EZKeys 2 coming April 3rd?

Sander Verstraten

I am disappointed! There are 2 things that are a degradation:

1. The EZkeys 2 Core library cannot be installed without the Product Manager anymore! Like that I guess you have to re-download on all your pcs.
  2. I have 4 EZkeys 1 packages that I have distributed on 3 computers. It seems I cannot update all to EZkeys 2 (only on 2 computers).
  • Sad 1

40 minutes ago, MarcL said:

I am disappointed! There are 2 things that are a degradation:

1. The EZkeys 2 Core library cannot be installed without the Product Manager anymore! Like that I guess you have to re-download on all your pcs.
  2. I have 4 EZkeys 1 packages that I have distributed on 3 computers. It seems I cannot update all to EZkeys 2 (only on 2 computers).

I added full versions of upright and classic electrics during the pre order.  I already had another full classic electric 1 in my account.  They only gave me a EZKeys 2 upgrade for the upright.  So only 2 authorizations, despite putting two new products in my account during the upgrade period.  

Will have to see how good the customer support is 

• Sad 1

After a quick run through I am very much not disappointed - functionally all the innovations you expect to see from  from EzD and EzB are there, but the new feature that really caught my attention was the ability to add or remove individual notes to or from chords - I have lost count of the number of times I have wanted to do this - so this is a great feature I think. 

Looks really good so I am looking forward to getting down to business with this when I have more time.

A (very) small part of me kind of misses the pure simplicity of the EZK1 interface (I felt the same about EzDrummer), but I really don't miss that non-scalable GUI - amen to a full screen!

Andy

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Canopus said:

EZkeys 1 is still available as a plugin/standalone on your system. But I very much doubt that it's an independent license that can be resold, if that's what you meant.

Actually what I’m wondering is if I can put (or keep) EZK1 on two older computers and then install EZK2 on two new ones. 

8 hours ago, Canopus said:

All I know is that the Authorizations tab in Toontrack Product Manager under EZK1 is no longer present after the upgrade to EZK2, but if you’re looking for an official statement I'd suggest you ask Toontrack.

But would original EZK1 installations still work on two older computers if one installs EZK2 on two new computers even though the Authorizations tab in the Product Manager is gone? Or maybe it wouldn’t even be possible to install EZK2 on those new computers if EZK1 is still active on the older ones?

Continuing on my path to enlightenment, I’m thinking EZKeys 1 doesn’t need to be authorized anymore, but instruments do. 
This would mean that you can use EZKeys 1 on any number of computers as long as you authorize an instrument with it (while each instrument can be authorized to two computers). 
On the other hand, it seems EZKeys 2 can only be used on two computers as it has two authorization slots. 
Strangely, EZKeys 1 used to have (two) authorization slots before, but they’re now gone. After downloading EZKeys 1, it simply asks for an instrument to be added (and authorized presumably). 

• Great Idea 1

5 hours ago, Fleer said:

Continuing on my path to enlightenment, I’m thinking EZKeys 1 doesn’t need to be authorized anymore, but instruments do. 
This would mean that you can use EZKeys 1 on any number of computers as long as you authorize an instrument with it (while each instrument can be authorized to two computers). 
On the other hand, it seems EZKeys 2 can only be used on two computers as it has two authorization slots. 
Strangely, EZKeys 1 used to have (two) authorization slots before, but they’re now gone. After downloading EZKeys 1, it simply asks for an instrument to be added (and authorized presumably). 

AFAIK this has always been like that. Once I asked support if it is possible to install a new instrument purchase on a 3rd computer and only on 1 of the existing authorized computers and they said yes! That meant you could decide for each instrument independently 2 authorization locations. Regrettably this has changed for EZKeys 2!

• Thanks 1

That’s how I understand it, but haven’t checked yet. In EZK2, midi files follow instruments. Or, to put it differently, EZK2 instruments should come with their own midi files. 
Other question: what about the original EZK midi files? It seems they’re still available in your account to add to EZK2. 

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Bad Penguin said:

For those who are doing the upgrade from EZK1, do we gain access to any "new" midi files when installing EZK2 and its core library?

You do get some new grooves by default in EzK2 and you also keep access to those you had in EzK1 - see screen cap

image.png.a758daebf27c4aedb7b28c611635dafb.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Just now, dubdisciple said:

It finally does what many of us thought V1 would do. 

So true. I still think the upgrade should have been free. On the other hand, that new Fazioli grand is five times the size of the original EZK grands at 2.5 GB.
That’s worth something. 

• Like 2
  • Great Idea 1

23 hours ago, Bad Penguin said:

For those who are doing the upgrade from EZK1, do we gain access to any "new" midi files when installing EZK2 and its core library?

“EZkeys 2 includes an extensive MIDI library featuring over 1,350 individually played MIDI files performed by professional piano players. The MIDI files are categorized into separate folders for riffs, arpeggios, and ostinatos, covering various musical genres including ballads, pop, rock, hip-hop, jazz, and more. With different time signatures and feels, such as 3/4, 4/4, 6/8, and swing, you’ll find a wealth of musical inspiration and songwriting ideas at your fingertips.”

• Thanks 2

On 5/18/2023 at 8:56 PM, Fleer said:

that new Fazioli grand is five times the size of the original EZK grands at 2.5 GB.
That’s worth something. 

I'm REALLY liking the new EZkeys2, but like all Toontrack products I find their instruments to be just so-so.    And yes, this new grand piano in EZkeys2 is pretty good.   But I substituted some of my PianoTeq grand pianos and well, they just blew away the Toontrack grand. 

And I don't mean this as a knock on Toontrack as I think the strength of their products is their compositional abilities - and I believe EZkeys2 is the best product they have ever made in that regard.  

• Like 1

I just discovered the record function.  You can record your playing into the song, This opens up quite a few possibilities. For example creating your own patterns and then using EZKeys to apply a chord progression, or recording a chord progression as block chords and then replacing the pattern with MIDI from the browser etc. -NICE

Edited by Vernon Barnes
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Great Idea 1