Is Waves going "Subscription"?

cclarry

Best Service email states this:

Bye Bye Waves!

To our great regret, Waves announced that as of March 26th, perpetual licenses for single plug-ins and plug-in bundles will no longer be available (Live Applications excluded).

We are clearing our license stock!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Great Idea 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

..and if they do, what will happen to WUP?  Will there be a deadline to WUP to the latest version before it goes away and your left with only a subscription option for updates?

Edited by Fwrend
  • Like 2

Ah, so that announcement better explains the whole strange Waves announcement about serials from resellers no longer being accepted by Waves later this month. My guess is, if Waves moves exclusively to a subscription-only model that it likely won't do as well as they need it to do and will end up going back to offering a mixed model (subscription and perpetual licenses for individual plugins).  However, the above announcement is another reason I don't feel very comfortable purchasing more Waves plugins. Especially when there are so many excellent developers that make similar plugins who have been selling them for similarly low prices to Waves always on sale prices. Except for the Abbey Road plugins, I really don't have Waves in my consideration set anymore and this announcement has stopped my desire to pick up more Abbey Road plugins. I was contemplating picking up the Abbey Road saturation plugin on the current sale, but not after this news. 

I empathize with developers desiring the kind of reliable recurring revenue that the subscription model provides. I think Waves WUP was already their twist on the subscription model -- trying to rope existing customers into paying recurring fees -- and for this hobbyist musician, it's just not for me. With Plugin Alliance, Softube, Izotope, Sonnible/Focusrite, AudioThing and a bunch of other high quality developers who have sales where their plugins are very affordable, there's really no need for me to turn to a subscription model. Thanks Waves, we had a nice run, but I've moved on.  

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 5

You can grab Waves licenses at lowest prices at bestervice https://www.bestservice.com/en/deals/waves_flashsale_lowest_prices_ever_4875.html

Note, that all licenses must be registered with Waves no later than March 26th. Of course, all perpetual licenses registered this week and before, stay permanently valid.

Edited by ProducerSpot
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, cclarry said:

THAT would be a HUGE mistake on Waves part...but, then again, it's Waves

Unfortunately stuffed shirts make decisions by looking at a spread sheet.  They are rarely users or knowledgeable of their products.  This is nothing new under the sun. This also helps smaller developers gain more market if they avoid such nonsense.

If the sub model becomes a norm there will also be those who go against it.  I remember the iLok craze at the turn of the century which developers used to lock down their stuff.  It didn't take IK long to ditch that.   We fail to see that many developers have a sub model and it's been around for a long time. They don't throw it your face. 

Some may like a Waves sub since they have a zillion plugins and if the price is right.   What worked for Adobe is the price of PhotoShop and Lightroom were affordable to the average consumer and more people like to edit photos than use DAWs.   This is what the stuffed shirts don't get.   The DAW market is far more competitive then it ever was.  

Plus DAW developers are also making top notch plugins that come in their DAWs.  

This will take the hobbyist out of the picture. 

I engaged Waves support in a chat session a half-hour ago and asked this question. He did ask what was my source of this and I provided a link to Best Service's newsletter I received (as most of you probably did.) He was unable to directly answer and pointed me to a link to ask Sales. I did, and I am waiting on an answer.

I avoid subscription-only. I don't view WUP as subscription; I've had my bundle a year and a half past its upgrade expiration date -- the plugins are as useful to me today as when I purchased them. Interestingly enough, though, I'm about to upgrade my bundle which will add a few plugins, but extend WUP for the entire collection for an additional year at a price less than WUP upgrade alone. I am happy to pay that.

1 minute ago, John1984 said:

I engaged Waves support in a chat session a half-hour ago and asked this question. He did ask what was my source of this and I provided a link to Best Service's newsletter I received (as most of you probably did.) He was unable to directly answer and pointed me to a link to ask Sales. I did, and I am waiting on an answer.

I avoid subscription-only. I don't view WUP as subscription; I've had my bundle a year and a half past its upgrade expiration date -- the plugins are as useful to me today as when I purchased them. Interestingly enough, though, I'm about to upgrade my bundle which will add a few plugins, but extend WUP for the entire collection for an additional year at a price less than WUP upgrade alone. I am happy to pay that.

I guess a vendor gave out false info.

Unfortunately I think some vendors will suffer whose main sales are Waves like EveryPlugin. 

6 minutes ago, lawajava said:

was able to get Mercury and actually all their bundles from EveryPlugin at an incredibly low price.

Me too. Sure was a nice run.

Here we are complaining and moaning about a sub plan, but what if it is at good price?

Hey I can dream if I wanna!!

LOL :)

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Grem said:

Here we are complaining and moaning about a sub plan, but what if it is at good price?

But if it is exclusively a sub like Adobe has, without any perpetual licenses, you would lose the use of your software authorizations if you stop paying for the sub.

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

6 minutes ago, cclarry said:

If they are going "Sub" exclusively that is the final nail in their coffin

As kite said...

1 hour ago, kitekrazy said:

This will take the hobbyist out of the picture. 

Is their pro market large enough to carry Waves?

13 minutes ago, abacab said:

lose the use of your software authorizations if you stop paying for the sub.

That's the deal breaker.

9 minutes ago, cclarry said:

If they are going "Sub" exclusively that is the final nail in their coffin

Yep. For me at least.

2 minutes ago, abacab said:

pro market large enough to carry Waves?

If it was, why did they invent the "$29 plugin?"

My point being is, I don't think it is.

• Like 4