[Confirmed bug report & To be solved(?)]PC2ALevelingAmplifier_64.dll wasn't installed correctly.

Kinn2021

2023/12/6 A retrospective.

Since the post was shared and applied to related issues, I have recorded the following at the top. If you're impatient, just look here. However, this method will not solve the problem completely, and you will need to do it again when you reinstall the Cakewalk.

[The simple repair method]

1. Click the PC2ALevelingAmplifier_64.dll download link (the link is from the support team)

2. Move the PC2ALevelingAmplifier_64.dll to :\Cakewalk\Shared Utilities\Internal\PC2ALevelingAmplifier.

If you have the patience, please read the main text. As of now, I don't know if the issue has been fixed.

[The Main Text]

The bug has been confirmed by @Kinn2021 and can be reproduced stably.

When running CakewalkSetup.exe, select English to download and install PC2ALevelingAmplifier_64.dll and PC2ALevelingAmplifier.chm (PC2A Leveler) properly. If you select Chinese, PC2ALevelingAmplifier_64.dll and PC2ALevelingAmplifier.chm will not be downloaded and installed properly. (I didn't test for languages other than Chinese and English. But I don't rule out the possibility that this bug also applies to other languages.)

[The Old Main Text]

As the title suggests, the PC2A Leveler cannot be found in Cakewalk. After checking, I found that PC2ALevelingAmplifier_64.dll, which should be stored in :\Cakewalk\Shared Utilities\Internal\PC2ALevelingAmplifier, is missing.

PC2A Leveler used to be a paid feature of ProChannel in Sonar, but BandLab later added it to Cakewalk for free. Unfortunately, I have not been able to install PC2A Leveler successfully since the beginning.

As of now, I have tried the following solutions, but none of them work.

- Run VST Reset from Preferences
- Clean installation of Cakewalk (all antivirus software is disabled)
- Replace other computers (Windows 10 and Windows 11 )
- Rollback old installer (from the first version of PC2A Leveler announced by BandLab)

I contacted the support team via email and received a copy of PC2ALevelingAmplifier_64.dll. I placed it under the corresponding file path and the problem was solved immediately. But it's temporary. If you reinstall Cakewalk, the problem will still exist.

I don't know if anyone else is experiencing the same problem. I prefer to think that there may be a problem in the Cakewalk installer itself. But some people do have PC2A Leveler. Perhaps it was previously purchased from Sonar and then upgraded to Cakewalk by BandLab and retained. If you install Cakewalk by BandLab separately, do you still have PC2A Leveler?

Special Thanks (Sort by reply time.)

- @hadada

- @msmcleod

- @In A Week

Edited by Kinn2021
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, hadada said:

Same problem here, I don't have it too, Maybe its installation stopped by something. Could you share that .dll.

Thank you for your reply.

Due to copyright protection, I cannot share the dll with you myself, but I can share the download link that the support team gave me.

Incidentally, do you know how to give effective feedback?

All along, the support team just let me clean install Cakewalk. but I think this is actually a bug in Cakewalk itself.

Edited by Kinn2021
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Kinn2021 said:

Thank you for your reply.

Due to copyright protection, I cannot share the dll with you myself, but I can share the download link that the support team gave me.

Incidentally, do you know how to give effective feedback?

All along, the support team just let me clean install Cakewalk. but I think this is actually a bug in Cakewalk itself.

Thanks, I think the staff can see it when you post here. Maybe because I didn't run installer in English. forum link

• Like 2

On 3/24/2023 at 8:07 PM, hadada said:

Thanks, I think the staff can see it when you post here. Maybe because I didn't run installer in English. forum link

I take back my words. You inadvertently told me the right reason! Thank you so much!

[The old reply]

The post is too old and has been closed for me to reply.

Until now, Cakewalk has been updated for several versions, but the problem persists.

Incidentally, I didn't run the installer in English either, but I don't think that's the problem.

Edited by Kinn2021

One thing I know that can cause problems with the built-in ProChannel modules is if the directory is compressed.

Check if   C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Shared Utilities\Internal   is compressed or not, and if it is mark it as uncompressed, ensuring it also applies to the subfolders.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, msmcleod said:

One thing I know that can cause problems with the built-in ProChannel modules is if the directory is compressed.

Check if   C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Shared Utilities\Internal   is compressed or not, and if it is mark it as uncompressed, ensuring it also applies to the subfolders.

