Waves Discontinues Perpetual Licenses (UPDATE: They have gone Subscription Only)

Martin H.

1 hour ago, Johnbee58 said:

This wasn't a mistake on their part.  They knew exactly what they were doing and expected the backlash.  What they want is to lose the "Home Recordist" market and just serve the pros.  The pros can afford $300.00 a month.  "Bedroom engineers" can't.

In the end what matters is the money. I have the impression that there are many more Home Recordists than pros. And I assume that those pros are among the WUPing crowd so the income they generate will not change much.

If after this change Waves see a drop in their income I think they'll reconsider, as PA did in the past for instance.

From my part I'm a Windows user and I never paid WUP for my plugins. The only thing I did was upgrade my bundles (or upgrade to bundles) and in the process I updated the included plugins.

I still have plugins from version 9 to 14 and all of them install and run in Windows 10. I'll keep using then while I can and if they ever stop running then I'll choose whatever else I can find. I have no intention to subscribe to any Waves plan.

The only subscription I keep is the Roland Cloud but just because I can keep one plugin per year. From my POV I'm buying the plugin for the same price or less and getting one year of cloud access as a free gift  🙂

I got into Waves when I first started, and I have a ton of their plugs, starting with the entire Abbey Road collection.  But, I'm done with them. Going to subscription is one thing -- seems more and more of the big developers are -- but screwing current longtime users with no way to stay current UNLESS you fork over $150 minimum for a limited number of products compared to the $250/year for access to them all via subscription? Nope. Buh-bye. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Tomgu said:

I would appreciate if they WUP'd all the existing licenses. I have so many different versions that installing them is a mess (which is Waves' fault).

I just sent them an email asking for this, nicely.  Next up: I'll buy the winning lottery ticket :)

• Like 4

Well, it seems that I am done with Waves.  Their stuff isn't that great that I need to pay for it over and over again.  I have a few of their plugins, but I have noticed that I have used them less over the last 2 years.  

In some respects, this whole thing I call "life" is just a subscription in that on some level, I can't take it with me.  We all say that, but do we really know?

Some subscriptions in life I will continue to keep paying for like breathing, eating and enjoying the sunshine.  But other things like a Waves subscription plan? I will let that one go.  

• Like 6

27 minutes ago, Martin H. said:

Nothing seems lost.

I came across this on the Waves website under ''Contact Us'' :

reeeeee2.jpg

Funny. I DID contact them to let them know I was done if they're going to screw longtime current users; maybe enough (ex) users are piling into their email boxes.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Tomgu said:

I just sent them an email asking for this, nicely.

I like this idea though I would have the same expectations as you. But, nothing wrong with letting them know civilly our frustration.

I was secretly hoping we’d see an offer of trying the full subscription allowing all of our perpetual licenses to be fully updated even after canceling - even if they required 6 months to a year (including the two free months 🙂)

Of course, I like dreaming!

Edited by Fwrend
  • Like 1

I’m not holding my breath for Waves to reverse course. Even if they do, I’m not sure I can trust them to give them any more of my money.  Fool me once.

I’m moving forward with UA, PA, IK and especially the smaller devs.

Speaking of smaller devs, who are your faves? And which plugins in particular are your go-to’s?  Very much would like to know.

For me;

Melda: Love their pitch shifter and MCompare

Valhalla: All of their plugs are amazing.  But I keep reaching for their delays

Audio Damage: Awesome developer.  Love Filterstation, EOS 2 and Kombinat Tri

D16: It’s like Pokémon... “Gotta catch ‘em all!” They’re that good!

• Like 7

22 minutes ago, abacab said:

I suppose today would be a great opportunity for all of Waves competitors to open the floodgates of "special" sales!!! 🤣

I just got an email from Purafied Audio: "WAVE goodbye to plugin subscriptions".

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

17 minutes ago, Jacques Boileau said:

Some do, just received this 🙂:

image.thumb.png.1c3ee8dec608479ae31bd064bdc0c851.png

I can only respect Waves' competitors for seizing the opportunity to promote that they don't force their customers into subscriptions or even do an Update Plan type program (Waves previous less than embraced strategy for ongoing revenue from its customers).  I think it will appeal to many former Waves customers who feel burned right now. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, abacab said:

Popcorn time. User reaction to the announcement over at the Waves forum...

https://forum.waves.com/t/introducing-waves-creative-access/6850

Popcorn eating gif.gif

Holy crap!  Checked it out... Now that's what I call an uproar!

Would love to be a fly on the wall at those Waves Execs meetings, lol

They'd have to be complete idiots not to bring back perpetual licenses and WUP

Also, check out: https://www.facebook.com/waves

Lots of angry folks there as well

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1