EZkeys2 !!!!!

simon

On 4/5/2023 at 7:06 AM, Nick Blanc said:

So if I understand this software, you buy the full version which includes the engine and a ton of factory MIDI. You choose a soundset to go with it. You can then 'upgrade' your package with other soundsets and other MIDI packs. You can also route EZ Keys to another track as a MIDI generator or drag & drop.

How would this distinguish itself from, let's say Scaler?

IMHO Scaler is better for composing.  EZKeys is better for generating piano performances.

I would say that Scaler has more features as a music theory tool.  It is more about helping you find ways to create interesting chord progressions, than EZKeys has been.  But this new version of EZKeys is better in this respect, and has features that Scaler doesn't have.    Scaler also has many more instruments than EZKeys does and has a guitar UI as well as a piano one.

EZKeys has developed an immense MIDI library over the years.  So there's a huge supermarket for you to go to if you're looking to create a certain genre of music.   On the other hand, Scaler is always adding things in free updates, which is very nice, but I find their naming system to be bewildering and can only use stuff by trying it out

As Scaler does many instruments, it offers MIDI patterns for basses, guitars, etc.

Scaler is relatively cheap for the features it offers, but EZKeys becomes a lot better the more MIDI files you own. So it can get expensive if you keep buying them.  

EZKeys works well with all the other Toontrack instruments.  This new Scaler update makes it more like EZBass.  (I don't use EZDrummer any more)

I'm a piano and guitar player.  I have been working out chord progressions for over 50 years.   By learning to play other people's songs, I've learned how different kinds of chords work together.  I've learned chords unfamiliar to me from playing songs by Steely Dan and jazz songs. I know some music theory.  That's what I draw from when I sit down to write.   A tool like Scaler takes me to a higher level.  There are things I can easily do with Scaler that I could never do with my level of musical knowledge.  I don't think EZKeys is that kind of tool.  It's better for taking your song and having it play it.

Not too long ago, once I wrote a song, I just went to the piano or guitar and played it.  But that was then. Now I have arthritis which is increasingly getting worse.  I'm just not as good as I once was, and it can get painful to play too long.   I have stopped recording me playing guitar live--I just use guitar VIs.  I'm still not at that place with the keyboard, but maybe I'll get there someday.  I already use Band-in-a-Box a lot.  And that is something that gives you full arrangements and not just pianos.

I'm seriously thinking about this.  It comes with a lot of features and a lot of MIDI.  If you look at what it costs to buy MIDI expansions, and at the many powerful new features, an upgrade seems a good deal to me.   For a new buyer, there will no doubt be special offers on EZKeys 2, but but it may be a while before that happens. 

Edited by Reid Rosefelt
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

EZkeys 1 is on sale at Best Service for $138.98. With the current $20 Easter savings the total is only $118. 98. You of course get the free upgrade when EZkeys 2 comes out. In essence you get EZkeys 2 and one free instrument extension of your choice for $119!

• Like 3
  • Great Idea 1

1 hour ago, Reid Rosefelt said:

IMHO Scaler is better for composing.  EZKeys is better for generating piano performances.

I would say that Scaler has more features as a music theory tool.  It is more about helping you find ways to create interesting chord progressions, than EZKeys has been.  But this new version of EZKeys is better in this respect, and has features that Scaler doesn't have.    Scaler also has many more instruments than EZKeys does and has a guitar UI as well as a piano one.

EZKeys has developed an immense MIDI library over the years.  So there's a huge supermarket for you to go to if you're looking to create a certain genre of music.   On the other hand, Scaler is always adding things in free updates, which is very nice, but I find their naming system to be bewildering and can only use stuff by trying it out

As Scaler does many instruments, it offers MIDI patterns for basses, guitars, etc.

Scaler is relatively cheap for the features it offers, but EZKeys becomes a lot better the more MIDI files you own. So it can get expensive if you keep buying them.  

