vst scan runtime error

6 minutes ago, scook said:

That is a log with the bad scan path. Check the PC clock if you want accurate timestamps.

Delete all the files in %appdata%\Cakewalk\Logs and create a fresh log by running a VST reset from preferences using the default scan path as shown in the help

Okay. Well the dates jibe now:

LogFile: C:\Users\jon\AppData\Roaming\Cakewalk\Logs\VstScan.log
Monday, 05 Aug 2019, 21:21:30
Opened Log File -----------------------------
Command line: /DoReset/VSTRegPerUser/VSTRegKey:"Software\Cakewalk Music Software\Cakewalk\Cakewalk VST X64"/SONARHWND:1444240
Flag: DoReset
Flag: VSTRegPerUser
Flag: VSTRegKey:"Software\Cakewalk Music Software\Cakewalk\Cakewalk VST X64"
Flag: SONARHWND:1444240
VSTSCAN: Delete untouched - Scanning for plugins to remove...

VSTSCAN: Finished analyzing VST plugins - 21 of 24 VST plugins were scanned in this run
VSTSCAN: Delete untouched - Scanning for plugins to remove...
VSTSCAN: Sending WM_PLUGIN_INVENTORY_CHANGE
Closing log file
Monday, 05 Aug 2019, 21:21:47

The log should be much smaller. Most of the non-vst dlls should not be in the log this time. The scan path should show

-------- VST scan path's --------
c:\program files\cakewalk\shared utilities\internal
c:\program files\cakewalk\vstplugins
c:\program files\common files\vst3 

Now all you have to do is find where you installed your 3rd party plug-ins.

Thanks, Scook. Looking for a needle in a haystack is so much easier when you use a magnet.

I doubt that that will get me completely out of the woods.

Am I pessimistic for assuming Pace/ iLok will find a way to toss a spanner into the works? ¬¬

Not with Waves or Nomad factory, but maybe a couple of the others. Last time I checked I had 2 licences on the iLok dongle and I think 5 in the computer. I think some companies stopped requiring the dongle and others didn't... I find it all confusing. I only work at this one location on this one computer so far.

My guess is you used default installs. If this is the case, the installers will tell you where the plug-ins are located. There are a couple of common locations already mentioned in the thread but VST2 plug-ins have no formal standard install path. VST3 provides a standard location but most if not all of the plug-ins you list as missing are VST2.

iLok should matter as long as the plug-ins show they are activated in the iLok License Manager. Hopefully you remembers to deactivate the the plug-ins that stored their licenses on the computer as this is a new install requiring new activations. The dongle won't have that problem.

• Thanks 1

Heh, well if I'd known that I'd have moved the others to the dongle while the going was good.

The iLok manager shows 46 plugins.

10 are activated and the rest are Steve Slate's (almost) Everything Bundle. The bundle is a locked subscription; I haven't been using that stuff. Slate Trigger is s separate thing which is activated according to iLok.

So 3 are on the dongle and 7 are on the computer. I thought they were easy to move around like they should be but maybe they aren't.

They are all shown as 'activated' FWIW.

ilok4.jpg.5ceb47e66f1b8b59ec62414fb8055527.jpg

Edited by jonathan boose

Looks like I might be able to refresh these licenses by doing an uninstall and reinstall?

Anyway, it's 3 AM in NY. Getting some shut-eye. Waves phone support opens in 6 hours and they probably will give me better tech support for Pace products in 2 minutes than Pace would in 2 eons despite their products not relying on iLok  :p

ilok5.jpg

I just thought of the workaround for the Waves problem, I think.

If I follow their instructions, my licenses are on 2 separate clouds, V9 point something and V10.

I'm starting by clicking on "my products" like they tell me and it selects the first half dozen plugins, then I click start and it runs "32 processes in parallel" for a few hours without enough bandwidth left over to go to a site like this one, then it chokes and dies.

DSL tests at 2 mbps… Seriously? sheesh!

Instead, I select each product separately. I got one to go through, the LA2A clone. Doing Abbey Road Chambers now.

