Is Waves going "Subscription"?

cclarry

11 minutes ago, Johnbee58 said:

Does "In House" mean that we will no longer be able to purchase them through retailers line Sweetwater?

That really remains to be seen. That's kinda where all of us are, questioning the "what ifs". 

I can make the assumption that because this change will not effect current users,  that there is no need to explain anything. And it ends there.

We can speculate after that all we want!! :)

Edited by Grem
  • Like 1

Despite the uncertainty of everything, and the fact that I have largely crossed Waves off of my buy list, I still ended up buying the Abbey Road Saturator yesterday from EveryPlugin It was only $25.99 USD and it just seemed to (and does) have a sound to it that I love (yes, I am in love with all things Beatles, George Martin and Abbey Road sound-wise ). I did PM a fellow forum member / friend who owns it who told me is very good for getting that sound. After using it (yes, I completely forgot to do a trial and skipped right to the purchase after the recommendation), I'm very happy with the plugin and do find that my Abbey Road plugins are probably the only Waves plugins I would absolutely be willing to pay WUP for if they ever stop working. Otherwise, like everyone else here who is wondering and/or speculating about what's going on with Waves, I 'm very curious too and don't think it's an ideal time to buy their plugins -- but  who knows?  That said, I consider my risk was pretty small at $25.99 USD and after playing around with AR Saturator, I'm very happy with it. Thanks for the insights, @cclarry.

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 2

Just got off the phone with Sales Engineer Mark Brun of Sweetwater.  He said he has heard nothing of the kind that Waves was going to do this.  But I've dealt with businesses of all kinds (including the outfit I used to work for) that say one thing one day and the next day that all goes out the window.  Mr. Brun also said something that warrants pondering.  If this is supposed to happen in a few days (3/26/23) you would think that they would've put up public notice (via their website) long ago.  I DO remember getting an email back in January that  said all  licenses for their product must be registered by March 26 in order to continue to be operational.

March 26 is this coming Sunday.  Not much longer to wait. 

😀John B

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Eusebio Rufian-Zilbermann said:

now "fighting" this practice?

Maybe the best explanation yet. 

4 hours ago, Johnbee58 said:

getting an email back in January that  said all  licenses for their product must be registered by March 26 in order to continue to be operational.

I think what it said, iirc, is that the serial numbers obtained before 26Mar23 must be registered by the 26 for that number to be used. After that date that number would no long be able to be registered with the new system coming on line.

8 minutes ago, Last Call said:

Is this the end of freebies?

I was hoping they gave away eventually the SSL console, or any console 😇

Can't imagine it being the end of freebies.  What better way to hook us into getting WUP'd.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Brian Walton said:

Did you grab the Plugin Alliance Focusrite console for free when they had the soundwide intro bundle?

Yes, love, thanks, but for some reason my soul wants an SSL or something, like the AMEK.
Then there's Analog Obsession's own console plugin.

As everyone, I love having lots of plugins, lol.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Last Call said:

Yes, love, thanks, but for some reason my soul wants an SSL or something, like the AMEK.
Then there's Analog Obsession's own console plugin.

As everyone, I love having lots of plugins, lol.

I have all the PA ones and only use the Amek anymore (the Waves SSL got replaced by the PA one years ago).  But the Amek has been on sale for $25 or less with vouchers and sales  so at this point it isn't exactly unobtanium.  I even bought more than one licence to go beyond 3 installs.  

Sadly one has to WUP to even transfer a WAVES seat which I'll never do.

Edited by Brian Walton
  • Like 1

I guess WUP would be handy if you ever needed tech support or a bugfix for compatibility. New features are rare, but the resizable UI and preset browser was added a few versions back. That was the only time I ever paid to update WUP.

47 minutes ago, Doug Steinschneider said:

I think this is a good place to ask a question I've wondered for years. I've never WUP'd my Abbey Road Collection (v12) and some older classic waves plugins I bought more recently like Rennaissance Bass (v14).  What scenarios would cause me to need to update?

Thanks,

Doug

I'm in the same boat with maybe 7or 8 older v9,10 plug ins that I have never WUP'd (and use on a PC with Cakewalk) but I just bought the Renaissance bundle as v14 to use on my new Mac mini M1 with Logic (which I am really liking). I've been waiting for the annual 25% off WUP sale so I could upgrade a few of the older plugs (like AR Chambers, L2) to work on the M1 Mac.  

That's my scenario for finally thinking about an update.  But now with whatever new policy they have I'm just watching along to see what will happen.  I figure worst case I can always buy the 2 or 3 old plug ins again in the latest version on a sale for my Mac and it is close to a wash with the WUP price.  

I have plugins that need to be WUP'd as well.  I just hope we're not missing out on a great opportunity to get cheaper WUP updates while we still can from places like EveryPlugin.com.

Whatever comes after March 26th, I just hope it's good news all around.

I’m getting the worst ever support from Waves. Obviously different support guys jumping in and out, sometimes suggesting something, other times not even looking at the problem. Dang, this is a hell of a company. And I’m not being positive. Wish I could WOOP their arses. 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Fleer said:

I’m getting the worst ever support from Waves. Obviously different support guys jumping in and out, sometimes suggesting something, other times not even looking at the problem. Dang, this is a hell of a company. And I’m not being positive. Wish I could WOOP their arses. 

Spelling error - it's WUP their arses 🤪

• Great Idea 1
  • Haha 2