Irlene - FINISHED!

Barry Seymour

I'm back with another Sunstone jam. More horn players, and I arranged the horns!
Barry Seymour - Vocals, guitar, songwriter, arranger
Jack Hill  - Bass
Steve Klenke - 1st Trumpet, Pseudo-bone
Tom Berryman - 2nd Trumpet
Dan Bob Jones - Alto Sax

Here's the final video!

Edited by Barry Seymour
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, RikF said:

Hi Barry , funky tune, liked it, good vocals but on my  end it sounds like there's to much effects on the vocals while the instruments sounds overly dry imho.

Rik

Thanks for the feedback, this is what I was hoping for. My ears are stale after working on this for so long.

Whole lot of things to compliment here Barry.
As always, your storytelling is top shelf.
Much impressed with the horn arrangement; very nice.

What's the fx chain on the vocal? Is the "phasing" I'm hearing on purpose?
(or is it my knackered ears? yikes!)

12 hours ago, Barry Seymour said:

working on mixing this so it sounds like all the musicians are in the same room

Not to send you off on a buying spree, but I've had pretty good luck with IKM's Sunset Studio.
I usually set one up on an aux buss for the guitars and another aux buss for the drums.
If you're tempted, WAIT; IKM runs sales all the time.....

👍's 👏

t

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DeeringAmps said:

Whole lot of things to compliment here Barry.
As always, your storytelling is top shelf.
Much impressed with the horn arrangement; very nice.

What's the fx chain on the vocal? Is the "phasing" I'm hearing on purpose?
(or is it my knackered ears? yikes!)

Not to send you off on a buying spree, but I've had pretty good luck with IKM's Sunset Studio.
I usually set one up on an aux buss for the guitars and another aux buss for the drums.
If you're tempted, WAIT; IKM runs sales all the time.....

👍's 👏

t

I added a vocal muliplier on that channel - Acon Digital Multiply. But I think it's a bit much, so in my next mix I'll be backing that off.

Thanks!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AndyB01 said:

Definitely a bit of phasing on the vocals but - with a groove like that - who cares. 😄

Lots to enjoy here.

Andy

It was on purpose - Acor Digital Multiply - but I'll be backing that off. As mentioned above, trying to make it sound like everyone's in the same room.

15 hours ago, Barry Seymour said:

trying to make it sound like everyone's in the same room.

+1 on DeeringAmps suggestion for Sunset Studio, you can use the Live Rooms or Chambers to put all the players in the same space.   Cool video on this topic -

Your song is really good, well produced and superb groove.     Agree the vocal effect is a little phasey, would definitely back that effect off.  Nice listen.

Regards

• Like 2

8 hours ago, markno999 said:

+1 on DeeringAmps suggestion for Sunset Studio, you can use the Live Rooms or Chambers to put all the players in the same space. 

Your song is really good, well produced and superb groove.     Agree the vocal effect is a little phasey, would definitely back that effect off.  Nice listen.

Regards

I get the concept, but didn't get too far through this as it wasn't Cakewalk. I can create reverb on the master bus, but am unsure of how to set separate pre-delays for each channel. I'm gonna play around with this tonight. Thank you!

Here's a new mix.

• Reduced or eliminated phasing effect on all vocals
  • Set up a single "Global Reverb" bus and routed everything through it (except for I.R.L.E.N.E)
  • Boosted the rhythm guitars and the voice

I think this one is getting close.

https://soundcloud.com/barry-seymour/irlene-20230323?si=5404bf6681f64d4593c7e2490ac5f7d5&utm_source=clipboard&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=social_sharing

Wow, this is good!  To me, it has a Steely Dan/Donald Fagen type of story and vibe, but you've always had a knack for stories yourself, and this is all you.  The second version is a big improvement overall and is close to stellar.  Though panned well, I still hear it as being a bit narrow or center-centric.  Perhaps if the guitars in the side channels were a touch louder to compete with the excellent horns.  Btw, at 3:08 there sounds, to me, a trumpet slightly out of tune which could be tightened up with Melodyne or similar app, unless that's by design.  Either way, refer back to my first sentence ;)  Good songwriting!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lynn Wilson said:

Wow, this is good!  To me, it has a Steely Dan/Donald Fagen type of story and vibe, but you've always had a knack for stories yourself, and this is all you.  The second version is a big improvement overall and is close to stellar.  Though panned well, I still hear it as being a bit narrow or center-centric.  Perhaps if the guitars in the side channels were a touch louder to compete with the excellent horns.  Btw, at 3:08 there sounds, to me, a trumpet slightly out of tune which could be tightened up with Melodyne or similar app, unless that's by design.  Either way, refer back to my first sentence ;)  Good songwriting!

Dang! You have a real ear for detail! You're right, at 3:08 Trumpet 1 had a clunker I missed. I copied another lick to fix it.

I already boosted the rhythm guitars - maybe a bit more...

Thanks for the feedback and the kind words.

Edited by Barry Seymour
  • Like 1

It's coming together nicely Barry. Sounds like you're doing one more mix.

I would suggest when you post it:
   1) Edit the title to the thread to reflect that there is a new mix.
   2) Put the new link in the opening post so people find it. (I would also put the new link in a fresh post, like you did with 03.23
just my nickel98, too often those who have already listened and reviewed don't go back to the thread if there is nothing new noted in the title...

t

Edited by DeeringAmps

Really well done, great song, great arrangement, love the vocals and the horns are very cool, all the instruments sound great and the story is timely and clever. As for any nitpicking, the body odor lady comes in a little louder than its surroundings when she comes in.  I enjoy that addition, I just would turn it down a bit. Around 3:10 something with the horns sounds a little off, not sure if this is what you fixed after Lynn’s comment or if it is what he heard? I clicked on the version in your Thurdsay 10:26 post. Really very good song !

• Like 1