Waves reinstates perpetual and WUP!!!

Yan Filiatrault

Tbh, Waves needs to do more than just backtrack their decision. 

Things are definitely NOT back to normal. They really betrayed our loyalty and trust.

Give us free WUP for a year and I think I’d be able to forgive their horrible mistake.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Great Idea 5

Brillant marketing on Waves part - like the Coke/Coke Classic move in 1985 regardless of their motivations it raised Cokes profits that year 14%.
For Wave - tons of free publicity, lots of sales generated by people trying to obtain permanent licenses or WUP before the deadline and they flushed out all the old license codes that were out in the wild.   Despite some potentially grump customers - a win/win situation for Waves.

Edited by TheSteven
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

4 minutes ago, TheSteven said:

Brillant marketing on Waves part - like the Coke/Coke Classic move in 1985 regardless of their motivations it raised Cokes profits that year 14%.
For Wave - tons of free publicity, lots of sales generated by people trying to obtain permanent licenses or WUP before the deadline and they flushed out all the old license codes that were out in the wild.   Despite some potentially grump customers - a win/win situation for Waves.

It's possible that they may do well out of it in the short term - I suspect lots will WUP to make sure they are on the latest version just in case it happens again. Who knows what the long term damage is going to be though - and if they feel they need to do something to help undue the reputational damage.

Less than zero chance it was the plan all along (IMO).  They knew they were going to get some flack, like they have before, but they didn't count on the very aggressive 'pile on' nature that social media has adopted in 2023. 

As a very non-political aside, the wonderful digital audio trainer, Eli Krantzberg, noted, on pro-tools-expert how coincidentally the situation with Waves mirrored other events in Tel Aviv at the moment.

Like others have said, I'd have love to have been a fly on the wall 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, lawajava said:

From the Waves announcement on their site: “we’re working to get perpetual available again as soon as possible”.

I wonder if Waves is going to resume working with third party distributors and new product registration codes (you know, the ones that everyone was giving away the other day)?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, trager said:

I wonder if perpetuals will all be at list price now.

Interesting question...

I doubt that they will ever be full retail list price (as in they need to remain competitive), but also doubt that we will see the $29 forever sale resume.

• Like 1

Sore losers :(

This is good news for perpetual license owners, but trust was already lost.

At least subscription enthusiasm among other audio plugins companies was killed by Waves wrong move. Must have been a great lesson for all of them once and for all. Having in mind that most companies are doing their best to promote their products on forums in the form of “user” comments, it was an earthquake what happened everywhere from Cakewalk Discuss, to KVR, Gearspace and VI-Control communities. Probably the damage was fatal to Waves. Who’ll dare to be the next one?

• Like 4

2 hours ago, husker said:

The people I feel bad for now are the folks like Fleer and others who were just giving away serials not just a week ago.  They are the ones who got screwed now....

At least Fleer managed to offload his Abbey Road at full price. It helped that there were flames licking around the buyer's ankles.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Marshall said:

I will continue to wean myself off Waves irrespective of this announcement. 

Me too.  I'm out never to return.  "Fool me once . . ."

I got an email this morning from Kazrog with this subject line:   :Final hours: "perpetually" yours forever 😏"

You gotta love it.

• Haha 5

19 minutes ago, jude77 said:

Me too.  I'm out never to return.  "Fool me once . . ."

I got an email this morning from Kazrog with this subject line:   :Final hours: "perpetually" yours forever 😏"

You gotta love it.

Haha yes got the same one. Made me chuckle 😊

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, jude77 said:

You gotta love it.

Harrison too. Subject line:

“Tired of Plugin Subscriptions? We Have the Solution”

• Like 4