Why is Cakewalk favoring core 1 so much?

RexRed

On 3/20/2023 at 5:40 AM, Glenn Stanton said:

Process Lasso 🙂 

@Glenn StantonI use the "junior?" version of this, Park Control from BitSum. Do you use Process Lasso? I've tried to figure out what it does beyond what Park Control does, which is optimizes so no cores ever get parked and are always available. Thanks for any insight.

Some notes.

Make sure performance module is set to audio engine performance rather than system load otherwise its showing performance of the system as a whole not Cakewalk.
The measurement of engine performance is an “estimate” so don’t read too much into the metering. There is no perfect way for an app to measure core performance at the app level in Windows. Its intended for troubleshooting only. The bottom line is whether you actually hear glitches.
The app is at the mercy of the windows scheduler so we cannot control which core gets the most cycles. Especially with some of the modern big/little core CPU’s as well as hyperthreading this is not deterministic anymore.

Also one of the cores gets assigned to user interface. The audio engine can get assigned to the same core being used by the UI by windows so its not abnormal at all to see more load on one core. Load balancing is not a perfect science so I wouldnt get too hung up on seeing perfect distribution of workloads. Depending on how your project is set up and the plugins its normal to see variances.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

17 hours ago, Billy86 said:

@Glenn StantonI use the "junior?" version of this, Park Control from BitSum. Do you use Process Lasso? I've tried to figure out what it does beyond what Park Control does, which is optimizes so no cores ever get parked and are always available. Thanks for any insight.

i use Process Lasso as i can assign CPU affinity, power, etc -- it's much more granular and covers many more options than the Park Control (which is what i started with). so, with CW - i generally don't do much. with my CAD and rendering, the CPU and related power controls make a big difference in how fast i can move around in 3D and render images (even with a nice set of GPU, the CPU still matters because vector programs are generally single process so reconstruction of the vectors as you move (and if you have colors/ texture and shadows etc enabled) it can grind to a halt quickly. CW on the other hand, i set it to use a higher level of processing and it's happy. 🙂 

Edited by Glenn Stanton
  • Like 1

VSTs like Artruria's Augmented Strings and Augmented Vocals can bring a processor to its knees and the meter won't show it. I use it as an indication but things can go crappy and the meter won't show it. But I do think that meters that are slamming the top are usually accompanied with a horrible sounds.

As Noel said, what does it sound like.

Edited by Terry Kelley