Waves reinstates perpetual and WUP!!!

Yan Filiatrault

14 minutes ago, Paul P said:

No wonder I can't find a job...

Come on man, there are more ways than one to make money and provide free services to attract users. Many places did it for a long time. In fact they were more than happy to do it just to get clicks.

Somewhere down the line some decided " People will pay for this. We shouldn't provide this content for free!"

I ain't one of them people.

If the WSJ can't make enough to stay afloat off the clicks, they need to hang it up.

Edited by Grem
  • Like 1

On 4/14/2023 at 6:03 PM, abacab said:

WSJ has one of the tightest paywalls for those without a subscription. I don't even click anymore on WSJ articles linked to by search engines and other media sources.

In The Netherlands we have a couple of those as well. When those articles are suggested to me in some kind of feed (like the Google on on your phone), I actively try to click somewhere along the lines of "this is not interesting to me". When I'm on the train to work, I have 25 minutes of time to kill. And I will not kill them by dodging subscriptions, half articles or payment plans. The amount of times I have wasted my time on 'you', warrants me to send you a payment plan. For just €10 a month, I will allow you to send me your half-***** content with a payment link for when I want te read further.

• Like 2

Man, we go down some crazy rabbit holes. There's really not much of a comparison between news media subscriptions and the discussion of perpetual licenses vs paying a monthly or annual software subscription fee. The challenge that news publishers have is that display advertising doesn't generate sufficient revenue to sustain a writing and editorial staff, so payment from readers is required. It's been devastating on journalists. I've befriended a good deal of journalists, editors and a couple of former publishers and even had my own publication and I've witnessed up close how the changes in media consumption and fragmentation have impacted talented professionals.  A lot of publications were free a decade or more that are now subscription because display advertising doesn't generate enough revenue to successfully operate a publication. 

But it's not very comparable to Waves because there's no payment whatsoever to these publications as an alternative to a subscription model. When you want to read journalism without paying for it, it's unlike the Waves situation,  where consumers have always been willing to pay for perpetual licenses. 

What has happened in the US is that the quality of journalism available at no cost is all over the board and sometimes often comes from publishers with very strong political agendas who've created pseudo news publications with the intent of promoting their agenda. As someone who appreciates quality journalism,  there are two excellent news agencies that provide a great deal of news stories at no cost -- and are regularly rated by top j-schools as two of the least politically biased news outlets,  Associated Press (AP) and Reuters.  I'd strongly recommend those two outlets to anyone in the US, but especially to those who can't afford or don't want to pay for news and also value good journalism. 

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Great Idea 1

54 minutes ago, PavlovsCat said:

Man, we go down some crazy rabbit holes. There's really not much of a comparison between news media subscriptions and the discussion of perpetual licenses vs paying a monthly or annual software subscription fee.

I know, it was just the most funny juxtaposition I wanted to share and this seemed like the right topic. 

I get all my new from 9gag and Google 😝

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, Grem said:

Come on man, there are more ways than one to make money and provide free services to attract users. Many places did it for a long time. In fact they were more than happy to do it just to get clicks.

Somewhere down the line some decided " People will pay for this. We shouldn't provide this content for free!"

I ain't one of them people.

If the WSJ can't make enough to stay afloat off the clicks, they need to hang it up.

This is the problem with all printed news media.  One of the two in Chicago became non profit.

5 hours ago, PavlovsCat said:

What has happened in the US is that the quality of journalism available at no cost is all over the board and sometimes often comes from publishers with very strong political agendas who've created pseudo news publications with the intent of promoting their agenda. As someone who appreciates quality journalism,  there are two excellent news agencies that provide a great deal of news stories at no cost -- and are regularly rated by top j-schools as two of the least politically biased news outlets,  Associated Press (AP) and Reuters. 

Continuing down the rabbit hole... ;)

AP & Reuters are on my regular news rotation (no cost) when I just want to know what's going on, and I don't care to have someone tell me what/how to think.

I value quality journalism, so I also subscribe to the digital edition (online) of my local newspaper. Plus I can access it from an app on my mobile. Not cheap, but they dig into the news spectrum quite a bit (local, regional, national, global, & special topics) and they provide a lot of excellent local and regional coverage (the stuff that may actually affect me the most).

I do miss the days when most of the big city newspapers could be read online for free, but those folks have to eat too, so I understand that good journalism is not free...

Edited by abacab
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, abacab said:

so I understand that good journalism is not free

And so do I. But the cost of subs with a news outfit is not worth it to me. I can still get FREE  local, national/world news over the airwaves.

They make it work. So can an Internet news agency.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bruno de Souza Lino said:

Bad journalism is also not free.

It's cheaper that good journalism!!  LOL!!

1 hour ago, dubdisciple said:

I got my plugins to work by following the advice posted

Is somebody trying to get us back on topic!!!? :)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, dubdisciple said:

I got my plugins to work by following the advice posted, but I find myself hesitant to use them. Losing that weekend left me very unmotivated 

Funny you should mention that! I was just realizing yesterday that I had not opened up a single Waves plugin since getting them working again in the latest Waves Central! ;)

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Fleer said:

Waves Central always sounded a bit like prison to me. 

You know that saying the truth can make you go to jail ( in the free world , land of democracy ) ... so say waves rock and move on please ... circulez monsieur ... ! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, abacab said:

Funny you should mention that! I was just realizing yesterday that I had not opened up a single Waves plugin since getting them working again in the latest Waves Central! ;)

For me it's the opposite. I haven't updated Waves Central (I even don't have it installed), but since this whole debacle I used more Waves plugins than in the months before. They entered my TOMA. 😅

• Haha 3