IK Pick and Mix Group Buy

cclarry

3 hours ago, sarine said:

The only developers I know who won't take you from behind (without consent) are:

•  Melda Production
  • ValhallaDSP
  • Xfer Records

Either they don't run sales at all (Valhalla, Xfer) designed to deteriorate your judgement by abusing some evolution-programmed animal instinct hell-bent on reserving resources (real or imaginary), that in this absurd modern setting translates to toys for adults, that you can only not call toys because you're an adult and you can simply proclaim your toys as tools of production to elevate their symbolic status above what they actually are - or they do run a more predictable sale campaign by the schedule AND they reward you for all the money you spend on their stuff (Melda).

Want to not get F'ed in the A? Buy from these folks. They're also quite nice and competitive at what they do.

Know more? Feel free to give them some deserved rep and differentiate them from the cheapskates with their "sales", "offers" and "coupons". 👻

These are NOT great bargains and you're NOT winning - the whole system is purpose-built for milking you. Not only are YOU losing in the big picture because chasing these unnecessary "bargains" (whose whole motive and justification is that they expand the customer segment and sales beyond those who ACTUALLY NEED the crap 🐙) occupies a gigantic space in your mind in a world and era where every peaceful minute of your time that you could take to slow down and enjoy life is increasingly a rarity (and more precious than the fleeting euphoria from "grabbing a bargain"), but the small independent software developers are also being elbowed out of the industry by the determined devaluating of the fruits of their labor. You think the $29 is sweet? You'll get sweeter until your teeth rot!

I'm still trying to make sense of this and not sure I agree with some of it.  I think it's the small developers who are giving the big boys a run for their money because so many make quality stuff and they don't charge the prices the big boys do.    See Boz Digital, Tokyo Dawn Labs.

5 hours ago, Grem said:

And to be honest, if Larry wouldn't have found that half price deal, I would have sat this one out.

I got all I want. I only want the Tape Machines.

Larry got me in on the first Total Studio buy back in the day. And I got it for a steal. But there Larry was with all this stuff he got from IK (SampleTank, Miroslov, Amplitube and more. And it was not cheap back then like it is today) and he was letting IK know the same thing as today. No price for the guys who bought stuff up front and paid full price. Nope, I got the same deal he did back then.

And so I know IK has heard him for sure. Yet here we are today. Many years later. Difference is I got all the stuff now. And the guy that bought one $99 deal can get it at the same price I can. SMH

Having said all that, I don't think I can say that I paid full price for anything I got from IK, except the Mesa Collection. I did give $149 for that when it came out. [edit] No I didn't give full price for that either. I got it for less because I used Jam Points to make it a better deal.

Sometimes you just have to wait.  They are really odd with loyalty even though jam points is their loyalty program and they can be used even with sales stuff.

6 hours ago, kitekrazy said:

jam points is their loyalty program and they can be used even with sales stuff.

Agreed. But sometimes I feel that the loyalty could extend just a bit more for users of the original stuff. Like 35%!! : )

• Like 1

The prevailing problem with "Jampoints" is the system.  If you buy something, you get
points, but, if, and when, you sell it, they take them back, regardless of how long after
the purchase you sell.  For example, if you buy Amplitube, you get X Jampoints.  2 years
from now you sell it.  They take those Jampoints back.  This can actually set you into a 
NEGATIVE Jampoints balance, and until you purchase enough to get you back above
0, you're just SOL.  

I currently have a -6 Jampoints balance, and I've recently purchased the Tape Collection,
and bought into the group buy!  I was down to like -30 at one point.  IMO, they should limit
that "take back" to if you sell within 1 year of purchase.  After you've owned it for over a 
year, they shouldn't be taking them back.

12 hours ago, cclarry said:

IMO...the group buys are the best way.  The reason being is that
the "Max" products only include everything up to "X" date.  Anything
after that you don't get, and have to buy, so it's really not an "everything"
package like Waves Mercury, where you get anything new released, other
than the Abbey Road products, and some other minor stuff....
AND the 'out of pocket" will be more, even when they are on sale,
but that's just IMO.

