Adventures in Sonar Cake Installs!

Keni

Wow!

Going a bit nuts here.

I was gifted a used mac pro 2013 (trashcan) fully maxed out with dual apple cinema 27” displays.  Xeon 16 core @2.97GHz 128GB RAM

Problems galore! Im downloading and installing old sonar x1,2,3 and Platinum as well as a number of others to retain all the gadgetry before installing Cakewalk by Bandlad (hopefully in this lifetime) after weeks of work getting this machine dual bootable!

1st problem x1 won’t open. I did notice the regsvr failing. But I’m gonna pound away at all the old installations even if they don’t work. The only one I use/want is the Bandlab version!

Any tips, warning, help of any kind would be greatly appreciated!

It's been a very long time since I ventured into a build such as this!

39 minutes ago, Byron Dickens said:

Cakewalk is Windows only

I think you missed:

1 hour ago, Keni said:

after weeks of work getting this machine dual bootable

That said, I would suggest to Keni that you make your topic title something like "Installing on dual boot Mac Pro" or something. As it is, it just looks like you're having issues with a vanilla install. I believe that there are others here on the forum who have gotten Cakewalk to work on dual boot Macs.

And dang, Keni, that is one nice setup to be gifted. I would rock the snot out of a Mac like that! Once you do get Cakewalk to work, mmm, dual Cinema displays, 16 cores....

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Starship Krupa said:

I think you missed:

That said, I would suggest to Keni that you make your topic title something like "Installing on dual boot Mac Pro" or something. As it is, it just looks like you're having issues with a vanilla install. I believe that there are others here on the forum who have gotten Cakewalk to work on dual boot Macs.

And dang, Keni, that is one nice setup to be gifted. I would rock the snot out of a Mac like that! Once you do get Cakewalk to work, mmm, dual Cinema displays, 16 cores....

Thanks Erik...

I'm really not worried . Probably would attract more people. I'm just feeling anxious and elated .

I was gifted this amazing machine 2 weeks ago and have been learning and remembering things as I  go .

I haven't  done this involved a  build in more than a decade . I'm trying to remember which versions came with anything  important to me . Today I wiped the mac drive , installed monterey, installed win10 pro on a partition and now building a new Cake DAW. long way to go , but today was the major hurdles.

Note that though older (2010) the machine I've been using is no slouch. An earlier gift from the same generous friend. mac pro dual xeon 6 cores running at 2.93 with 64GB RAM, but trapped (comfortably)  at win 8.1. I'm finally @Win10 now that the world is moving to Win11!

Do you remember which years were the Roland years?

...edit Never mind . those versions  are no longer  available . Yet another reason to keep my old DAW running

Edited by Keni
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Keni said:

Do you remember which years were the Roland years?

Naw man, I'm a relative newcomer. Used SONAR for a couple of years right when it transitioned from Pro Audio to SONAR, then not until Cakewalk by BandLab.

Let's see what Wikipedia says....according to the Cakewalk, Inc. entry, 2008-2013.

BandLab have been in charge of the software longer than any other parent company since Twelve Tone Systems. Even the Gibson period is ancient history in computer years. We're coming up on the 5th anniversary of the first issue of Cakewalk by BandLab in a couple of weeks.

BTW, on "Livin' In The Wind," is that a real Hammond, a hardware emulation or a soft synth? You got a great sound with it. My current go-to for Hammond sounds is AIR DB-33, but it sounds kind of brittle. I used to have an M3, but sold it because I wasn't playing it.

2 minutes ago, Starship Krupa said:

Naw man, I'm a relative newcomer. Used SONAR for a couple of years right when it transitioned from Pro Audio to SONAR, then not until Cakewalk by BandLab.

Let's see what Wikipedia says....according to the Cakewalk, Inc. entry, 2008-2013.

BandLab have been in charge of the software longer than any other parent company since Twelve Tone Systems. Even the Gibson period is ancient history in computer years. We're coming up on the 5th anniversary of the first issue of Cakewalk by BandLab in a couple of weeks.

BTW, on "Livin' In The Wind," is that a real Hammond, a hardware emulation or a soft synth? You got a great sound with it. My current go-to for Hammond sounds is AIR DB-33, but it sounds kind of brittle. I used to have an M3, but sold it because I wasn't playing it.

yeah ... I'm  a real old timer dating back to cakewalk for windows in the early midi sequencer days.

The Hammond ! One of my favorites. A very early entry from ikmultimedia. the B4! I use it in nearly everything !

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

I think you missed:

big surprise ? just found out it's a dual xeon 16 core! It's showing 32 cores in Cake!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Keni said:

Wow!

Going a bit nuts here.

I was gifted a used mac pro 2013 (trashcan) fully maxed out with dual apple cinema 27” displays.  Xeon 16 core @2.97GHz 128GB RAM

Problems galore! Im downloading and installing old sonar x1,2,3 and Platinum as well as a number of others to retain all the gadgetry before installing Cakewalk by Bandlad (hopefully in this lifetime) after weeks of work getting this machine dual bootable!

1st problem x1 won’t open. I did notice the regsvr failing. But I’m gonna pound away at all the old installations even if they don’t work. The only one I use/want is the Bandlab version!

Any tips, warning, help of any kind would be greatly appreciated!

It's been a very long time since I ventured into a build such as this!

