any Reaper users/fans here?

Leandro Álvarez

3 minutes ago, Sander Verstraten said:

I think he's too busy pushing out updates every month to be concerned with changing his business model

Yes, I think he is quite happy coding his DAW and with how things are. Looking at the DAW market, one can save a lot of money using Reaper. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Brian Walton said:

Or you could use Cakewalk and save even more.

Point taken. I have a Reaper license and like the small hard disk footprint, stability, and tight coding approach that has been taken. Like Bapu, I've chosen S1 for everyday work, however. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ralfrobert said:

Looking at the DAW market, one can save a lot of money using Reaper. 

57 minutes ago, Brian Walton said:

Or you could use Cakewalk and save even more.

Not if you need to run on a Mac or want to be multi-platform compliant. 😉 

• Like 1

I have Reaper installed as a secondary DAW, with Studio One as my chosen go-to. Reaper is a highly efficient, stable DAW.

The thing I really like about Reaper is that a track is a track. It can route MIDI or audio as needed. It's all up to you what you do with a track. There are no dedicated track types such as instrument tracks, MIDI tracks, or audio tracks. Very flexible!

So you can insert a MIDI plugin (such as an arpeggiator that outputs MIDI) on the same track as a virtual instrument. Just place it in the plugin chain ahead of the instrument, no second track or special routing setup required!

Or you can easily route audio directly into an instrument plugin that presents an audio input to the host. One use case would be sampler plugins that can record live audio from a direct input. Other DAWs with strictly defined track types might not allow audio input to an instrument track.

• Great Idea 1

4 hours ago, abacab said:

The thing I really like about Reaper is that a track is a track. It can route MIDI or audio as needed. It's all up to you what you do with a track. There are no dedicated track types such as instrument tracks, MIDI tracks, or audio tracks. Very flexible!

Yeah, that's great! But on the other hand I miss that there is not a dedicated Mono track setting, i.e. it is more complicated to set it up using mono plugins.

I use mostly CbB, because I prefer the totally zoomed in audio view, the Radius stretching and I am also more fluid in working with it.

On the other hand I am absolutely a fan of Reaper's

• great batch processing (can even be used on a folder outside the daw)
  • light installation (I like the portable install, no Windows hassles)
  • performance (very light on cpu, run's even on my old i5 laptop without issue)
  • user-friendly authorization
  • super-fast plugin scan
  • absolute reliability (I never had an issue for years, except with plugins)
  • possibility of tape-like stretching (naturally affecting the pitch; I used it to fix old tape recordings)