Eastwest Fantasy Orchestra (Fantasy Strings, 5 other Fantasy releases coming up in 2023)

Yan Filiatrault

Introducing Hollywood Fantasy Orchestra, a brand-new orchestra that includes everything you need to create fantasy film, television, and game soundtracks. Produced by sound titans Doug Rogers and Nick Phoenix, Hollywood Fantasy Orchestra includes unique ensembles of world instruments that have been featured in the biggest movies and games in history, mixed with modern octave-doubled orchestral sections that perfectly compliment Hollywood Orchestra, all with full stereo imaging mic placement and all the features of EastWest’s revolutionary Opus player. If you’re scoring the next big fantasy epic or medieval tale, adding in a few period solo instruments won’t cut it — you need to bridge the gap between orchestral and world instruments. Every instrument needs to earn its place in the mix to create a massive cinematic sound, so we created an entirely new orchestra that puts all the period instruments you need on the same stage. It’s simply unlike anything you’ve heard before.

CHAPTER 1

HOLLYWOOD FANTASY STRINGS

Hollywood Fantasy Strings is the first iteration of Hollywood Fantasy Orchestra, putting 5 of the most iconic instruments from the Medieval, Renaissance, and Baroque eras at your fingertips alongside brand-new stylized recordings from modern-day orchestral musicians. It includes true legato, diverse articulations, everything you need to produce the perfect fantasy cue to the highest professional standards. We infused it with the same power and flexibility as Hollywood Strings, with the same microphone placements, in the exact same studio, tailor-made to mix perfectly, so you can rest assured that your string libraries are all up to the task.

https://www.soundsonline.com/orchestral/hollywood-fantasy-orchestra

• Like 1

I have the Composer Cloud subscription and have just installed the first release. the strings.

There is a lot to explore here so I have only had the briefest of browses through the pre-sets. It all sounds pretty impressive but I do think the reverb is laid on too thick in most cases for my taste but can very easily be dialled back.

Some of the "6 Celli and 4 Basses" pre-sets are really powerful, excellent stuff!

The Hardanger Fiddles and the Viol ade Gamba sound very nice indeed.

As a mountain dulcimer player I could be critical of the mountain dulcimer pre-sets as I don't think the sound authentic , but they do sound good and usable as unique sounds in their own right. The same probably applies to the lute which seems very bright.

My first impression is this package is going to get some use!!

I look forward to the rest of this series, particularly when they add the orchestrator. 

• Like 1

From Nick Phoenix on VI Control:

‘I wanted to release the whole orchestra at once but we couldn’t quite make it. The rest is coming really soon. But you gotta admit, we did announce and release the strings on the same day! That’s a first. Haha. I don’t get that anyone could have anything negative to say about release dates in this case. The rest is basically done, so those dates they announced are set in stone or it will be earlier. 

I think you will find this really inspiring. Just from an orchestral perspective, viola da gamba section replaces celli, hardanger fiddle section replaces violins, Flugelhorn section replaces trumpets, Wagner Tuben section and also alpenhorn section replaces French horns, renaissance flutes and Irish Whistles replace flutes, ocarina ensembles replace oboes Etc. Orchestral percussion recorded in wide stereo ensembles of 3. Then there is the baroque and ethnic side of the library with more ensembles of 3. Then there are the braaaaaams!!! Just kidding. But we do have wicked ensembles of strings and brass played in octaves. This is the least original part of the library but it sounds amazing.’

• 1 month later...
On 3/25/2023 at 2:49 AM, Vernon Barnes said:

That's just the strings, so +/- $1600 for the 5.  I know people around here don't like subs but my CC subscription is one of the best deals I have had.

Maybe, but consider...

EastWest Hollywood Fantasy Orchestra

$599  for the complete bundle - preorder, no subscription.
Being Fantasy Strings is going for $355 at JRR the complete bundle looks like one hell of a bargain.
and that I can pick up using PayPal credit and spread the payments over 6 months kinda makes it a no brainer.

Edited by TheSteven

17 minutes ago, TheSteven said:

Maybe, but consider...

EastWest Hollywood Fantasy Orchestra

$599  for the complete bundle - preorder, no subscription.
Being Fantasy Strings is going for $355 at JRR the complete bundle looks like one hell of a bargain.
and that I can pick up using PayPal credit and spread the payments over 6 months kinda makes it a no brainer.

And that includes the NEW "Fantasy Orchestrator"!  $499 if you don't want the new Orchestrator!

• Like 2