Waves Discontinues Perpetual Licenses (UPDATE: They have gone Subscription Only)

Martin H.

11 minutes ago, cclarry said:

WOW...not even publishing how this is going to work for those that will never Sub.

Will Installing Waves Creative Access Deactivate My Perpetual Licences?

Waves users who have purchased perpetually licenced plugins are still theirs to use indefinitely. Users who want to continue using perpetual licences for purchased products should consult with Waves support pages before upgrading to Waves Creative Access.

• Sad 2

Pro-tools-expert have some more information.

I particularly like this

Some Waves users who own bundles will be able to get between 1-2 months for free.

So my mercury/abbeyroad/ssl etc gets me 2 months free - and I'm supposed to be grateful and continue to spend money with them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1

What's scandalous is the fact that Waves.com kept on selling plugins(perpetual licenses) up until the deadline.  Seriously??? That's a messed up move on their part.  No notice or warning on their own website whatsoever.  I feel for the unsuspecting customers who may have made purchases right before the deadline.

They should have at least put a notice/warning on their website with something like:

"Please note: If you make a purchase on Waves.com before March 26th, your plugin will only be supported for the current version only.  Your plugin will not be supported in any future updates/versions, unless you purchase our new subscription service (Details to be announced on March 27, 2023)."

Edited by Lionel
  • Like 3
  • Great Idea 5

5 minutes ago, simon said:

So my mercury/abbeyroad/ssl etc gets me 2 months free - and I'm supposed to be grateful and continue to spend money with them.

I'd be especially concerned about this section:

"Will Installing Waves Creative Access Deactivate My Perpetual Licences?

Waves users who have purchased perpetually licenced plugins are still theirs to use indefinitely. Users who want to continue using perpetual licences for purchased products should consult with Waves support pages before upgrading to Waves Creative Access."

• Like 1

Good thing I finally got my v9 licenses working again yesterday after the latest Central update and/or Studio One update. Regardless, they work now and I can uninstall Waves Central to make sure I never get another update from them that breaks things again.   I have v9-v14 now. I wonder if it's too late to download ALL the offline installers?

PS. I'm sorry, but this is just a plain stupid move. WHY would Waves cut the perpetual license revenue (and users)??  Why not add the subscription as an option and try to get people to warm to the idea? This just pisses off a whole swath of user base that has been customers for years and years.  It makes no sense. 

• Like 4

Let's use this thread to share the names of developers we love that have replaced Waves plugins for us. For me, Sonible. Izotope,  Softube, Eventide, Arturia, the various devs through Plugin Alliance....I have yet to buy SSL stuff, but I have a musician friend who really knows mixing who has urged me to get their stuff. Between cclarry,  Bapu and Fleer, those guys own everything and we can just ask their opinions! The recommendations I've received from many forum members here have been really high quality. I rarely spend time at other music forums because of all of that and the many friendly people here. In the end, I have 30+ Waves plugins and I'm going to try to use alternatives -- so that one year from now,  if I open an old project, I don't have a Waves plugin that stopped working.  

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, PavlovsCat said:

Let's use this thread to share the names of developers we love that have replaced Waves plugins for us. For me, Sonible. Izotope,  Softube, Eventide, Arturia, the various devs through Plugin Alliance....I have yet to buy SSL stuff, but I have a musician friend who really knows mixing who has urged me to get their stuff. Between cclarry,  Bapu and Fleer, those guys own everything and we can just ask their opinions! The recommendations I've received from many forum members here have been really high quality. I rarely spend time at other music forums because of all of that and the many friendly people here. In the end, I have 30+ Waves plugins and I'm going to try to use alternatives -- so that one year from now,  if an. open an old project I don't have a Waves plugin that stopped working.  

Hopefully they realize the mistake they made doing this and re open the perpetual license option again before what we have becomes useless.  Even if they do I'll never buy another plugin from them EVER!

BTW-Sweetwater is still selling their perpetual licenses.  Maybe just because it's Sunday.  I'll have to check with them tomorrow first thing.

🙂JB

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PavlovsCat said:

Let's use this thread to share the names of developers we love that have replaced Waves plugins for us. For me, Sonible. Izotope,  Softube, Eventide, Arturia, the various devs through Plugin Alliance....I have yet to buy SSL stuff, but I have a musician friend who really knows mixing who has urged me to get their stuff. Between cclarry,  Bapu and Fleer, those guys own everything and we can just ask their opinions! The recommendations I've received from many forum members here have been really high quality. I rarely spend time at other music forums because of all of that and the many friendly people here. In the end, I have 30+ Waves plugins and I'm going to try to use alternatives -- so that one year from now,  if an. open an old project I don't have a Waves plugin that stopped working.  

Totally agree!

For me, my main Waves alternatives are:

• Plugin Alliance
  • IK Multimedia
  • Softube
  • Arturia
  • D16
  • Melda
  • Universal Audio

As for someone that just recently purchased a bunch of Waves plugins, I'm actually not going to use them for the same reasons you just mentioned.  I'm just going to take that temporary hit and move on.

As one of my favorite TV Show characters, Barney Fife, would say... "Nip it in the bud."

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, cclarry said:

PS...for those who don't know...this is part of "The Great Reset" (and YES...it's REAL)
in which their OFFICIAL, VERIFIED, stated Motto is "You'll own NOTHING...and you'll be happy!"

seriously ?!? - where does it say that ?

it's almost funny 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cclarry said:

PS...for those who don't know...this is part of "The Great Reset" (and YES...it's REAL)
in which their OFFICIAL, VERIFIED, stated Motto is "You'll own NOTHING...and you'll be happy!"

You'll pay money for owning NOTHING.....   MUAHAHAHAHAHA  (Evil laughter)

• Like 2