Waves reinstates perpetual and WUP!!!

Yan Filiatrault

I knew this would happen.

It was freaking illegal by LAW to take away people their bought licenses, for not registering it by a certain date.

Or to take away ''WUP'' when customers also bought extra licenses because of ''WUP''. 

And then introduce ''Subscription-Only'' and sell ''Perpetual licenses'' till the last date still without any warning. 

I have emailed Waves multiple times to let them know, i wanted a refund for all my bought products if this was really happening.

I did not agree on ANY of this, on the dates when i bought their products. There was no warning or any notification. 

Luckely customers are protected by LAW for these cases/scams, when companies change agreements/policies afterhands. 

I know from my other topic that Fleer and i , and some others gave away some free licenses away on the forum. Well, i Hope someone has fun with it now :) 

• Like 5

Great to have perpetual licenses and WUP back. But in all honestly, I’ll be looking at UA native and other devs as my first option. 

Waves will have to earn my trust again.

To the Waves Execs: There are things called surveys, polls and questionnaires. Use those next time. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Yan Filiatrault said:

They should bring everyone's plugins version to 14 for free for this fiasco

That’s a good idea. It would be a nice reconciliatory gesture if  give their customers something to restore our trust and soothe our trauma.

• Like 4

I find it funny how companies come up with solutions to customers complaints.  People didn't like the WUP policies, so instead Waves goes subscription ONLY.  If financing updates to plugins was an issue for Waves, the solution to me seems to be, oh I don't know, charge more for your plugins and don't make people pay for OS updates/bug fixes.  People definitely shouldn't be paying for bug fixes or OS updates.  Granted there's no rule that states plugins must keep up with OS changes.  It's probably in a developer's best interest to offer free OS updates.  I think new features and optimizations, yes, they should be paid for.

That also makes me question customer expectations.  Is it fair to expect developers to maintain OS compatibility on plugins, let's say, that are 15 years old?  My guess is the answer to that question would have something to do with the price of the plugin.

They've devalued their own product line by always charging $29 for plugins.  If a plugins original retail value is $199 and it's always on sale for $29, guess what?  That is not a $199 plugin, it's a $29 plugin and there's going to be no convincing your customers otherwise.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ArcRex said:

I am sure they have done some permanent damage with the way cut to subscription only without any direct warning, but they will make some short term profits from guys like me. I will end up Wupping my oldest plugins in case they do something like this again. I will certainly be leery of future purchases with Waves.

You completely nailed it. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, LittleStudios said:

I find it funny how companies come up with solutions to customers complaints.  People didn't like the WUP policies, so instead Waves goes subscription ONLY.  If financing updates to plugins was an issue for Waves, the solution to me seems to be, oh I don't know, charge more for your plugins and don't make people pay for OS updates/bug fixes.  People definitely shouldn't be paying for bug fixes or OS updates.  Granted there's no rule that states plugins must keep up with OS changes.  It's probably in a developer's best interest to offer free OS updates.  I think new features and optimizations, yes, they should be paid for.

I think the main gripe with WUP was paying for getting next to nothing in new features.  A few plugins were pimped up and some ancient plugins perhaps look better now on high dpi displays.

• Like 1

About 11:30 this morning I got a call from Mark Brun of Sweetwater who gave me the new that Waves had reversed course, then I saw their announcement.  I'm good with that but I did buy alternative to my 2 most used Waves PIs.  I bought the Purified SLP 538 EQ to replace the SSL E Channel and the Brainworx BX Townhouse Bus Compressor to replace the Waves SSL Bus Comp.  I got them both on special.  For a short time after Mark told me the news, I though "I wish I would've known they were going to do this.  I wouldn't bought those",  but maybe it wasn't a bad decision after all.  Like some of you are saying, maybe we should all be a bit leery of Wave after this move.  At the very least, I don't think I will be buying anything more from them.

I guess we're good for now but who knows what the future will bring.

😉John B

Edited by Johnbee58
  • Like 3