset.

7 hours ago, LittleStudios said:

In my case, that's not too bad.  If I had multiple systems, 10 authorizations could be an issue, so I see how that could be frustrating for some people.

Here's a scenario....

You are rebuilding your system.  You install your software and authorize.
Something goes wrong.  Now you have to do it all over.  There goes another...
Now...later on...something else goes wrong...back to square one...there goes
another one...etc...

My point is, you can use up those 10 much faster than anyone would  think
would normally happen.  Now, the issue may become that you are unaware of
how many times you've done this.  At a critical point, you NOW have to do it again.
So you reinstall your software, but this time you don't have any Authorizations left.
NOW you have to contact customer service...and they are NOT "speedy" by any 
stretch of the imagination, and NOW you have to "wait it out", and GOD FORBID
it's on a Friday, because their Customer Service is NON-EXISTENT on weekends.

Why do I say all this?  Because it's happened to me.  10 Authorizations may seem
like a lot, but it's really not.  And, it would be FAR MORE beneficial to have an
"Authorize" and "Deauthorize" system for the plugins, rather than what seems like a lot
of authorizations that, should you not be "keeping track", could be depleted, 
unbeknownst to you!

Edited by cclarry
  • Like 1

This happens to me with Best Service from time to time but they are usually quick with resetting everything. Still annoying to deal with. What's more annoying is deactivations that you can't do after the fact. XLN has the best system for deactivating because you can log in and manually deactivate after a format. Most times I can't remember which plugins require deactivation and I've lost a few licenses before because of it.

• Like 3

ThE key is anticipation , i will stress them to reset at 3 .... i have 3 systems ...all synced ...and when i upgrade i ipgrade 3 at the same to still be in sync power and feature wise , but during the migration i have both group during a certain period of validation witch means 6 licences runing ...a problem with the majority of brands ....

Anyway , a btetter way to manage licences would be great ...

7 hours ago, cclarry said:

Here's a scenario....

You are rebuilding your system.  You install your software and authorize.
Something goes wrong.  Now you have to do it all over.  There goes another...
Now...later on...something else goes wrong...back to square one...there goes
another one...etc...

That scenario happened to me.  The graphics card died in my laptop and I didn't realized till later that it damaged my motherboard when it did.
Within 2 months I had replaced the graphics card, hard drive, & motherboard and done around 6 full Windows installs before getting another laptop because I had lost all confidence in the system.  Was not really using IKM plugs at the time so didn't have an issue there but had issues with some other vendors, though none refused to give me extra activations; that was also when I stopped being an iLok hater (not a fan now because of their current issues but that's another story) being able to mass activate multiple plugins at once was a blessing.

Edit:
From what I recall Plugin Alliance use to have a similar policy to IKM - 10 activations.
Don't see that restriction listed any more on their website so I might not be recollecting things properly.
But they do have this restriction:

Please note that you can’t reclaim the same plugin license from more than seven different machines, but if the same machine is deactivated more than once, it will not be counted again

Edited by TheSteven
  • Like 1

I've been demoing the plugins and I think they are all great.  The only thing that bugs me, just a little, the VU meters, especially on the Black 76 seem to move a little slow.  Just to make sure I wasn't crazy I compared the movement to other VU meters, making sure to use meters based on 300ms average and it still seems a bit slow.  It's more noticeable in GR mode than the output settings.  

27 minutes ago, LittleStudios said:

I've been demoing the plugins and I think they are all great.  The only thing that bugs me, just a little, the VU meters, especially on the Black 76 seem to move a little slow.  Just to make sure I wasn't crazy I compared the movement to other VU meters, making sure to use meters based on 300ms average and it still seems a bit slow.  It's more noticeable in GR mode than the output settings.  

Compare to psp triple meter , those are the most accurate i seens itb (even afetr buying Kanglhem) go in settings and check ...

Okay, been watching this. Because I have everything TrackS but the Leslie, it seems a bit guitar-centric for me.  Not being a "real" guitarist, I question the freebie option value (although I do love just having stuff!-).

Other than the Leslie, of interest is the Lurssen MC and ARC 2.5.   I'm wondering if  IK would let me get ARC without the Mic since I already have the shh SonarWorks one as I would love to update my ARC which shows as $49 with the Mic but isn't a freebie option.

Thoughts?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fwrend said:

Okay, been watching this. Because I have everything TrackS but the Leslie, it seems a bit guitar-centric for me.  Not being a "real" guitarist, I question the freebie option value (although I do love just having stuff!-).

I know the feeling. 

Got into the Group Buy for those four Tape plugins (as I had almost all of T-RackS) and then added the Amplitube packs. Ya never know. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, kitekrazy said:

Jam Points can only be used direct from IK.

Yes, but when you check out there's a place to enter Jam Points (which generates a discount coupon) AND a Discount Coupon.   That's why I was wondering if you can use both at the same time...

20 hours ago, Peter - IK Multimedia said:

ARC will not work properly with a non-ARC mic anyway, and it is correctly noted that we are not offering substitutions during this group buy.

Well, I already have ARC  - guess I don't remember getting a mic with it.  Still, don't need the mic.