EZKeys works well with all the other Toontrack instruments.  This new Scaler update makes it more like EZBass.  (I don't use EZDrummer any more)

I'm a piano and guitar player.  I have been working out chord progressions for over 50 years.   By learning to play other people's songs, I've learned how different kinds of chords work together.  I've learned chords unfamiliar to me from playing songs by Steely Dan and jazz songs. I know some music theory.  That's what I draw from when I sit down to write.   A tool like Scaler takes me to a higher level.  There are things I can easily do with Scaler that I could never do with my level of musical knowledge.  I don't think EZKeys is that kind of tool.  It's better for taking your song and having it play it.

Not too long ago, once I wrote a song, I just went to the piano or guitar and played it.  But that was then. Now I have arthritis which is increasingly getting worse.  I'm just not as good as I once was, and it can get painful to play too long.   I have stopped recording me playing guitar live--I just use guitar VIs.  I'm still not at that place with the keyboard, but maybe I'll get there someday.  I already use Band-in-a-Box a lot.  And that is something that gives you full arrangements and not just pianos.

I'm seriously thinking about this.  It comes with a lot of features and a lot of MIDI.  If you look at what it costs to buy MIDI expansions, and at the many powerful new features, an upgrade seems a good deal to me.   For a new buyer, there will no doubt be special offers on EZKeys 2, but but it may be a while before that happens. 

Thanks TTF. 

I’m not getting EZKeys 2 until they do something about their Waves-style lack of support. And I’ll remain vocal about it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Reid Rosefelt said:

EZKeys becomes a lot better the more MIDI files you own

Being someone unfamiliar with EZKeys, this is a bit concerning. Can you create your own MIDI styles or are you locked to theirs (I think I read that those MIDI packs are in a proprietary format)?

I definitely agree that the loyal customers are getting hosed with the buy 1, get 2 free for new users. It comes across as a customer vacuum to sell add-ons later.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mettelus said:

Being someone unfamiliar with EZKeys, this is a bit concerning. Can you create your own MIDI styles or are you locked to theirs (I think I read that those MIDI packs are in a proprietary format)?

EZkeys 1 uses proprietary MIDI packs. You can select a genre and style, then see a list of available songs and song sections to browse and audition. You can edit/arrange them  in the EZkeys song track (or the new grid editor), or drag the MIDI parts into your DAW. The styles and variations are designed to allow you to find the best match in your EZkeys collection to work with your song.

The larger your collection of MIDI packs, the more effective the Bandmate and Tap2Find assistance will be. They are new to EZkeys 2.

Personally I just collect MIDI packs when they go on sale, and ignore the addon sound expansions. I consider them unnecessary unless you just desire some for inspiration. But since you can pipe the MIDI out to any other VSTI, you are not limited to the stock sounds.

EDIT: if EZkeys 2 is patterned after EZB and EZD3, then the user folders feature should allow use of external MIDI patterns.

Edited by abacab
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Yan Filiatrault said:

From my understanding, with version 2, you will be able to drag and drop midi files in it.

Unless I am mistaken, that only applies to "Bandmate" where you can drag and drop your own MIDI there in order to find matching MIDI in the EZkeys 2 MIDI library. I haven't seen anything related to adding you own MIDI styles to the EZkeys libraries.

"Bandmate: Get chords and grooves based on your own audio or MIDI".

EDIT: after reviewing the user manuals for EZB and EZD3, I can only assume that their user folders features will be included in the new EZkeys 2, which will allow for external MIDI files to be used.

Edited by abacab

3 minutes ago, abacab said:

Unless I am mistaken, that only applies to "Bandmate" where you can drag and drop your own MIDI there in order to find matching MIDI in the EZkeys 2 MIDI library. I haven't seen anything related to adding you own MIDI styles to the EZkeys libraries.

"Bandmate: Get chords and grooves based on your own audio or MIDI".

you can import MIDI into EZD3 and SD3, I suspect you will be able to do that in EZK2

I posted this in the Best Service thread but I thought it might be worth posting here as well...

