Hide tracks/folders for navigation

Hello guys. 

I’ve created a template with 70+ tracks neatly organised into folders. However it is a nightmare trying to mix this. What I want is a controller to assist me and I´m  looking at the x-touch. I know I can scroll through 8 tracks at the time, but what I want to do is scrolling through groups of tracks. Eg. I have 5 vocal tracks, 4 Guitar tracks, 6 synth tracks and 5 percussion tracks. What will happen if I scroll through the tracks the controller will first pick up 5 vocal tracks and 3 guitar tracks, then 1 guitar track, 6 synth tracks and 1 percussion track.. and so forth.

What I want is the option to select all my vocal tracks on my first page, then my guitars on the second page, then my synths on the third page... or a combination of tracks, drums and bass, or perhaps even a buss.

I was thinking that this could be archived through some clever shortcuts by hiding different tracks, or by using screensets, but I’m not quite sure how this easily cold be set up by using a controller or be integrated in a workflow. Anyone have any tips, to this setup?

edit: written on a iphone on a bus from Seville with autocorrect...

Edited by Jens Hetland

Thanks for your reply. Probably be too confusing, and pading out each group is an easy solution. However, it would be really cool to say, press an option key and the bank scrolling to scroll through the different screensets instead of tracks, or selecting them individually by combining buttons on the controller.

Edited by Jens Hetland
typo

On 7/31/2019 at 11:43 AM, msmcleod said:

Probably the easiest and quickest way would be to add blank tracks to pad out each group to eight.

If you go down the route of using lenses or screensets to hide tracks, it'll get really confusing.

I am setting up a template, and had inserted some tracks before I got to this realization.

Is there some method to insert new tracks at specific locations in the track list to pad out my 'groups'?

Or do I need to start a new template?

TIA

8 minutes ago, Patrick H BUSHAW said:

I am setting up a template, and had inserted some tracks before I got to this realization.

Is there some method to insert new tracks at specific locations in the track list to pad out my 'groups'?

Or do I need to start a new template?

TIA

If you use Insert Track from the insert menu, or the Add Track button  it'll add them to the end.

If however, you using "Insert Audio Track" or "Insert MIDI Track" from the right click menu, it will insert the track immediately before the track you right clicked on. If you're not currently on a track and use the right click menu, it'll add it to the end.

[Edit] - once you've done that, you can then right click and select "Duplicate Track" where you can get it to duplicate it a number of times.

So say you needed 5 extra tracks between track 3 & 4:

• right click on track 4, select "Insert Audio Track"
  • right click on the "new" track 4 and select "Duplicate Track" and enter 4 in the repetitions.
Edited by msmcleod

35 minutes ago, Patrick H BUSHAW said:

Right click the track Below where you want to insert blank tracks and click insert audio track.  Lol! Mark beat me to it.  The track will insert above the one you right click.

Also you can save multiple blank tracks as a track template ‘4 blank tracks’ and as long as it’s just tracks and no folders it will insert them above the track you right click on.

I personally like pressing ‘H’ (Track Manager) and deselect Tracks or Folders that way.  You could say have all your Guitars in a Folder making it easier to hide or unhide the whole folder in the Track Manager (click the folder to hide or unhide the whole folder) as well as collapse the folder to hide stuff in track view. Clicking then holding shift and clicking will select thise in between as expected and cntrl clicking works like you would expect for picking and choosing. Helpful Toggles too in there (audio midi synth etc)

Track Manager works good for Clean Mixing!

Also adding I like to group Instruments by Colors as well to ease Navigation. 

Edited by Blogospherianman
Added thought about color