New Melodyne Patch

Paul G

We've been discussing this in another thread.

I found this to be worse than 4.2.0.  I've found that once I set my default detection algorithm in 4.2.0, it remembered it and worked fine even after rebooting the PC.

In 4.2.1 however, it consistently hangs cakewalk when dragging an audio track on to a MIDI track. The workaround is to create a region FX and manually select the detection algorithm. It'll then work for the rest of the session with that project.

The Patch is for all Versions of Melodyne, including Melodyne Essential that came with SPLAT. You'll get a "personal" Update File, according to your installation. I did it (Yes, I'm still on Essential) and it works.

HTH

Cheers 😊

Edited by mkerl

I just installed the update a short while ago and gave it a spin.  Unfortunately, it still doesn't remember the default for the algorithm that I want (melody).  The blobs are still in a straight line until I click on melody in the algorithm setting.  Is anyone else getting this, too?

Any improvement in sound quality?   Whenever I lower a (vocal) note, even just one semitone, the audio sounds  more muffled that the original recording.
Going up the scale doesn't seem to make things sound worse, only going down.    It's been like that for a long time.
I emailed Celemony about it, and they said they never experienced that and wanted me to send them a sample (which I never got around to doing yet).
I figured if they didn't know about this problem, they're either lying or it's just me having this problem.     Since my vocals aren't that great to begin with, I usually apply Melodyne to the entire track, as a track FX.

5 hours ago, Lee Shapiro said:

Any improvement in sound quality?   Whenever I lower a (vocal) note, even just one semitone, the audio sounds  more muffled that the original recording.
Going up the scale doesn't seem to make things sound worse, only going down.    It's been like that for a long time.
I emailed Celemony about it, and they said they never experienced that and wanted me to send them a sample (which I never got around to doing yet).
I figured if they didn't know about this problem, they're either lying or it's just me having this problem.     Since my vocals aren't that great to begin with, I usually apply Melodyne to the entire track, as a track FX.

I find that the selecting the right detection algorithm can affect the sound quality greatly.

Try changing the correction algorithm and see if it makes a difference.

2 hours ago, msmcleod said:

I find that the selecting the right detection algorithm can affect the sound quality greatly.

Try changing the correction algorithm and see if it makes a difference. 

I think I tried that before a long time ago.  I usually have it set to "Melodic" for a single vocal track.       I seem to remember the other choices either didn't work or didn't sound as good.  I might try the Universal algorithm and see if that improves anything.   Thanks!

Yes, the patch is for all editions of Melodyne. FWIW, I did send Celemony projects that were having issues, and I was told they worked fine for them. Funny, because I had multiple projects misbehaving, and sent them screen shots of the problem multiple times. It's also disappointing that it's been 4 months since they introduced the problem with the 4.2 release, a turn around time I find unacceptable given the cost of the product... I'll stick with 4.1 a bit longer until I'm sure there's actually a fix...

17 hours ago, bitflipper said:

Don't know for sure, but my guess would be that yes, it applies to all editions. AFAIK there is just one common executable, with different features enabled or disabled to create the different versions. So a fix to one would constitute a fix to all.

15 hours ago, Lynn Wilson said:

I just installed the update a short while ago and gave it a spin.  Unfortunately, it still doesn't remember the default for the algorithm that I want (melody).  The blobs are still in a straight line until I click on melody in the algorithm setting.  Is anyone else getting this, too?

6 hours ago, Lee Shapiro said:

I think I tried that before a long time ago.  I usually have it set to "Melodic" for a single vocal track.       I seem to remember the other choices either didn't work or didn't sound as good.  I might try the Universal algorithm and see if that improves anything.   Thanks!

Try adjusting the formants of the blobs that you move. I find that if I tune more then a few 10ths of a semitone an adjustment of the formants is needed.

Thanks, I was wondering if I should just keep the original version for now, seeing as how I've been reading there have been some issues with the recent update.  Think it's worth updating?...have to think which is the lesser of two evils, keeping the original, or updating to a possibly buggy new version?

20 hours ago, reginaldStjohn said:

Try adjusting the formants of the blobs that you move. I find that if I tune more then a few 10ths of a semitone an adjustment of the formants is needed.

I don't think there's a way to adjust formants in Essential, but yes, that really helps. On higher notes, pulling down the formant can help reduce "screech."

17 hours ago, Craig Anderton said:

I don't think there's a way to adjust formants in Essential, but yes, that really helps. On higher notes, pulling down the formant can help reduce "screech."

I have Melodyne Studio, but haven't had much luck with adjusting the formants.  It just makes things sound worse.
I think we need "The Huge Book of Melodyne Tips".  😁

• Great Idea 1

The key to formants is small adjustments. It might seem logical that if you transpose up 2 semitones, you should raise the formant by 2 semitones. 
But singing higher already changes the formant, so if you lower the formant by, say, half a semitone, it will probably sound more realistic.

As to "The Huge Book of Melodyne Tips," that's actually not a bad idea...

• Great Idea 2

3 hours ago, Craig Anderton said:

The key to formants is small adjustments. It might seem logical that if you transpose up 2 semitones, you should raise the formant by 2 semitones. 
But singing higher already changes the formant, so if you lower the formant by, say, half a semitone, it will probably sound more realistic.

As to "The Huge Book of Melodyne Tips," that's actually not a bad idea...

Go for it Craig