Waves Discontinues Perpetual Licenses (UPDATE: They have gone Subscription Only)

Martin H.

I have recieved the following email from PluginDiscounts:

A quick message regarding changes happening at Waves:

Waves Discontinues Perpetual Licenses

On March 26th, Waves will discontinue the option to purchase perpetual plugin and/or bundle licenses, and Waves Update Plan renewals.

If you have purchased a Waves product from us - Please be sure to register it no later than March 25th (tomorrow). There will be no refunds on unused codes, and they will not work after the 25th.

Perpetual licenses will continue to work in Waves accounts. You will be able to continue to use them indefinitely. After 3/25, you will not be able to buy new Waves perpetual licenses, upgrades or extend WUP.

We still have perpetual licenses for all Waves products and discounted WUP. You can shop Waves perpetual plugins and bundles here while they’re still available. You can request your discounted WUP pricing on our site here.

We will stop offering discounted WUP around 1pm east coast time on Saturday.

It seems that Waves will discontinue the option for Perpetual Licenses, upgrades  or extend WUP After March 25th. 

Edited by Martin H.
  • Meh 4

I've just spent quite a few minutes trying to find the difference between 'registered' and 'activated' without any luck.

The waves site itself is pretty opaque on the matter.

Anyone know if a plugin is in my waves central but "not activated" is it registered ?

If I click "Licences" on the left of waves central, I only see plugins that have  been 'activated' and installed.

My six ver.14 plugins that are present but not 'activated' don't show up and I can't get to any serial numbers for them if I have them.

Most if not all six were freebies from waves themselves and deposited directly to my account by them.

EDIT:  the update plans for the six are apparently in effect as they each have different end dates.

Edited by Paul P

4 minutes ago, Paul P said:

Anyone know if a plugin is in my waves central but "not activated" is it registered ?

If it's in your Waves Central account, (IOW, showing in Waves Central app), then it's registered.

You can have different plugins "activated" on different devices. Some on the computer your using, some on a usb stick, some on another computer located half way around the world.

Activated means (afa Waves plugins) you can use it on that "device". And that "device" can be a computer HD, a USB stick, or Waves cloud. Your choice. It's actuallly a good system. Other than only allowing one Activation per product. 

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, ralfrobert said:

At least it seems like you keep what you have indefinitely. 

That's my plan.

I have all the Waves' plugins I want at this point and will continue using them for as long as they work.

But I will not buy any new ones if they're going to expire without a subscription renewal.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, ralfrobert said:

I have to say this kind of communication does not give me the impression that customers are valued very highly at Waves. ....

I've thought this since I was introduced to WAVES more than 2 decades ago.  Nothing new to see here.  😁

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Promidi said:

Why not directly ask waves themselves this question? 

On March 26th, Will waves discontinue the option to purchase perpetual plugin and/or bundle licenses, and Waves Update Plan renewals?

This is the third thread on this topic. People have already asked -- me included-- but unsurprisingly, companies are going to be careful about letting big information like this leak, so unless you know someone at Waves personally or a vendor who is willing to share what they know, we're left to speculate and there's a lot of speculation going on there. 

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, locrian said:

will not buy any new ones if they're going to expire without a subscription renewal.

Agreed.

[edit] I have to say, as of today,  I love my Waves plugins. Great quailty, all of them. Outstanding sound from all of them. License systems works well. Are there some things I don't like about Waves plugins? Yep, sure is. But none of them are a show stopper. 

If they still sell perpetual licenses after the 26th,  I will still probably buy more of them.

However, if it's sub only, I am outta here. 

Ever since PA started really I pushing thier MegaDeal sub, I have bought very little from them. Very little. Only reason I buy anything from them is I get a perpetual license.

I ain't doing no sub, don't want no sub, ain't down with subs at all. They can take that sub and stick it....

Edited by Grem
  • Like 9

21 minutes ago, Grem said:

I ain't doing no sub, don't want no sub, ain't down with subs at all. They can take that sub and stick it....

That's exactly how I feel. ;)

I have some Waves plugs that I really like, and the only thing that I honestly really dislike about Waves is the one seat activation per license. The "industry standard" is usually for at least two. Since I now store my Waves licenses on a USB stick, they are portable - not as convenient, but not an issue for me.

WUP has always been a la carte, or bundle, and always optional.

• Like 3