If you don't have EZKeys yet, Best Service has EZKeys Small Upright, or Cinematic grand (and others) for $136.98. With the $20 Promo Code: EGGY20, that would get you in for $116.98 and make you eligible for EZKeys 2.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, simon said:

you can import MIDI into EZD3 and SD3, I suspect you will be able to do that in EZK2

Here is what the EZbass manual says about user libraries. I assume that EZkeys 2 will be similar:

USER LIBRARIES

Any grooves you modify or create from scratch can easily
saved into your User MIDI. To save a groove within EZbass,
simply drag it into the user MIDI folder in the library browser.

You can choose to save an entire groove, or only its MIDI and
chord track. Within the search results, MIDI is always saved as a
full groove. From the song track, if the entire groove is selected,
the entire groove will be saved when you drag it into the user
MIDI folder. If you select only the MIDI, only the MIDI track and
the chord track will be saved. This is a subtle difference, so we
recommend always saving the entire groove.

Also:

Any MIDI in your User MIDI library is added to search results, but
only with automatically generated tags. There are a two tags you
can control yourself: Name and Family. Name is simply the name
of the MIDI file. Family is the name of the containing folder,
excluding subfolders. This gives you a measure of control over
the structure of your User MIDI. One way of setting the Library
name of User MIDI is by moving files into Linked Folders. Just
remember that you can only modify and add grooves to folders
within the user MIDl folder.

Edited by abacab

17 minutes ago, abacab said:

Here is what the EZbass manual says about user libraries. I assume that EZkeys 2 will be similar:

you can add entire folders of existing MIDI in EZbass,  just the same as you can in EZD3.  Meaning you can add your 3rd party or self generated MIDI into both products.

it's in the 'Groove' tab > User MIDI

isn't that what you're asking for ?

here's it in action in EZD3 

Edited by simon
  • Like 1

EZdrummer 3 MIDI:

Grooves Tab Header Bar Options

Show MIDI from Subfolders: Show MIDI files from
Subfolders only applies to user-added linked folders, and
sub-folders containing 3rd party MIDI files.

When you select show MIDI Files from Subfolders and
then click on a user-linked MIDI folder in the browser
section, you will see all MIDI files in this folder, and all
MIDI files in all subfolders in the results area. If this is
unchecked, you will only see the MIDI files that are in the
root folder. You would then need to click on the
subfolder in column 2 in order to see these MIDI files.

Add Linked Folder: Here you can add a user-created folder
of drum MIDI to the EZdrummer 3 browser. Clicking this
option will open an operating system window that will allow
you to browse for the folder. Again, the above option of show
MIDI Files from subfolders only applies to user-linked folders

Grooves Tab Search Filters

ADDING MIDI CONTENT AND THE USER MIDI FOLDER

MIDI can be added to EZdrummer 3's Grooves tab in a few
ways:

Purchase/install additional Toontrack MIDI packs.
MIDI packs in all genres are available at Toontrack.com,
or from the many Toontrack dealers worldwide.

Add a Linked folder of 3rd party MIDI files to the folder
browser section of the Grooves tab.
Adding linked folders to
the folder browser is done by clicking the Options Menu >
User MIDI and Linked Folders > Add Linked Folder. You will
then navigate to the folder on your computer.

Add MIDI files to the User MIDI Folder in the Folder Browser.
User MIDI files can be dragged onto the root or
subfolders in the folder browser section to be added to
the Grooves page. Alternatively, you could click the
arrow on the User MIDI folder and select Open in Finder
(or Explorer, PC) and then add MIDI to this operating
system window.

Edited by abacab

10 minutes ago, abacab said:

I wasn't the one asking. That was @mettelus.

ahh sorry - I was flagging it because you were saying that you didn't think you could use your own MIDI -  apart from in 'Bandmate'.

Edited by simon

20 minutes ago, simon said:

ahh sorry - I was flagging it because you were saying that you didn't think you could use your own MIDI -  apart from in 'Bandmate'.

Never tried using anything but the Toontrack factory MIDI, other than the Bandmate in EZD3.

Assuming that EZkeys 2 will inherit the EZB and EZD3 user folder features, it should be good to go with your own MIDI. I didn't intend to make it any more confusing... ;)

Edited by abacab
  • Thanks 1