True. 

Yet the Total Studio Max upgrade is regularly on sale for $299. 

So if the next bundle includes all the latest, even though I have lots of IK stuff already, it would upgrade my SampleTank from 4SE to Max and add Modo as well as some smaller things like the four Tape emus I haven’t got yet. 

Again, I have to agree with you, Lars, it would add up to pretty much the same.

And on top of that I would upgrade to the bundle with Gear Credits, which would mean I can’t resell anything if needed. 

2 minutes ago, Fleer said:

True. 

So if the next bundle includes all the latest, even though I have lots of IK stuff already, it would upgrade my SampleTank from 4SE to Max and add Modo as well as some smaller things like the four Tape emus I haven’t got yet. 

And on top of that I would upgrade to the bundle with Gear Credits, which would mean I can’t resell anything if needed. 

I don't think that IK allows the use of Gear Credits for the Max Bundles Fleer...just FYI

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Fleer said:

True. 

and they don't add the new stuff to the Max bundle

I like their stuff but I have to wonder is Max really worth it?  I think of it just like NI's Komplete.   They are great for taking up drive space. 

11 hours ago, cclarry said:

If you buy something, you get
points, but, if, and when, you sell it, they take them back, regardless of how long after
the purchase you sell. 

You taught me this. That's why I got so much IK stuff in my account! Like Fleer, I ain't selling.

11 hours ago, cclarry said:

IMO, they should limit
that "take back" to if you sell within 1 year of purchase.  After you've owned it for over a 
year, they shouldn't be taking them back. 

Agreed, to a point. I don't think they should put you in the negative!! That's just ain't right!!(I still laugh when I read that!!)

After some time, yes they should leave them alone. I mean they do expire. But if they see activity that your buying/selling/using Jampoints as fast as you can get them, then yeah, they got the right to put the brakes on that. But for us regular Joe's, eh.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Fleer said:

1 + 5 free coming up fast. 

They will probably extend it and then add another tier.

If I could afford I'd get the Axe I/O and be able to get anything on that list.   Buying a $99 product limits your extra choices after the tape collection.  Most like anything else in that price range one would have. I already have a lot of that stuff from the previous group buy.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, kitekrazy said:

They will probably extend it and then add another tier.

If I could afford I'd get the Axe I/O and be able to get anything on that list.   Buying a $99 product limits your extra choices after the tape collection.  Most like anything else in that price range one would have. I already have a lot of that stuff from the previous group buy.

The Fender 2 deal will get you anything except Lurssen....and it's actually less than half price...

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Fleer said:

I’m thinking to get the four Tapies, plus Amplitube Orange, Jimi, Slash, and maybe Darrell. Talk me out of it, will someone?

Check your account just in case you might have licenses from previous group buys.   Most of on that list I've gotten from previous group buys.   So many of my T-Rack from v4 were updated without having to buy new versions.  

• Thanks 1

If you ain't got the Fender 2 collection, I'd highly recommend it.

And the Fulltone is also a big favorite of mine. I am a suker for chorus, and that TERC is really the cream of the crop for me. You also get the OCD distortion pedal that I think is the best of the bunch in Amplitube.

As a side note, has anyone tried that Tube Comp that comes with Amplitube? I love that thing.

Just now, chris.r said:

try to resist another entry!

:D 

Good luck with that!! : )

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Grem said:

If you ain't got the Fender 2 collection, I'd highly recommend it.

And the Fulltone is also a big favorite of mine. I am a suker for chorus, and that TERC is really the cream of the crop for me. You also get the OCD distortion pedal that I think is the best of the bunch in Amplitube.

For chorus, I prefer the MXR Chorus from the Slash package and the Wampler Nirvana. 

I'm totally with you on the OCD drive though.  That and the Pinnacle would be my favorite drives.

If they do an expanded Wampler collection, I'm in.