A minor nuisance

Ashra67

Question

Anyone know why it's necessary that I turn on my keyboard midi instrument before starting Cakewalk? If I do it the opposite way, Cakewalk then instrument, I am unable to hear the instrument and there is no midi activity. It's a Yamaha USB midi connection. Windows 10. I have searched online, but have found nothing related to this. Is this just how it works? Thanks!

8 answers to this question

6 minutes ago, Ashra67 said:

Anyone know why it's necessary that I turn on my keyboard midi instrument before starting Cakewalk? If I do it the opposite way, Cakewalk then instrument, I am unable to hear the instrument and there is no midi activity. It's a Yamaha USB midi connection. Windows 10. I have searched online, but have found nothing related to this. Is this just how it works? Thanks!

I believe the reason is that CW needs to "read" the midi device on startup, and can´t do it after that.

But I'm not aware of the technical reason behind.

• Thanks 1

Actually if you have installed the proper midi driver from Yamaha it should work.
I find generic midi drivers can’t be used after Cakewalk is open. But for me my Roland and Yamaha devices both have supplied midi drivers and both can be turned on with Cakewalk running. It just asks me if I want to use the device.  I then might have to make sure it is checked in preferences/ midi/ devices 

It’s not a issue generally because my controller is USB powered and it’s always connected. 

Edited by John Vere
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I find that USB midi devices tend to be this way. I always make sure any USB devices are turned on before Cakewalk. The same thing happens with my USB Audio Interface.

Having said that: Having A minor nuisance is better than having it turn out to B Major. That would be a sharp experience.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, rfssongs said:

A minor nuisance is better than having it turn out to B Major. That would be a sharp experience.

51 minutes ago, Canopus said:

True. However, accidentals may happen.

We need more options for the "Like" button.

15 hours ago, Ashra67 said:

Anyone know why it's necessary that I turn on my keyboard midi instrument before starting Cakewalk?

Because otherwise Cakewalk would have to poll the hardware every few seconds or so..

Any hardware changes...?

Pause

Any hardware changes...?

Pause

Any hardware changes...?

Pause

etc.

It wastes CPU cycles and adds to the complexity of the program.

I

• Like 1