Project Markers - Enhancements Needed

Todd Groemling

I think the requests below are pretty easy to do in comparison to, say, enhancements pertaining to audio or MIDI functionality.  In my world, such 'enhancements' are well-named as Quick Hits. How about it?

1) Allow colors for marker names

2) Maybe even have the whole row of a marker vs. just the Name of the marker have a highlight color...but only when/if the user chooses that. Otherwise, at least allow the Name of the marker to be a color chosen by the user. 

Rationale: Let a a user see where certain sections start (Chorus, Verse, Solo).

Meanwhile, I use markers not just for those low-hanging song sections, but also to remind myself what to work on, what to review or not forget about.

e.g., Put solo here? Extend this part? Add background vocal

This means I can have a lot markers in a project until I reach the final version. Until then, I need the Markers menu to be a more efficient assistant and note pad to guide me. I kinda think others do, too.

3) Please, let those of us users whose eyes aren't as great as they used to be, or as others, choose the font size of the Marker menu...separate from the font size(s) of any other menu.

Edited by Todd Groemling
Addition and clarification

@OutrageProductions Thank you for alerting me to the Arranger track. I knew it exists, but I've never used it. I attribute that in part to Cakewalk not properly explaining its function back it was introduced. I thought it was a way to move sections vs. designate what they are. But I will look into it. Maybe the Arranger track/function does both things in red?

Edited by Todd Groemling

20 hours ago, Todd Groemling said:

not properly explaining its function back it was introduced

It was and is fully documented. Are you aware that in addition to the online (and now offline) help, there's a huge, detailed, free book describing use of every one of Cakewalk's features in detail?

The days of freeware Cakewalk are different from the days of payware Cakewalk in multiple ways. One of them is that there's no reliance on adding and promoting new features as a way to sell licenses. Therefore it's on us to pay attention. Take a look at the new features lists. See if something pops out. There's a TON of good new stuff you may be missing out on in addition to the prior fulfillment of your extensive feature request. It's up to us to pay attention more than it's up to BandLab to clonk us over the head.

The Arranger Track of course does everything you request and much more. I even figured out a couple of days ago that not only can you color the sections, you can use emoji. So a vocal intro can display a microphone, etc.

• Like 3

You can create as many arranger tracks as you need.

Right clicking on the time ruler will allow you to create arranger sections from markers and vice versa.

If you're not using the arranger track for moving around events, I recommend unchecking "Select Events with Sections".  This will stop you accidently moving around parts of your project by accident.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Arranger Tracks make the markers entirely obsolete. They are easier to see and easier to use and color coded. Multiple Tracks are possible so you can label both the song section & the chords. And the bonus is you can use it to arrange.

Ctrl - Page up/Page down moves you to Next/Last section of the active track.

• Like 1

The marker enhancement that I'd like to see is the option to see "tails" on them that run down then entire height of the Track View.

I love the feature in Mixcraft, it makes it so much easier to line up clips and areas of a waveform (when you're trying to do manual phase alignment). Cakewalk does have the Aim Assist Line, which is awesome, but I'd still love to have those marker tails. Both are great, both together would be crazy great.

• 2 weeks later...