Just found out I was dead

Rain

Had to call Apple this morning, because of a problem with my new Apple Card. After issuing said card, they ran a check and found out that according to public records... I am deceased.

Apparently, I died on October 8th 2020.

I finally got to use the old quote and tell the Apple employee that the reports of my death had been greatly exagerated. And Eleonora (of all the possible names!) the Apple supervisor said I made her day. Apparently she’d never heard of someone being so amused to find out that they were dead.

Then suddenly I had a hunch...

When I was in college back home, I met this other guy with the same name, same date of birth, living on the same street - I lived at 390, he lived at 330. He was from a different  little town but had come to my hometown to study black and white photography. The college administration gave me the middle initial A to differentiate us, and he was given J.

We realized we shared the same birth date because we ran into issues when it came time to vote.

Although we weren’t close friends, he became a regular at the bar where I worked, and we got along great. We shared many similar musical tastes, although his were rooted in punk, and he was little more extreme than I was at times. He always wore a leather jacket with “Alice Donut” painted in the back.

We also shared a general interest in arts and literature.

Just a few years ago, he contacted me via Facebook because my financial institution had called him by error while trying to reach me. And they kept making that same error.

That was the last time we spoke. Turns out, he is the one who died on October 8th 2020, at the age of 48 in his little hometown after a brief struggle with a disease.

It was quite a shock to read that.

I'm not sure how we got mixed up again, considering that he was living in a different country and all, but I'm glad it's sorted out - although it's very sad to learn that my old pal is gone.

Edited by Rain

3 hours ago, Rain said:

Well, technically, I did die for a bit in 2017, but they brought me back. 

So I never got my death certificate - a shame, if you ask me. Would look great on the studio wall.

Rain,

it's good to see that you're still on this planet and so relaxed in the face of death.
Anyone who can be so relaxed about death will also lead a very relaxed life or at least enjoy every day, right?

I do like your way of thinking about life and dead.

3 hours ago, Pragi said:

Rain,

it's good to see that you're still on this planet and so relaxed in the face of death.
Anyone who can be so relaxed about death will also lead a very relaxed life or at least enjoy every day, right?

I do like your way of thinking about life and dead.

Thank you! I sincerely appreciate.

I know it can make some people uncomfortable too, and I usually try to be mindful, but that's just the way I grew up. 

I'm actually working on a book about it because people have been encouraging me to do so for years - apparently, it can help them process things and find perspective on thir own mortality.  So if it can at least be useful for that - if I manage to finish it, anyway.

But thank, really.

• Like 3

I just went over to my U tube page to see how my new Jazz Guitar video is doing ....

I guesse I'm not as popular as I thought I was since I  just found out that I 'm only a breath or two away from being dead .

Oh Seven of Nine!!!  where ever thou art in this Infinite Universe ...Please answer my humble plea and Assimilate Me ....

Kenny

Edited by kennywtelejazz
  • Haha 4

On 3/18/2023 at 3:03 PM, kennywtelejazz said:

Oh Seven of Nine!!! 

On 3/20/2023 at 3:03 PM, Grem said:

Yeah, she one of my all time favorite too.

So is Beverly Crusher.

And Diana Troy!! And her mom!! :)

Tmi?

Tmi ? NO !!!  If I ever make into Space The Final Frontier ..I'm gonna have to cheat at strip poker when I play with those girls .😍

Kenny

Edited by kennywtelejazz
  • Haha 1

I struggle with this every year with the IRS.  Four years in a row it's taken over a year to get my refunds because they have me listed as dead.  I die, then they bring me back to life and then next filing season I die again! 🤨

🙂John B

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Johnbee58 said:

I struggle with this every year with the IRS.  Four years in a row it's taken over a year to get my refunds because they have me listed as dead.  I die, then they bring me back to life and then next filing season I die again! 🤨

🙂John B

Oh, they'll find any excuse to delay getting money back to you!  I worked and lived in Washington, but for companies that have their main office in Oregon so Oregon takes out State taxes every year then I have to fight to get them back. 

Then, I find out they have money that belongs to me (apparently the extra received from when they auctioned off one of my houses).  They never informed me of this (it was now almost 14 years ago!), so I filled out all of the forms required to request the money (plus a few extra hoops of fire I had to jump through).  They have a website where you can check the status of your claim and it says: "Your documents have been received. Notification will be sent by email when your claim has been processed. Please allow up to 12 months for a response."  (My emphasis!)   12 months??!  Really??!!!  😮🤬

On 3/22/2023 at 8:35 PM, Johnbee58 said:

🙂John B

Wow! That's our government working!