Earlier versions of SONAR rely on older versions of the Visual C++ Redistributable libraries.  These older versions were bundled with the older Windows operating systems at the time, but newer versions of Windows have newer versions of the VC++ redists.

The runtime bundled with CbB is an "all in one" VC++ redist, which includes all VC++ redists from 2015 onwards.  However VC++ redists prior to 2015 will have to be installed manually.

IIRC Sonar X1 was released in 2010, so it'll be using earlier redists.

The ones you may need to install manually:  2013, 2012, 2010  and maybe 2008.  I doubt if you'll need 2005, but you could install it as well if you have issues.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/30/2023 at 5:18 AM, sjoens said:

All that does is take up Control Bar space. :D

Yes, but luckily (?) I re-counted. Dual 12 core, not 16 do it's only taking up the space of 24 cores!

edit:

back on the ground. I believe only a single xeon 12 core but Cake is displaying the  multithreads turning the 12 into 24?

A bit of confusion as my older DAW has 2 xeon 6 cores for 12 total. I was surprised by Cake displaying threads as well...

Edited by Keni

2 hours ago, Max Arwood said:

Wow Keni!! What a great gift.  So who will you gift your old computer to????

You think as we do.

I have a downlink chain. This is the 5th machine my friend has gifted me. They then proceed to other friends he and I have in common who have less demanding needs than I and he in turn passes his old until it becomes a machine none of us need. The last person does as pleases at that point.

• Like 1

On 3/30/2023 at 2:52 AM, msmcleod said:

Earlier versions of SONAR rely on older versions of the Visual C++ Redistributable libraries.  These older versions were bundled with the older Windows operating systems at the time, but newer versions of Windows have newer versions of the VC++ redists.

The runtime bundled with CbB is an "all in one" VC++ redist, which includes all VC++ redists from 2015 onwards.  However VC++ redists prior to 2015 will have to be installed manually.

The ones you may need to install manually:  2013, 2012, 2010  and maybe 2008.  I doubt if you'll need 2005, but you could install it as well if you have issues.

Thanks again Mark!

You always come through with great info.

I’m not sure what you mean about manually. I guess registration of each individually? Not sure how important. I’m not feeling as though I’m missing things. X1 isn’t opening but 2, 3, & Platinum are ok and I’m already deep into setting up Bandlab!

Amazing myself with some of what I’m accomplishing. Cunning ways of getting old plugins (I’ve been doing this for a long time) installers? What’s that?

On 3/30/2023 at 5:16 AM, Keni said:

Dual 12 core, not 16 so it's only taking up the space of 24 cores!

If you deselect Preferences>Playback and Recording>Use Multiprocessing Engine, it will only show 1 fat core. :)

Not as impressive to onlookers but leaves more room for other CB modules. And I've never had the need for Multiprocessors anyway.

9 hours ago, Keni said:

Cunning ways of getting old plugins (I’ve been doing this for a long time) installers?

Hey Keni! Let me know if and how you get the freebie Guitar Rig 3 working on your new setup. I just moved to a new/used PC and it comes up as a demo that needs serial number activation.

1 hour ago, Larry Jones said:

Hey Keni! Let me know if and how you get the freebie Guitar Rig 3 working on your new setup. I just moved to a new/used PC and it comes up as a demo that needs serial number activation.

Hi Larry...

I'll give a look as soon as I can get to it. Right now I'm more plagued that the sonitus plugins appear as if they're there, but are not able to load.... and I use the delay and modulator all over my work... sigh. There's still hope. I guess these are what need to be individually registered with regsvr as msmcleod mentions above. I need to investigate that first. I thought I saw GR 4 loading.... I'll look asap...

Hi Mark...

Stymied a bit now as this is now necessary. The sonitus plugins appear to be some of what failed during install.

Can yo u point me to some instructions on manually registering these plugins?

Thanks...

Just now, Keni said:

Hi Mark...

Stymied a bit now as this is now necessary. The sonitus plugins appear to be some of what failed during install.

Can yo u point me to some instructions on manually registering these plugins?

Thanks...

Hmmm... I just realized that you're talking about manually installing

Hmmm... I just realized that you were refering to manually installing the C++ libs, yes? I guess that might be why they failed to register. Almost everything I installed was 2005! Would it hurt if I installed the other years on top of maybe already having some/all? 200 5 sure did that plenty? Wou ld I then have to run regsvr individually for each failed plugin? How do I even discover that list? <sheesh> just realizing home much trouble this little part is..... 😉

Which microsoft redistribut C++ year was needed for the sonitus stuff? So far that's my only (and important) plugins that I've noticed yet... to fail like this. I know there has to be more and from the number of notices during install it feels like all the sonitus just might be the total or close.?

OK... That's not the problem (unless they weren't all installed at the time of the specific events? I have all those years as well as 20-15-2022

But The sonitus plugins are in the folder and show up in my available plugins... But wait! Hold the presses!

I just loaded one of the sonitus into the bus where the non-operating one is and would you believe it? It's working! So there's something it doesn't like about the version from my old machine to the version on the new machine. Maybe a different id#

I'm happy though. Easy enou gh for me to edit the places currently  in this situation and all future work will be fine! I had a problem like this with Rapture way back in the day with owning different copies over the years...

Whew! Relief!