Hey! Thanks for your reply! You brought up a possibility that I never considered.
But unfortunately, I checked the file directories and there are no folders that are compressed.

In fact, in :\Cakewalk\Shared Utilities\Internal\ we have "PC2ALevelingAmplifier", "StBoost", "StPX64", "StTL64", "StVX64", and many other folders. Almost all of them contain a "Resources" folder and a .dll, but in the "PC2ALevelingAmplifier" folder, I only have a "Resources" folder (which contains some bmp files related to PC2A Leveler), and the .dll is missing.

I think the installer must have tried to install the program, but for unknown reasons it didn't work, or the "PC2ALevelingAmplifier_64.dll" was not properly included in the installer.

@Kinn2021 -  two other possibilities:

1. What anti-virus program are you using?  There's a possibility it could be picking it up as a false positive and removing it.  Try adding Cakewalk's folders (and especially your Cakewalk Project folders) to the exclude list.

2.  Do you  have OneDrive running?  I've seen OneDrive get very confused and try to revert some folders to a previous state.  Personally I've disabled OneDrive, but alternatively you can tell OneDrive to exclude directories.  I'd advise excluding Cakewalk's folders, and especially your Cakewalk Project folders to the exclude list. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, msmcleod said:

@Kinn2021 -  two other possibilities:

1. What anti-virus program are you using?  There's a possibility it could be picking it up as a false positive and removing it.  Try adding Cakewalk's folders (and especially your Cakewalk Project folders) to the exclude list.

2.  Do you  have OneDrive running?  I've seen OneDrive get very confused and try to revert some folders to a previous state.  Personally I've disabled OneDrive, but alternatively you can tell OneDrive to exclude directories.  I'd advise excluding Cakewalk's folders, and especially your Cakewalk Project folders to the exclude list. 

@msmcleod - my anwsers:

1. Only Windows Defender. I turned off Windows Defender while downloading and installing Cakewalk and no files were deleted as viruses. And after I put in PC2ALevelingAmplifier_64.dll by myself, everything works fine.

2. No. I have never used OneDrive.

@msmcleod - Hello, here are my additions.

1. I contacted some other users (in the same country as me) and they all had the same problem, is it possible that the file download was interrupted due to the network environment in different countries? I'm pretty sure the problem isn't just happening to me. (But when I use VPN to download and install, the problem remains the same.)

2. Can I ask stuff to personally clean install Cakewalk to debug it?

Edited by Kinn2021

Hello,
I had the same issue about a year ago and I did find a solution, I didn't know others were facing similar issues until @Kinn2021  pinged me here, thanks for that btw.

What I did was do a completely clean re-install of Cakewalk which means I also had to manually delete all the remaining registry keys left in the windows registry after I had uninstalled Cakewalk and all of it's addons. After doing that and reinstalling Cakewalk all the missing files for the prochannel modules appeared back.
I don't why Cakewalk wouldn't install those missing files if those registry keys weren't deleted after uninstalling Cakewalk but that's what solved it for me.

(I didn't have to delete any of the personal stuff like projects, personal templates, workspaces, theme files and all that, if anyone is wondering, I just copied them to a separate location like the Desktop and after reinstalling just put them back in their correct locations)

Edited by In A Week
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, In A Week said:

Hello,
I had the same issue about a year ago and I did find a solution, I didn't know others were facing similar issues until 
@Kinn2021  pinged me here, thanks for that btw.

What I did was do a completely clean re-install of Cakewalk which means I also had to manually delete all the remaining registry keys left in the windows registry after I had uninstalled Cakewalk and all of it's addons. After doing that and reinstalling Cakewalk all the missing files for the prochannel modules appeared back.
I don't why Cakewalk wouldn't install those missing files if those registry keys weren't deleted after uninstalling Cakewalk but that's what solved it for me.

(I didn't have to delete any of the personal stuff like projects, personal templates, workspaces, theme files and all that, if anyone is wondering, I just copied them to a separate location like the Desktop and after reinstalling just put them back in their correct locations)

Hey! @In A Week Thanks for getting back to me! Just now, I found the real cause of the problem! I'll explain it in detail in the main text.

• Kinn2021 changed the title to [Confirmed bug report & To be solved(?)]PC2ALevelingAmplifier_64.dll wasn't installed correctly.