I wonder if the next CbB update is going to be a biggie!

Promidi

21 hours ago, Magic Russ said:

I'd also like the ability to replace old versions of plugins with new versions with little to no effort. For example if I have Amplitube 3 with a Clean Twin patch, and no longer have A3 installed, perhaps give me the option to replace it with a Amplitube 5 and use the same patch if it can find it.  Same for Kontakt.

It seems to me that falls to the manufacturer. but I could be wrong.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Magic Russ said:

if I have Amplitube 3 with a Clean Twin patch, and no longer have A3 installed, perhaps give me the option to replace it with a Amplitube 5 and use the same patch if it can find it. 

This can be done with Amplitube. And as Bapu points out, it's because IK has implemented the ability in AT5 to import the Legacy presets from older versions of AT.

But to be honest, because I mo longer have AT 3 installed, if I open a older project with AT3 in it, I just.replace it with AT5 and tweak a new setting. AT5 offers much better sound and many more options for the cabs than the older stuff. And it's easy to work with. 

Now I realize that if it is a finished mix, then my solution would be more problematic. So when I finish a mix (is that really possible?!!) I like to freeze the trks so they are always at least listenable/exportable.

I am a guitarist,  I got no problem taking a frozen trk, copying the wav to a new trk, unfreeze said trk and completely redo the whole thing with a entirely different plugin!!

The beauty of a DAW!! (Or is that a curse? Still trying to figure that one out!)

Of course with Amplitube I can do that, but the time to do that over a lot of projects just adds up.  Maybe it was originally a vox preset and I load a deluxe, no big deal, who knows the second patch might even be better...

On the other hand, with instruments, just swapping out a sound is harder than it seems.  Sure, there will be cases where I might know the original was a string pad or square lead and I have no shortages of those and it won't matter which one I load.  On the other hand there are also a lot of cases where I might not be able to tell what I used even if I had bounced the track at some point.

I've heard that Reaper has the ability to replace old instruments with current ones.  I don't know how much of a burden it would be for Cakewalk to do likewise.

12 hours ago, Promidi said:

Like this?

Yes CW can do that. But I think he is talking about older projects that when opened can replace a synth in the project with the newer version of synth now installed on machine.

12 hours ago, Magic Russ said:

instruments, just swapping out a sound is harder than it seems

Yes it is. Which is why I didn't even go there!! :)

32 minutes ago, Grem said:

Yes CW can do that. But I think he is talking about older projects that when opened can replace a synth in the project with the newer version of synth now installed on machine.

Even if a DAW was updating to the newer plug-in version used, it seems that locating the correct original preset and or sound settings might be a huge challenge. I would think that part would still be up to the user, or the plug-in manufacturer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, abacab said:

Even if a DAW was updating to the newer plug-in version used, it seems that locating the correct original preset and or sound settings might be a huge challenge. I would think that part would still be up to the user, or the plug-in manufacturer.

I totally agree with you: the burden lies with the user/plugin.

And I think this is the reason CW does what it does: leaves plugins saved with project and doesn't try to update them.

That would be a nightmare to be honest. To the user and the devs!

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Grem said:

I totally agree with you: the burden lies with the user/plugin.

And I think this is the reason CW does what it does: leaves plugins saved with project and doesn't try to update them.

That would be a nightmare to be honest. To the user and the devs!

At first I thought it might be nice to have a substitution table that allowed for user control of which manufacturers and which specific products would be automatically substituted when new versions came out, but I agree it would be a nightmare to implement. 

Plus, I can imagine some people forgetting they set up customized substitution tables, coming into chat, and in frustration rudely bad-mouthing good old Cakewalk because their projects no longer worked as they did before.  🤪

Conclusion: Best to let the users take responsibility!!!  Just say no to Automatic Automatized Intelligence.  😉 

Edited by User 905133
changed "Automatic" to "Automatized"
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 3/16/2023 at 9:10 AM, Brian Walton said:

Hopefully not considering I'm convinced less than 20% of the user base would ever touch it (even if it was implemented well).  The fact of the mater is the average musician these days - especially guitarists where Cakewalk has long been a target audience - have no use for staff notation editing.  And I think even 20% would be far fetched personally.

