This Jealous Heart

Lord Tim

And here's another song from My Whisper, that I produced and did sessions for everything else except guitars, bass and vocals (actually I even snuck in a low harmony vocal in the chorus - shh!). The songwriting, however, is something I sadly can't take any credit for - this is 100% the band, and it's awesome. :) 

The video was a lot of fun too. Basically it's the story of an initial misunderstanding by two people who somehow managed to get it all mixed up further, rather than just sticking their head up from their phones to notice that they were not only both on the same page with how they were feeling, but actually were just missing each other in person too. I'm pretty sure we've all been guilty of something similar!

Filmed on beautiful Sydney Harbour, which we found out on the day that we needed both a filming permit for pro video, and a specific busking permit, even if it's just dragging their guitars out in the vicinity of the Opera House. Whoops! So it was a case of being as stealthy as we could be, looking as much like tourists as possible, and (thankfully) having a cinema camera that looks like any other tourist DSLR/Mirrorless unless you look closer. Run and gun ahoy! HAHA! Came up well, all things considered. Cheers to the security dude who wandered right past us during a take and either didn't realise what we were doing or just let us get away with it! Champion! :D

Anyway, check it out, and if you dig it, give 'em a like on YouTube or grab an album or a stream/download. :) 

Edited by Lord Tim
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Lord Tim said:

So it was a case of being as stealthy as we could be

Guerrilla video, I love it! Never kow tow to the man! 🙃

You and My Whisper have knocked it out of the park again.

Question: Drum VSTi on this one? That snare is outstanding!

t

All righty forumites, we need to give these two some love over at YouTube; I did!

• Like 1

Thank you, sir! :)

Believe it or not, this is all Addictive Drums 2, split to its own discrete tracks and processed separately rather than all in the plugin though. The thing that really makes it work is the combination of reverbs, which I've set up to mimic a small club so you're getting that cool small venue slapback, as well as a longer reverb to add size to it all. Take those off and the snare especially sounds pretty rough!

Honestly, it's probably a *little* stiffer than I'd like for the drums overall, but the guitarist liked the idea of using a few loops in there, so we made the decision of going more "locked in pop" rather than more organic folk/country like on some of the other songs. Works well for the goal for this one though. :)

• Like 1

Hi Tim

Really like the song and the production is excellent. even though i use Superior Drummer, I process our drums in the same way - export individual tracks then process - i do think it's the best way.

And the video brought back memories for me - I used to have an office at Milsons Point many years ago, so spent a great deal of time around the harbour!!

Nigel

• Like 1

Well that was just damn good. Your vocals complement each other. Very polished production.  Everything sits perfectly and its all clear as a bell. Did I say it was damn good? Yeah, I did say it was damn good. Well then the only thing I can add is it was really really really damn good!

• Like 1

Yeah, Juz and Aggii's voices really do complement each other, I agree. It's a funny thing, Juz was always a great songwriter, both when he was in my band in the 90s and his glam/punk band just prior to this, but since he put My Whisper together, his songwriting has just lifted to somewhere else entirely!

It sounds like I'm taking a lot of credit for stuff in the OP for what I did with the song, but the reality is that I really just did embellishment of an already great song - strip that back to just the 2 of them as an acoustic duo and it's already excellent.

Did I mention I'm fan? HAHA!

The acoustic guitar was actually pretty easy to achieve - it was a cheap Cort guitar (believe it or not!) with a small diaphragm condenser pointed at around 12th fret, about a  hand's length away from the guitar. No EQ or anything on the way in, but it was a fairly dead acoustically treated room. Once in, I rolled a lot of low off, compressed it fairly hard using the CA-2A compressor, and then added a little bit of reverb, and chorus'd slapback. And that's it :) 

In the mix, we did double it up for a lot of the song, and for the bigger parts (choruses, middle-8, etc.) we mirrored the acoustic with a strat in the middle+neck position, and that was running through a Fender Blackface ampsim with a fair wad of chorus on it.

Fairly simple stuff, but it had to be to keep the integrity of the "this is an acoustic duo" vibe there, even with all of the stuff I snuck onto it later... HAHA!

• Thanks 1