(yawn) I'll resume in the morning.

Okay, so I moved the Waves plugins one by one from the cloud to my pc and got them into the scan path.

I opened a project in CbB and the Waves plugins showed up.  I closed the project to see if I could make my iLok plugins show up.

I couldn't. Then I opened up a project and Waves plugins don't show up. Instead, I get the Cakewalk missing plugin stand in message "this plugin is missing or improperly installed". Now it's past 5:00 PM and Waves phone support is gone for the weekend.

Meanwhile on the Pace front, I didn't deactivate the licenses before I moved to a new OS and C drive, not realizing that that would create problems.

Attempting to follow the confusing and contradictory instructions, I thought I'd try deactivating one of the plugins which Pace says is on the pc although I have no idea where in order to try to reactivate it in the scan path.

I got a message saying deactivating it would send it to the dongle; it didn't, it just disappeared completely. I've got the activation code for the plugin but can't get prompted for it.

So: Any ideas on how to get the Waves plugins that were briefly not missing to be not missing again before the end of the weekend, and...

What can I do about iLok? Do I have to contact the companies that made the plugins?

I did that to myself, too - moved to a different computer without deactivating my licenses on the old computer.

I ended up sending an email to support, though I do not recall if it was to Pace ILOK support or EastWest - (might have sent Help Me messages to both - it has been 3 years since I did that).

Anyways, for software using the ILOK licensing unless it has changed, some licenses were required to live on a dongle, which sucked royally, while newer licenses were more likely to be activated using ILOK software in an installed app on the computer it was licensed to, and if you wanted to use the software on another different computer, that was permitted, however you would have to deactivate the licenses on the first computer, which then returned the licensing back to your account in the 'cloud', and then you could activate that license from the 2nd computer, which would then assign the license to that specific computer.  You could go back and forth however many times you wanted - and I ran like that for several years, with my EastWest Composer Cloud and Composer Cloud Plus subscriptions - so that I could move from my main recording desktop, to a mobile laptop, and have access to all of the Composer Cloud libraries on whichever computer I was using for a given session.

Bob Bone

Hmmm...

I got the dongle (iLok 2) when it was necessary for some plugins, some of which later let you keep them on your computer, somewhere, I still don't know where. If they're on the cloud, it's grayed out on the iLok plugin manager.

"You could go back and forth however many times you wanted".

Seems to conflict with "licenses can be reactivated once per year unless you know the secret handshake" from Pace.

It's 1:40 AM here... I'll try to navigate this minefield tomorrow after a cup of coffee...

21 hours ago, Robert Bone said:

I did that to myself, too - moved to a different computer without deactivating my licenses on the old computer.

I ended up sending an email to support, though I do not recall if it was to Pace ILOK support or EastWest - (might have sent Help Me messages to both - it has been 3 years since I did that).

From the iLok site:

If you're having problems using or authorizing your protected software, please contact the software publisher first. They will escalate your issue to PACE as needed.

• Like 1

I don't feel like sitting on my hands until Monday to call Waves if I don't have to.

Here's a riddle maybe someone here can solve. I don't know if it's relevant:

When you go to move your licenses from the cloud to your computer, Waves doesn't let you choose the destination? Just "computer" and "install".

Why does it save the WaveShell stuff to x86? That's supposed to be for legacy 32 bit apps, right? Not the plugins I actually use?

They don't show up anywhere else in the 2 recommended scan paths. They show up like this:

C: Program files (x86) > common files > VST3 >

WaveShell-VST3 9.92.vst3

WaveShell-VST3 10.0.vst3

WaveShell-VST3 10.0.vst3

On 8/10/2019 at 12:43 AM, jonathan boose said:

Hmmm...

I got the dongle (iLok 2) when it was necessary for some plugins, some of which later let you keep them on your computer, somewhere, I still don't know where. If they're on the cloud, it's grayed out on the iLok plugin manager.

"You could go back and forth however many times you wanted".

Seems to conflict with "licenses can be reactivated once per year unless you know the secret handshake" from Pace.

