Larry T.

Hi all. This is called Trust, instrumental as usual. If I had to pick a genre guess it would be Alternative. All critiques, compliments and questions welcomed. Cheers 🎶🎶🎶🎶

link: https://larryterrano.bandcamp.com/track/trust

trust3.jpg

DAW: Cakewalk by Bandlab

pc: windows 10, i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40 GHz, 8GB ram, acoustic and electric guitars, harmonica, focusrite scarlett solo, arturia minilab mkII, arturia analog lab 5 lite, CbB effects

reference speakers: M-Audio BX3

Edited by Larry T.
  • Like 3

The mood change was unexpected, from pretty and floaty to something bit darker and back to pretty. I don’t have a perfect listening environment, for me the bass was a teeny bit distorted in contrast to how clean the other instruments sound. I like the instrumentation and tempo. Nice journey, Enjoyed it !

• Thanks 1

On 3/21/2023 at 2:58 AM, Bajan Blue said:

the cymbals that I feel sound a bit splashy

Sometimes that's too much gain at the limiting stage.
I don't know what you're mastering with, but I find Ozone, when left to its own devices, will "push" the make up gain in the limiter
way (IMHO) too much.
Lately I've been using the Lurssen Mastering Console for the gain and FabFilter L2 to limit; adding very little gain on the FF L2.

Again, I don't know what your mastering chain is or the Drum VSTi you're using; but something to look at...

t

oh and 👍's

• Thanks 1

On 3/19/2023 at 6:37 PM, treesha said:

The mood change was unexpected, from pretty and floaty to something bit darker and back to pretty. I don’t have a perfect listening environment, for me the bass was a teeny bit distorted in contrast to how clean the other instruments sound. I like the instrumentation and tempo. Nice journey, Enjoyed it !

Thanks treesha. Yes, the song doesn't stay light all the way through, I was trying to reflect the ups and downs of trust....I really didn't think a light feeling all the way through was an honest take on the reality most of us go through in matters of trust lol! You are correct about the bass, for some reason I couldn't get as clean a tone on it as usual. I may redo it using the SI Bass. Appreciate the kind comments 🎶🎹🎻🎶

On 3/21/2023 at 2:58 AM, Bajan Blue said:

Hi Larry

I like this - my only things are the cymbals that I feel sound a bit splashy and perhaps the bass sounds a little boxy

Apart from those two minor things, really enjoyed this

Nigel

Thanks Nigel. You commented on the two things I knew needed more work, the cymbals and bass. The cymbals are part of a loop from SI Drums that sounded good on half the music systems I listened on and a bit loud/splashy on the other half. All I needed to do was adjust the velocity in the Piano Roll on them but I thought I was being too picky. The bass sound is the same situation, for some reason I couldn't get a clean tone. As I mentioned to treesha in the above post I may redo it using SI Bass. Thanks for listening and comments 🎶🎸🔊🎹

4 hours ago, DeeringAmps said:

Sometimes that's too much gain at the limiting stage.
I don't know what you're mastering with, but I find Ozone, when left to its own devices, will "push" the make up gain in the limiter
way (IMHO) too much.
Lately I've been using the Lurssen Mastering Console for the gain and FabFilter L2 to limit; adding very little gain on the FF L2.

Again, I don't know what your mastering chain is or the Drum VSTi you're using; but something to look at...

t

oh and 👍's

Thanks tom. Yeah, I should have brought the cymbal midi velocity notes in Piano Roll down a bit. As far as mastering I'm really not. I just keep the recording levels above -6 with no red distortion and run aux tracks in console view to make volume and tone adjustments. This usually works but not always (the bass could have a clearer, cleaner tone). The drums in the song are from three different SI Drums loops that I luckily didn't have to modify. Appreciate the info and kind words 🎶🎹🔊🎶

• Like 1

Airy and light. I agree with some of the critique above. Another thing I would consider is the snare skip at the beginning while the harmonica is playing relaxed sustained notes. I would either lose the skip or slow it down a quarter/eighth beat.  Just a tad too quick in my mind. Needs more tweaking, as you say, but a good start, Larry.  With all that said, I don't "TRUST" my ears sometimes. That's why I'm here. Plus, I like hearing what other people are doing and perhaps learn a few things along the way.

Dean.

• Thanks 1

On 3/22/2023 at 2:40 PM, DeeringAmps said:

Every VSTi has its "quirks" on at the 127 mark.

t

Yes, I thought the velocity/volume went up, like, exponentially, once I maxed it at 127. When I'm in "that" place in the mix where I'm trying to find the right volume for an instrument at a certain moment I've found that in SI Drums I can increase the volume of a midi note by simply creating an exact copy of the note and selecting/move it on top of the existing midi note. Quite amazing, really. Shows how much thought went into giving us the ability to make some really minute adjustments.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, RikF said:

Hi Larry, nice relaxing tune, would love to hear the harmonica again, after 2:30 imho.

Rik

Thanks Rik. That's a good idea. I wanted to insert the harp again but couldn't find a spot and then totally forgot about it. Maybe I can make a fit for it after the 2:30 point 🎶🎶🎶🎶

1 hour ago, FreeEarCandy said:

Airy and light. I agree with some of the critique above. Another thing I would consider is the snare skip at the beginning while the harmonica is playing relaxed sustained notes. I would either lose the skip or slow it down a quarter/eighth beat.  Just a tad too quick in my mind. Needs more tweaking, as you say, but a good start, Larry.  With all that said, I don't "TRUST" my ears sometimes. That's why I'm here. Plus, I like hearing what other people are doing and perhaps learn a few things along the way.

Dean.

Thanks Dean. Yeah, I was trying to keep the tempo/momentum going as most of my stuff is a lot slower. Trying to do some faster/upbeat things now.

In reference to what you said about hearing, I've come to realize that I have to consciously alter the way I listen to music when I'm mixing. I don't listen to be entertained but to get the sounds across as clear, balanced for maximum effect and precise as I can. Also, to understand that the listener doesn't have my preconceived audio picture of what they are supposed to hear. Cheers! 🎶🥁🔊🎶

• Like 1

Larry, really lovely piece, very much enjoyed the flow. Very contemplative piece (if thatseven a word). I'm not listening on the best device so I guess I didn't hear any of the other flaws folks pointed out, either that or you've already fixed them. I thought the cymbals and bass sounded just fine.

• Thanks 1

Larry, to my mind the drums stood out a bit too much at the beginning.
I didn't think the bass was all that distorted, but the level could be turned down.
The note bending strings around 1:25 is really cool. I think you could develop that section more.
I agree with RikF - more harmonica!
Seems like my mood always improves after listening to your songs!
-Bjorn

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Kevin Walsh said:

Larry, really lovely piece, very much enjoyed the flow. Very contemplative piece (if thatseven a word). I'm not listening on the best device so I guess I didn't hear any of the other flaws folks pointed out, either that or you've already fixed them. I thought the cymbals and bass sounded just fine.

Thanks Kevin. Appreciate the listen and kind words. Haven't updated the tune yet, working on finishing the latest one. Cheers! 🎶🔊🔊🎶