Waves Discontinues Perpetual Licenses (UPDATE: They have gone Subscription Only)

Martin H.

2 hours ago, Luc said:

The account-related pages (My Products / Upgrades / Waves Update Plan, etc.) on the Waves site currently showing:

"Waves.com is undergoing maintenance. To access your Waves account or purchase Waves products at our online store, please try again later."

I'm getting a 502 error on the entire site

Sweetwater is still selling Waves plugins as they did before.  It is possible that Waves is just changing their software registration system and eliminating smaller retailers that weren’t moving a lot of product. In any event,  we'll soon find out. 

Just now, Johnbee58 said:

8:29 AM DST.  I got into my account.  Did anybody take notice of the discrepancy in MONDAY March 26?  Today (Sunday) is March 26.  So are they talking Sunday, March 26 or perhaps Monday the 27th?

😀John B

Exactly.

Monday is indeed on 27th. Must be a mistake.

The date 26th has mentioned multiple times. So today must be the last day we can register serials. 

25th (what 3rd party resellers) mention, must be their own last date they would be selling Waves plugins.

7 minutes ago, PavlovsCat said:

Sweetwater is still selling Waves plugins as they did before.  It is possible that Waves is just changing their software registration system and eliminating smaller retailers that weren’t moving a lot of product. In any event,  we'll soon find out. 

This is what Resellers are currently still selling:

Sweetwater: Everything from Waves
Audio Deluxe: Waves Musicians 2 Bundle
PluginDiscounts: Everything from Waves
EveryPlugin:  eMotion LV1 Live Mixer & SuperRack

Someone on GS got this email:

Waves Update Plan is no longer available for these products. In order to continue receiving many of the benefits that Waves Update Plan has provided plus new products, features & services, you will need a Waves Creative Access subscription.

You can continue using the current version of your Waves licenses (main license only; 2nd licenses are excluded) even if you do not have Waves Update Plan coverage. You may purchase a subscription when you need the benefits provided by Waves Creative Access.

If you have any questions or comments, please contact the Waves Sales team at 1-865-909-9200 ext. 2 or here.

Best regards,
The Waves Team

They're replacing WUP with a subscription plan.

Edited by jngnz
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, jngnz said:

Someone on GS got this email:

Waves Update Plan is no longer available for these products. In order to continue receiving many of the benefits that Waves Update Plan has provided plus new products, features & services, you will need a Waves Creative Access subscription.

You can continue using the current version of your Waves licenses (main license only; 2nd licenses are excluded) even if you do not have Waves Update Plan coverage. You may purchase a subscription when you need the benefits provided by Waves Creative Access.

If you have any questions or comments, please contact the Waves Sales team at 1-865-909-9200 ext. 2 or here.

Best regards,
The Waves Team

They're replacing WUP with a subscription plan.

WUP was pretty subscription like in many ways.. if it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck.. it's probably Waves 🤣

That copy of the email looks pretty plausible and likely legitimate. After lots of speculation, if it is then real, then it's about time they openly shared the full situation.

Either way, I think they've lost any of their customers that were on the fence and probably will lose some more of their regulars too. I'd imagine they will get even lower percentages of newer producers and engineers starting out as well.

I think Waves' superpower is alienating customers.. it's like they just want to deter people from spending money with them!

Edited by MusicMan
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, MusicMan said:

WUP was pretty subscription like in many ways.. if it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck.. it's probably Waves 🤣

I agree. It was just a rarer form of subscription where you get to keep using the product when you stop paying. Other examples of this model include HitFilm (video production) and ReSharper (software development plugin).

1 hour ago, antler said:

I agree. It was just a rarer form of subscription where you get to keep using the product when you stop paying. Other examples of this model include HitFilm (video production) and ReSharper (software development plugin).

I'd argue that the Waves Update Plan was simply paying to support ongoing development efforts. I don't object to contributing to the cost of bringing new features and capabilities to plugins I've paid once for, whether many years ago or last week. Like the Pro Tools example I mentioned earlier, I can freeze my products and continue using them.

If that quote above is actually Waves' new position on things, I'll have to wait to see how the subscription plan compares to the WUP I just paid for. Then it's a judgement call for me. Either way, my plugins will continue to function. And I will not buy into a subscription plan -- as someone else mentioned, I want to be able to open a session years from now and all of the plugins function as when I saved the project.

• Like 1