Waves Discontinues Perpetual Licenses (UPDATE: They have gone Subscription Only)

Martin H.

They've restored perpetual licenses,  but restoring their customers trust will be much harder. 

Waves showed their customers that there was something even worse than WUP. It doesn't endear Waves to me. In fact, after this, I doubt I will buy a Waves plugin again. However,  if one of my Abbey Road plugins stops working,  I would WUP it -- assuming that Waves hasn't gone back to subscription only at that point, which I do think remains a possibility after this situation. Without a doubt,  I don't think it's wise to trust this company.  However,  I'm grateful that they restored perpetual licenses and their customers' ability to buy support contracts (WUP) in case our existing plugins stop working. But it's a lot like a school bully who decided not to steal a kid's lunch money for a day. I have zero confidence Waves will not engage in future problematic practices; in fact my expectation is that they will engage in other problematic practices. However,  there's a wealth of talented developers that I think are more trustworthy and deserving of our money. I'll be supporting them. 

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 10

On 3/26/2023 at 8:06 PM, John1984 said:

I'd put money on Waves changing course on selling perpetual licenses and WUP within 30 days, but I don't believe it's going to save this company. The problem, as I see it, is the pooch is as screwed as one can imagine. This was such a galactically stupid way of handling it from one end to the other.

I'm not a betting man, but if I were, I'd put $100 down on Soundwide owning Waves within twelve months.

As an aside, if I were pro-tools-expert.com, I'm not sure I'd be that excited about having the scoop so very well prepared today. 

I'll stand by both of those Magic 8-Ball predictions.

• Haha 2

Excellent news that they didn't take too long to turn around. Now we can turn the conversation to whether the subscription deal is good or not (I'm not subscribing because I already have Mercury, Abbey road, Nx collection and Inspire but actually, I think they priced it quite right for new users)

The apology in the reinstatement letter was the right thing to do, and hopefully they'll follow it up with some nice surprise.

I’m just waiting for something along the lines of:

“In celebration of welcoming back perpetual licenses, and as our way of saying we’re sorry, we’re pleased to present all of our long-time loyalty users with a record-low discount price of $28.99 across our entire library of plugins!…”

Edited by dumbquestions
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

3 hours ago, John1984 said:

They’re backtracking now, LMAO :D

Where are now the Waves advocates of our forum to tell us the tale about the Angry Minority ™ :) like this guy called @Carl Ewing who was sharing his wishful thinking yesterday, destroying all the critics of Waves sub move.

Edited by Marina
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, dumbquestions said:

I’m just waiting for something along the lines of:

“In celebration of welcoming back perpetual licenses, and as our way of saying we’re sorry, we’re pleased to present all of our long-time loyalty users with a record-low discount price of $28.99 across our entire library of plugins!…”

I'm a simple man. Add StudioVerse to Mercury, do a 50% off WUP sale and I'll be a happy camper

• Like 1

The one benefit for Waves and this whole debacle…

They forced us to register our unregistered plugins(else we’d lose those plugins). Meaning they cleaned-house on all the unregistered serials and they’ll most likely make money sooner than later with those potential future WUP’d plugins.

I bought a Waves bundle during the last BF/CM sale… I really despise them for making me have to register sooner than I had wanted.

Stay classy, Waves.

• Sad 1

Good that they reversed their boneheaded decision, however, I'm done with them. Generally, there are much better plugins from other companies that actually value their customers. The slap in the face from Waves management was the wake-up call I guess many of us needed. Some are quick to forgive and forget, others have already moved on and let that be a lesson to Waves and other companies.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Vernon Barnes said:

After 26th March update Waves VSts wont load in Studio One. 

Not here. I did the update to waves central, did a complete uninstall, and the na fresh install (of V14 only since I own the whole kitandkaboodle). Everything is as it should be on Studio One.