Waves Discontinues Perpetual Licenses (UPDATE: They have gone Subscription Only)

Martin H.

Just checked the Sweetwater website.  This afternoon they still carried Waves plugins.  Now they're all empty pages.

I despise them (Waves) now.  I personally hope they lose so much business that they go belly up.  This has to be one of the most underhanded business decisions I've ever seen a company do. It actually makes me question whether I want to continue making music like this.  I'm just a hobbyist.  I can't afford $300.00 a year for a damned subscription for anything!  I know some of you will say that there are alternatives.  Yes, there certainly are plenty of alternatives but I put HUNDREDS of dollars into what I have from them over the years and to realize that they may become useless soon.  When that happens I'm done.  I've had enough.  It's not worth the frustration anymore.  If they can do this, who knows what's next?  I quit the whole damned thing!

😠

• Like 4
  • Great Idea 2

18 minutes ago, Johnbee58 said:

Just checked the Sweetwater website.  This afternoon they still carried Waves plugins.  Now they're all empty pages.

I despise them (Waves) now.  I personally hope they lose so much business that they go belly up.  This has to be one of the most underhanded business decisions I've ever seen a company do. It actually makes me question whether I want to continue making music like this.  I'm just a hobbyist.  I can't afford $300.00 a year for a damned subscription for anything!  I know some of you will say that there are alternatives.  Yes, there certainly are plenty of alternatives but I put HUNDREDS of dollars into what I have from them over the years and to realize that they may become useless soon.  When that happens I'm done.  I've had enough.  It's not worth the frustration anymore.  If they can do this, who knows what's next?  I quit the whole damned thing!

😠

To varying degrees, you've captured the general feeling one gets from reading a number of forums and the posts regarding this cluster.

I'd put money on Waves changing course on selling perpetual licenses and WUP within 30 days, but I don't believe it's going to save this company. The problem, as I see it, is the pooch is as screwed as one can imagine. This was such a galactically stupid way of handling it from one end to the other.

I'm not a betting man, but if I were, I'd put $100 down on Soundwide owning Waves within twelve months.

As an aside, if I were pro-tools-expert.com, I'm not sure I'd be that excited about having the scoop so very well prepared today. 

Edited by John1984
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Hopefully IK never goes that route but they are also in the hardware business.

If Waves reverts back I doubt there will be enough forgiveness. Nothing like giving the end user a large middle finger.   Another reason for them not to revert back is stuffed shirts wont give up their pride.

We often overlook the plugins in our DAWs. 

What is also overlooked is now there will be an increase of piracy.  Hackers like challenges.

Small developers are where it's at.  See Boz, TGR, Melda, and of course Fab Filter.

Edited by kitekrazy
  • Like 4

Well I got one thing right. They got rid of WUP.

WUPs time was up. 

I've bought over $550 worth of Waves abandonware it seems. But if I'm honest, I hardly use any of it. So I guess I'm just glad I didn't WUP or upgrade to Mercury. 

I think with the amount of backlash they're facing, they might pull a Bitwig and reverse course. But maybe it's all just part of the plan to drum up more sales? Take away perpetual sales temporarily to sell a few subs, then give in to customer demand and bring back perpetual sales later.

• Like 2
  • Great Idea 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Fleer said:

I wonder what those guys who got Mercury last week are thinking. 
Come to think of it, I was almost one of ‘em.

most of us with paid licenses will loose all money invested in waves as at some point with new MAC or WIN systems they will stop be compatible so sooner or later you will not be able to use anyway,,,

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, abacab said:

Just noticed that Waves Abbey Road collection is only available in the "Ultimate" sub.

Great to know that owning the perpetual version of Abbey Road will save me $25/mo... ;)

As for me, great to know I sold it just in time. 

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 2

2 hours ago, Fleer said:

Well, for one who disliked WUP for many years, this is as low as they could blow. 

Waves... "Hold my beer.. you think this is as low as we could go?! You should see the next shady idea we've got planned. Our slogan at Waves is "We hate customers, upsetting Waves of them at a time, wherever we can""

• Like 1
  • Haha 4