Loudness matching - Potentially class leading feature idea for CbB

Mannymac

Dear CbB team and users,

I love the DAW we have now and really don't long for new features - despite one that I think would be extremely innovative.

One of the things that constantly can fool us mixers is loudness..nothing new here. But how cool would it be if CbB could at the click of a button compensate for the loudness in a processing chain?

CbB already has the great disable all FX  button for each track. What I would like to see is another button next to it that can turn loudness comparison on and off. So if you want your track to be louder as a result of your processing you can do that. But if for instance you want your initial fader mix to persist and don't compensate for added loudness via plugins this thing could be a great innovation.

And it already exists, albeit in plugin form:

https://www.tb-software.com/TBProAudio/ab_lm.html

https://www.meterplugs.com/perception

I'm using this for my mixes at the start and end of every plugin chain I have. It has drastically improved my mixing decisions.

This would be truly forward thinking. If many of you like this please comment here and get a discussion going to show Noel and team that his would be a great feature. I would be over the moon. And I think the mixing community would look at this DAW and think: Wow, this is really smart, why doesn't my DAW have that?

Edited by Mannymac

So basically a Auto Make-up Gain button but for every plugin on the chain? 😍

I love the idea but I wonder if this should be plugin specific. I use a few compressors that do offer an Auto MakeUp feature. I suppose it could be placed on CbB's EQ, Compressors and so on. Or something.

I have often wished some plugins would have automatic loudness compensation in place of a manual make-up gain. I haven't checked the plugins you mentioned, but it seems like it would require a pretty big lookahead buffer to do the job properly - meaning a lot of plugin delay - but at the mixing stage, that shouldn't be a problem.