Building Guitar Project

Grem

Update: Last one for this thread.

Ordered the S-Style kit last night . Will be here in a few days. I plan on doing this one slowly. Mostly so I don't mess anything up, but also to try and teach myself some patience's when doing this type of work.

You'll need a 4mm brad bit (to slide thru the body to mark the neck; its in the manual) and an 1/8" brad to drill the neck.
Shown is a 3/16 and 1/8. the 3/16 is a little "proud" of 4mm and might bind in the body.
brad_bits.jpg.4bd573e88a8fbeffae845b04a58802ad.jpg

You can see the point on the 3/16, its there on the 1/8.

2 hours ago, Grem said:

but also to try and teach myself some patience's when doing this type of work

Yeah, good luck with that 🙃

t

• Haha 1

Update:

Recieved the kit. Just letting everyone know the body has holes drilled in it and so does the neck!! Despite what Stewmac Tech told me, both have holes already drilled. So.... we will see at a later date how they really line up. Also, the tremolo was already screwed in. With all six screws. I am thinking that they already strung the guitar and lined up the neck before they drilled the holes in the neck. At least that's what I am hoping.

The body is more square around the top part of the body than I think it should be. I may have to cut some of that out. It's also lighter (weight wise) than I expected.

The neck will definitely need work. It is unplayable as it is. Sharp fret ends that need to be filed. I mean I would not advise anyone to play it as is. You would likely cut yourself. They are that bad.

The back of the neck will need lots of sanding or a finish put on it. It's also rough. It's in an unfinished state. So playing would be hampered. 

Not complaining. This is what I signed up for. Just giving some hands on details of the kit I received in case anyone reading this wants that info.

• Like 1

Yeah, it is still the same as the last picture it that thread. I had bought quality pots for it, but never used them. I was going to shorten the wiring run if I did replace them but have had no issues. Lesson learned for me. Before getting excited about what "might be," be sure to evaluate "what is." Focus on finishing/assembly as top priority (the stuff that is sorta permanent), then kick the tires on the finished product to check out the things you want to alter.

The only thing I have left is the logo, and I lost the little guy who would run and sit in front of the amp to lymphoma in his stomach (vile disease). I want to put "Tigger" on the head stock in the Gibson font (already created the graphic), but I am still on the fence about vinyl lettering (lazy route) versus a resin inlay. I replaced a nasty plastic mouse pad on my desk with resin recently and it turned out awesome, but carving that stock is going to take some time; however, I prefer to honor the little guy with something awesome rather than cheesy because I got lazy.

1 hour ago, mettelus said:

carving that stock is going to take some time; however, I prefer to honor the little guy with something awesome rather than cheesy because I got lazy.

Yeah, you would always regret not putting in the time and effort for him, and for yourself.

1 hour ago, mettelus said:

Focus on finishing/assembly as top priority (the stuff that is sorta permanent), then kick the tires on the finished product to check out the things you want to alter.

Thanks for the advice.  I pretty much realized that yesterday when I opened the box that it would mostly be a finishing job. And I am good with that. When I looked at the body yesterday I saw a lot of pore holes. And I wasn't sure I would be able to fill them in with just TruOil.  But re-reading you first thread from 2021 got my spirit back up and I am holding out hope that I will be able to use TruOil. 

I will be going to hardware store and picking up some sanding paper to start the project!!

I will have a lot of sanding to do to the neck to get it where I want it. I want to leave it unfinished with a lite sealer on it. Right now it's just too rough.