Waves reinstates perpetual and WUP!!!

Yan Filiatrault

Does kinda make you wonder, doesn't it?  They must have expected some backlash but just not as overwhelming as it was.  Their Facebook page was loaded to the hilt with negativity and just raw hatred.  Maybe after things have calmed down who knows what they may try again.  This whole thing makes me think back fondly to the days when you could just buy, install and run software and didn't have to be at the mercy of the vendor as to how you use it.  I could understand them not wanting the piracy and copying but they have gotten to the point where they have gone too far with their control.  This is a good example.

😀John B

• Like 6

The sudden announcement that Waves was going  subscription  really turned me off. Usually when this happens I move on to something else. Regardless of todays announcement I am definitely finished with buying anything new from them. 

I have been traumatized, and it would take at least one year of free WUP to get me to even look in their direction again. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, balinas said:

The sudden announcement that Waves was going  subscription  really turned me off. Usually when this happens I move on to something else. Regardless of todays announcement I am definitely finished with buying anything new from them. 

I have been traumatized, and it would take at least one year of free WUP to get me to even look in their direction again. 

100%... I had been toying with the idea of upgrading to the Abbey Road Collection, but after their move I'm really glad I didn't spend more money with them..

Their next shafting is probably already being discussed and  planned in their boardroom.

I never have WUPd and would definitely recommend people don't immediately reward their customer hostile moves they've displayed through this whole fiasco. Let them stew and see what happens and encourage them to apologise with more than empty words.

In short, don't buy and don't WUP and see what they bring to the table. Definitely check the alternates list as well. There's some better non Waves options in there 🙂

• Like 6

27 minutes ago, MusicMan said:

In short, don't buy and don't WUP 🙂

I won't since I own it all. already.

I don't have to because I boought one last discounted WUP (as a safety net) the day before the chit hit the fan. I'm WUP'd until 25 Jan 2025.

Saul Goodman here. 

• Haha 7

7 minutes ago, Christian Jones said:

What can replace something like Waves' Ovox? Not saying one way or the other that that program is earth-shattering, but what out there can replace it? 

From the provided list/link above by Mr. Garrigus: Zynaptic Orange Vocoder; Devious Machines Pitchmonster; Polyverse Manipulator

• Like 4

Wow. When I found out that they were going subscription,  I couldn't believe it. I mean the way it was done was chitty. 

Now this quick reversal  is just as unbelievable.  

I still love my Abbey Road stuff. I still love all my Waves stuff. I just don't know what to think about this.

Man... wtf just happen!!!?

• Like 2

I did actually WUP a couple of days before, so I knew I was good for at least a year. I never had a problem with WUP, is it perfect? NO, needs to be looked at. I don't begrudge companies needing to pay staff to update software it takes time and resources, but paying over and over again for what you already have doesn't sit well, more so for those on Mac and all the updates needed of late for those people, most other companies offer these updates for free.

Edited by rasure
Spelling!
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Reid Rosefelt said:

That's the issue.  It's hard to get trust back.

They can't get back what they didn't have. Their perpetual sale tactics and their sprinkling of free plugins all over the place made me distrust their system. But for me, this whole thing was just a big 'meh'. I could see how other people were affected and that is shameful at least. But for me personally? Nothing. They have nothing I would really want (perhaps Clarity) and don't already have, I don't do WUP and my Windows machine pretty much ensures me I will never have to.

So, come to think of it, I was already done with Waves haha. Nevermind. Carry on.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Christian Jones said:

What can replace something like Waves' Ovox? Not saying one way or the other that that program is earth-shattering, but what out there can replace it? 

Izotope Vocalsynth is pretty close.   I have version 1 but at this point haven't gone to 2 yet.   https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/VocalSynth2--izotope-vocalsynth-2-vocal-multi-effects-plug-in

😉John B

It's funny, they were able to switch there system over immediately, removing perpetual licenses and going subscription only. You blinked, and it was switched over.  Their website was completely overhauled and Waves Central was updated as well.  Now, for whatever reason, Waves can't seem to switch back as quickly.  Their website still doesn't show prices for individual plugins and it's almost as if they're holding out, just a bit longer to see if anyone bites at the subscription.  For example, someone new to plugins, who isn't up on all of what's been going on.  They may have heard about Waves and will visit their site and see that they only offer subscription, and possibly buy into the subscription thinking that's how you get Waves plugins.  Maybe a bit of a conspiracy, but I wouldn't put it past them.