It's 1:40 AM here... I'll try to navigate this minefield tomorrow after a cup of coffee...

I go through the Deactivation of: Composer Cloud Plus, UVI Synth Legacy, Eventide Blackhole, and EW SSL FX Global Pack - MULTIPLE times in any given month, and that makes those licenses available to be associated with other computers I have - usually my laptop.  Once the license(s) are Deactivated on my desktop computer, I then launch the iLOK Manager software on the laptop, and then Activate those licenses on the laptop.

This process can be repeated as many times as I want, and over the past year I have done this DOZENS of times, back and forth, from desktop to cloud to laptop, and then from laptop back to cloud and back to desktop.

The only time this process pisses me off, is when I have forgotten to deactivate the licenses on the desktop, then drive off into the sunset with my laptop, for a remote recording session, because unless those licenses are in the cloud, (from being deactivated on the desktop), the iLOK software will not allow me to Activate the licenses to associate them with the laptop.  It just means my driving back to the house and making sure to do the Deactivation, and then I have no issues with doing the Activation on the laptop.

Bob Bone

2 hours ago, Robert Bone said:

I go through the Deactivation of: Composer Cloud Plus, UVI Synth Legacy, Eventide Blackhole, and EW SSL FX Global Pack - MULTIPLE times in any given month, and that makes those licenses available to be associated with other computers I have - usually my laptop.  Once the license(s) are Deactivated on my desktop computer, I then launch the iLOK Manager software on the laptop, and then Activate those licenses on the laptop.

This process can be repeated as many times as I want, and over the past year I have done this DOZENS of times, back and forth, from desktop to cloud to laptop, and then from laptop back to cloud and back to desktop.

The only time this process pisses me off, is when I have forgotten to deactivate the licenses on the desktop, then drive off into the sunset with my laptop, for a remote recording session, because unless those licenses are in the cloud, (from being deactivated on the desktop), the iLOK software will not allow me to Activate the licenses to associate them with the laptop.  It just means my driving back to the house and making sure to do the Deactivation, and then I have no issues with doing the Activation on the laptop.

Bob Bone

Here's the problem I had with that:

I went to deactivate one of the plugins. It didn't ask for a destination, the iLok manager indicated that it would be deactivated to the dongle. Maybe it defaults to the dongle if it's plugged in instead of the cloud?

But after the process is completed, the iLok manager shows that it didn't go onto the dongle, it disappeared into thin air instead. Now instead of having 2 plugins on the dongle and 7 on the pc, it shows 2 on the dongle, 6 on the pc and 1 missing.

The location Pace shows is Jon-PC. There is no such folder on this C drive. There is a Jon-PC on the image I saved of the old hard drive but the entire image won't fit onto the new hard drive and I don't know hot to identify.

The image is 537 gig total.  It contains a .BIN file called MediaID.bin. I have no ID what that is and I can't open it.

It contains 2 folders. One contains 4 zip files labeled Backup Files 1-4. The other contains 3,358 zip files labeled Backup Files 1-3358.

Not sure how I'd locate anything in that.

Edited by jonathan boose

The location name is the name of your computer, and is not a folder name.  Your computer has a name of Jon-PC.  When you Deactivate a license, it returns to your account as available. 

At the top of the iLOK Manager software, there is a tab called View, and you can view all available licenses - meaning ones that are available for Activation.

As users, we are not supposed to physically do anything with the actual license, so wherever they actually store something is not something we have to deal with.  It all comes down to using the iLOK manager app to control Activation and Deactivation using the software.  Choosing the right items to view is a little strange until you get the hang of it.

Bob Bone

• 3 weeks later...

I'm currently waiting to hear back from Sound Radix. I went to the iLok manager and activated the license as they instructed, it's in the scan path but no dice so far.

The Waves plugins are working now. I'm pretty sure you can't do it without a tech taking over the computer. The guy works really fast so it's hard to follow, but he opens a new CbB project and individually authorizes each plugin. I think this is because if they give you a temporary activation code, some people would spread that around and people would have cracked Waves plugins before the code was disabled.