Waves reinstates perpetual and WUP!!!

Yan Filiatrault

5 minutes ago, LittleStudios said:

It's funny, they were able to switch there system over immediately,

not sure it's funny (either haha or peculiar ?) 

I bet the web and IT teams had been planning on that change for months - with test environments and all kinds of account migration stuff going on.  That was a big change in the infrastructure.

It's not as simple as pressing 'undo' - I would think that it's a nightmare job unravelling it all.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Grem said:

Wow. When I found out that they were going subscription,  I couldn't believe it. I mean the way it was done was chitty. 

Now this quick reversal  is just as unbelievable.  

I still love my Abbey Road stuff. I still love all my Waves stuff. I just don't know what to think about this.

Man... wtf just happen!!!?

Unbelievable indeed. Literally. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Nick Blanc said:

They can't get back what they didn't have. Their perpetual sale tactics and their sprinkling of free plugins all over the place made me distrust their system. But for me, this whole thing was just a big 'meh'. I could see how other people were affected and that is shameful at least. But for me personally? Nothing. They have nothing I would really want (perhaps Clarity) and don't already have, I don't do WUP and my Windows machine pretty much ensures me I will never have to.

So, come to think of it, I was already done with Waves haha. Nevermind. Carry on.

I respect that Waves gets to decide how they do business and for a long time they have used WUP and a number of other policies, like very high list prices which make resales difficult.   I respect that they have the right to do these things, I just choose to respond as a customer by rarely buying their products.   

But they have had a system in place over the years and they've stuck to it. Which is a commitment they've made to their loyal customers. Most are okay with it.

But IMHO this move is like Elon Musk firing people suddenly and without warning and then realizing he needs them so he tries to hire them back.  Even though they then have their jobs back, it's not like nothing happened.

Waves has shown their cards about what kind of company they are and I believe they have diminished their brand forever. 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, GroverKen said:

Just received an email to tell me I can now WUP. And will I?

unless you really need to WUP today for technical reasons it's usually best to wait until you really need to before you WUP - or if they add enough plugins to your bundles to make it worth while (which never happens any more).  Also depending on what you've got it sometimes cheaper to UPGRADE to another bundle than WUP as this gives you the WUP plus extra plugs....so if you wait you may get a bigger deal ?

obviously YMMV.

In the short term there is no way they will remove WUP after this week so you are safe for a bit.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Fleer said:

Unbelievable indeed. Literally. 

Clown world happened lol 

Just learned a new english sentence by the way today : "your monkey your circus " lol (India to USA about ukraine lol ) 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, simon said:

It's not as simple as pressing 'undo' - I would think that it's a nightmare job unravelling it all.

ahem - rollback plan - ahem

if i had any investment in waves this would not help my opinion of them or their it/business acumen

• Like 2

1 minute ago, pwalpwal said:

ahem - rollback plan - ahem

if i had any investment in waves this would not help my opinion of them or their it/business acumen

but it's not really a rollback ? It's a rollforward

They are not stopping the subscription or the various other 'new' things they announced - they are having to hack the perpetual licences and WUP back into the current running system, and I assume some people bought the subscription ?

It's much, much harder proposition than just going back to the backup from Sunday morning.  Sounds like hard work to me ?

but I agree it wouldn't help my opinion of their business acumen. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, simon said:

but it's not really a rollback ? It's a rollforward

They are not stopping the subscription or the various other 'new' things they announced - they are having to hack the perpetual licences and WUP back into the current running system, and I assume some people bought the subscription ?

It's much, much harder proposition than just going back to the backup from Sunday morning.  Sounds like hard work to me ?

but I agree it wouldn't help my opinion of their business acumen. 

i guess i was reacting to a user's post that it would be difficult to undo the technical/software changes (software license, website etc) without a rollback plan (any software/technical company worth their salt always has such a thing when changing stuff) rather than their idiotic business choice  🤷‍♂️ apologies if i wasn't clear

• Like 1

On 3/30/2023 at 5:30 AM, TheSteven said:

Brillant marketing on Waves part - like the Coke/Coke Classic move in 1985 regardless of their motivations it raised Cokes profits that year 14%.
For Wave - tons of free publicity, lots of sales generated by people trying to obtain permanent licenses or WUP before the deadline and they flushed out all the old license codes that were out in the wild.   Despite some potentially grump customers - a win/win situation for Waves.

I don't see it this as a win-win for Waves at all. Their reputation was mediocre before this. Now it's in tatters.

They say any publicity is good publicity. This might apply in the case covered by Oscar Wilde's quote: “The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about” but it doesn't apply here. Waves were already talked about. They didn't need the extra exposure, and they certainly didn't need this kind of exposure.

A lot of the customers they've lost over this debacle will be lost for good.

1 hour ago, Zo said:

I§s it me or Waves just go back all sales in house without having to justify it to resellers and contracts ...

I've been thinking about that too.. they obviously shafted all their users in the process, but also all their resellers that have supported them over so many years even when they've become the joke of the industry. They appear to have been able to poorly handle any of their relationships all at once.. I hope they at least look after their developers and any suppliers!

55 minutes ago, kitekrazy said:

Usually I have to buy 3 licenses of a Waves product.   I aint doin that USB drive either.   I have 3 iLoks and those never move where I can hardly find most of my USB drives.

The past couple of years I've been keeping my Waves licenses on a small USB that lives on my USB hub, haven't had any problems with it.

• Like 3

I had 3 licenses of many Waves titles for a very specific reason: not to WUP. 
And then Waves told us perpetual licenses would be no more,

So I gave them all away. 

And then Waves said sorry. 
I love those guys, really do  

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 4

27 minutes ago, Fleer said:

I had 3 licenses of many Waves titles for a very specific reason: not to WUP. 
And then Waves told us perpetual licenses would be no more,

So I gave them all away. 

And then Waves said sorry. 
I love those guys, really do  

Ask them a  re activation , i'm serious .....

And re sell them another time ahahah (joking here ..... or not lol )

Edited by Zo
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1