EW Play 6.1.2 is not working on CbB 2019.07

Is anyone using EW products on CbB? PLAY software is getting me mad. If I try to re-scan the VST plugins CbB gets stuck while scanning the latest VST version of the plugin. Even REAPER crashes while scanning it, but fortunately I can still using it in that DAW after the crash.

Can anything be done to solve the problem?

Thank you!

Note: I am getting similar problems with Waves plugins (Grand Rhapsody Grand and Bass Fingers) but this time only in CbB.

It seems to work for me without any problems (that it didn't already have).  I loaded a few old projects and they all played just fine.  It also scans just fine in CbB, Cubase, Reaper, ACID 9.0 and Reason 10 for me.

The fact your having problems with multiple DAWs and multiple vendors points to some sort of system level problem.  Reboot windows and fully update windows might be a good starting place.  We'd need a lot more information though to help you figure out exactly what the problem is.

10 hours ago, Matthew Sorrels said:

It seems to work for me without any problems (that it didn't already have).  I loaded a few old projects and they all played just fine.  It also scans just fine in CbB, Cubase, Reaper, ACID 9.0 and Reason 10 for me.

The fact your having problems with multiple DAWs and multiple vendors points to some sort of system level problem.  Reboot windows and fully update windows might be a good starting place.  We'd need a lot more information though to help you figure out exactly what the problem is.

I have tested it on two different computers and I had exactly the same result: Cakewalk didn't detect the Play.vst3 plugin and REAPER crashed on the first scan but let me use the plugin after re-opening the program. 

Windows 10 1903

Cakewalk by Bandlab 2019.07

PLAY software 6.1.2

Since Play uses the iLok software protection you might want to install the latest version of the iLok License Manager from https://www.ilok.com

In CbB you might want to look at the registry entry the VST scanner makes for your Play vst3 plugin.  You should have two of them:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cakewalk Music Software\Cakewalk\Cakewalk VST X64\Inventory\c:/program files/common files/VST3/Play.vst3
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cakewalk Music Software\Cakewalk\Cakewalk VST X64\Inventory\c:/program files/common files/VST3/Play.vst3*0 Play

If you delete those keys and start CbB it will just re-scan Play itself (can be useful for testing).  There are a number of entries that tell what it thinks about the plugin.  isVst3, isX64, isSynth and the all important isBad. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Matthew Sorrels said:

Since Play uses the iLok software protection you might want to install the latest version of the iLok License Manager from https://www.ilok.com

In CbB you might want to look at the registry entry the VST scanner makes for your Play vst3 plugin.  You should have two of them:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cakewalk Music Software\Cakewalk\Cakewalk VST X64\Inventory\c:/program files/common files/VST3/Play.vst3
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cakewalk Music Software\Cakewalk\Cakewalk VST X64\Inventory\c:/program files/common files/VST3/Play.vst3*0 Play

If you delete those keys and start CbB it will just re-scan Play itself (can be useful for testing).  There are a number of entries that tell what it thinks about the plugin.  isVst3, isX64, isSynth and the all important isBad. 

Thank you Mathew. I can use Play Software now and all of the Waves plugins, the problem was that I had the options "Rescan failed plugins" and "Rescan all plugins" enabled under VST settings. I am not sure if this is a bug, but you can try it out the following: perform a VST reset and then enable those settings and do a manual scan. This way the program doesn´t find some plugins, including Play and Waves. 

One thing that sometimes trips people up is (before the sandbox option, not sure how well it works now) one plugin will get scanned and it's written poorly and/or isn't very robust, then Cakewalk goes to scan the next plugin but memory is all messed up and core system libraries are all badly initialized, so that next plugin fails (or fails also).  So the first plugin is actually the problem but the next (or a later) plugins pay the price. 

Since you got this to happen on two separate computers I suspect you may still have a "bad" plugin (on both computers).  The sandbox option is supposed to help with this, but I don't have enough experience to say if it really is helping or not.  But I have seen a lot of poorly written (usually much older) plugins cause every plugin after that to fail to scan.  Might explain why Play scans just fine for me but wasn't for you.

8 hours ago, Matthew Sorrels said:

In Cakewalk do you have Scan in Sandbox enabled?

[image from Preferences > VST Settings]

Thanks for pointing this out; I have always used the Cakewalk Plug-in Manager (Utilities drop-down menu) to set my vst scan folder paths--no "Sandbox" option there.  Not sure it matters for me because it was checked [evidently by default], but its nice to know its there in Preferences.

Steve

• Meh 1