As much as I feel for those that do want this as a core copentency in the program.  Cakwalk would be far better served to focus on things that any musicaion can benefit from.  We look at Chord/phrase/melody tools like Scaler and this is something that beginners can use all the way up to more advanced users thanks to advanced chord substituation concepts and composition tools.   Tools like this can help a beginner to even get started and it would be nice to have this type of functionality built into the DAW itself instead of a plugin.  

Not sure if the next update will be a biggie or not, but realistically as long as they continue to keep it free and funtional - this is already a mature platform to work on.  

The only real way Cakewalk could implement true score editing is if they bought an existing package like Presonus did with Notion - starting from scratch would require dedicated staff 😉.  For MIDI editing in notation, things could be a lot worse than Staff View.

Regarding a chord track, I've come to the conclusion thatthe addition of scale capabilities are necessary to properly handle melodies and bass parts.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, pbognar said:

Regarding a chord track, I've come to the conclusion thatthe addition of scale capabilities are necessary to properly handle melodies and bass parts.

I would be happy to see them just start with a scale and chord assistant as a first step. They could add more to it later, especially if that stimulates requests for specific additional related features.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, abacab said:

I would be happy to see them just start with a scale and chord assistant as a first step. They could add more to it later, especially if that stimulates requests for specific additional related features.

The most clamored-for major feature right now is, I think, an integrated sampling instrument. No matter how many good ones are out there, even for free, a DAW these days should have that.

After that, the chord track seems to be the next most requested. I'd like Cakewalk to get a chord track because I have no idea what one even does. Maybe I'd find it very useful.

• Like 2

The chord track and the integration of Notion are the main reasons I mostly use Studio One these days even though I think Cakewalk's MIDI is otherwise better.

Sometimes I only use the chord track as a reminder of the chord for any location, other times I get MIDI to follow the track and it's very useful editing in Melodyne.

I don't write in Notion but send scores from S1 complete with chords, lyrics, tempo qetc that need very little editing and this is a useful tool working with collaborators.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

After that, the chord track seems to be the next most requested. I'd like Cakewalk to get a chord track because I have no idea what one even does. Maybe I'd find it very useful.

There are videos on YT of Studio One Chord Track.  It would be a welcome addition to CbB. 

44 minutes ago, InstrEd said:

There are videos on YT of Studio One Chord Track.  It would be a welcome addition to CbB. 

Yes it would, but pushing out something in CbB at that level would be a major development project. More likely that a Chord Track would be done in phases, if at all.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

The most clamored-for major feature right now is, I think, an integrated sampling instrument. No matter how many good ones are out there, even for free, a DAW these days should have that.

Right! I believe that many leading DAWs have added that feature by now. The integrated samplers are usually rather simple in form, and are designed to quickly map (drag n drop) a sample (or a few samples) across the keyboard with some sound shaping features for using them directly in a production, such as selecting sample start and end, one shot or looping, slicing, filter, LFOs, and ADSR envelopes.

Not to be confused with creating complex multi-sampled instruments like you would use in Kontakt or something like that.

Edited by abacab
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, InstrEd said:

Bitflipper (Dave) said long time Sonar users will be happy to see something added from the past.  I have been trying to figure out what item it could be.

Only 12 more days till thee end of the month.

Maybe Bandlab dug up and made Beatscape into the next generation synth Cakewalk originally hyped it up to be!

• Great Idea 1

7 minutes ago, Magic Russ said:

Maybe Bandlab dug up and made Beatscape into the next generation synth Cakewalk originally hyped it up to be!

Now that would be a big hit if they actually dug up one of the old & nearly forgotten VSTi plugins!

17 hours ago, abacab said:

Now that would be a big hit if they actually dug up one of the old & nearly forgotten VSTi plugins!

Speaking of forgotten Cakewalk plugins, I was just pulling up an old project where I used the "ob9" patch for Triangle II.  It sounded pretty good.  I thought I could reproduce that with one of my various Oberheim type soft synths, but I would still have to go with the Triangle patch.

Edited by Magic Russ
  • Like 1