Freetakt - A Free Kontakt Alternative

cclarry

Freetakt is the new choice for musicians and producers who seek quality and versatility without spending a fortune. As a free sampler, it offers powerful features and an intuitive interface, without compromising sound quality.
Freetakt is the perfect alternative to the paid Kontakt, offering a vast library of high-quality samples and support for plugins and integration with other DAWs. If you want to create music without worrying about budget, try Freetakt now and discover how you can access professional tools without spending much.

https://abilityinstruments.com/

https://youtu.be/6rhjIH9g74c

Edited by cclarry
  • Like 2
  • Great Idea 1

i've installed it, but it has no selectable install paths, and it makes folders all over the place. i've tried moving the freetaktvst folder to my vst folder, and cakewalk doesn't see it. the freetaktvst folder is full of dlls.

has anybody managed to get it recognized?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hi Olaf, it seems that they are publishing updates with corrections and improvements almost every day. In version 1.0.6, there is now an option to select the VST directory during the installation... for me it's all working fine 

Edited by R3Studio
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Grem said:

This reminds me of the free plugins format. Since it's intro, haven't heard much about it.

I've been noticing some uptake amongst indie developers, if you mean CLAP.

I guess one wouldn't hear much about it until they went to acquire a plug-in and noticed that the developer offered it in that format. What else is there to hear? Which was part of my skepticism about its eventual success: it doesn't really mean anything to me as a consumer. There aren't going to be any hosts or plug-ins that are going to be CLAP-only. It only (possibly) benefits developers, with mayyyyybe a slight benefit to consumers in the form of letting Steinberg know that there is a viable format ready to take VST's place if they ever decide to wield their power in a crappy way (again, like they did with VST3 by essentially forcing plug-in developers to code in features that were missing or broken from Cubendo like sidechaining support).

9 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

I've been noticing some uptake amongst indie developers, if you mean CLAP.

I haven't seen any. Like you said, I wouldn't notice until some dev started offering it. Which is where I am. Haven't seen any of the major players offer it yet. If even one would offer it, that's  major. 

My concerns here are licensing.  What are libraries going to be protected with? Will Freetack offer something that would encourage devs to code for that platform? 

We will see.

Edited by Grem
  • Like 1

Downloaded, installed, and tested. Latency issues, sticking notes, uninstalled!!

I was interested in this because I have been looking for an alternative besides TW16x for building my own sample libraries. 

Sorry! I am very happy with TW16x and will stick with it for now.  I hope they continue work on Freetakt as it looks to be a winner.

8 hours ago, Grem said:

This reminds me of the free plugins format. Since it's intro, haven't heard much about it. 

So this may make a big splash and then....

The 800-pound gorilla will likely continue (kontinue?) to be Kontakt.  That product goes back 21 years and that's a very long time to incorporate an impressive series of technology improvements and a list of features under the covers. I applaud anyone willing to take on a task like Freetakt because there are too many vectors that lead to any meaningful adoption -- it's a hell of a long road. 

Were I interested in turning any of the recordings I've made over the years into sample libraries, I haven't yet seen anywhere near enough detail that would compel me to invest my time and energy. Too many unknowns. In the mean time, Kontakt does what it says on the tin. Encoding and license fees are the overhead to maintain both the platform and provide a library its copy protections. After studying the fee schedule, I find little to object to.

1 hour ago, John1984 said:

(kontinue?)

Good one!!

I applaud anyone willing to take on a task like Freetakt

Me too. And would support them when that time comes.

it's a hell of a long road. 

I guess that's what I was really trying to say. Bravo to them for even trying.