vst scan runtime error

A current log from a freshly run VST reset should not contain 1280 DLLs or there will be a similar count of plug-ins listed in CbB.

If the scan completes it will be noted at the end of the log.

Run a VST reset and generate a fresh log.

If the reset does not find your 3rd party plug-ins and you do not remember where you installed them, you can run the installers again and take note of the paths used by the installers. Every plug-in installer lists the paths used by the installer as part of the install process.

That is good news. The scanner ran to completion but the log does not appear to be a VST reset just a regular scan. The log does indicate there should be 23 plug-ins listed in the VST2 and VST3 folders when using the "Sort by Type" layout.

This is progress from the OP and the other scan failure message. Now all you need to do is find where your plug-ins are installed.

The log shows a lot of "not a VST plugin". Does that just mean it's excluding the .AAX files? I don't even know how they got there.

files/Softube/Plug-Ins VST AAX 64-bit/Resources/Abbey Road RS135.aaxplugin/Contents/Resources/AAX_TI_176.dll
VSTSCAN: Previously scanned - NOT a VST plugin

AAX is a Protools plug-in extension. They are not VST plug-ins. These plug-ins do not get installed by default in the two paths defined in default settings.

This begs the question, how did these plug-in get installed under "C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Vstplugins" and "C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3?"

Were these paths populated using the manufacturers installers or copied from somewhere?

I thought AAX was a Protools extension, but, to add to the confusion, it's also an extension for Audible which is a streaming service (Amazon, I believe) for audio books which I haven't used in a couple of years. I've never had any Protools anything on this pc. I think it was strictly an Apple thing until recently.

The AAX file extension is a data file format associated to the Audible Enhanced Audiobook. AAX file extension and Audible Enhanced Audiobook were developed by Audible. These files are multimedia digital audiobook which include images, links, videos and timeline. They are considered as enhanced format of AA files.

By default most manufacturers install all available formats for their plug-ins. This includes the Protools plug-ins, however; they are always installed in their own folders. Protools plug-ins do not get installed in the default CbB scan path. This indicates that either the installers were not used to install the plug-ins or the path was changed during install to put the Protools plug-ins in the VST scan path.

Hmmm...

My recollection is that whenever I download anything, they give you 2 links, one for Apple and one for pc, and I always click the latter link.

Why even provide that option if they're just going to go ahead and install all available formats for their plug-ins by default anyway?

Anything about this that you don't understand well, I understand even less.

The log is a mile long and speaks in a language I don't understand.

Here's another clue for you all (or not):

files/Dell/SupportAssistAgent/PCDr/Updater/6.0.7033.2285/Mono.Cecil.dll
VSTSCAN: Previously scanned - NOT a VST plugin

Could this be a scan log including "C:\Program Files" as part of the scan path?

The scan path used is shown near the top of the log.

When running a scan (or reset) using the default paths as show in the help, the log will show the following path info

-------- VST scan path's --------
c:\program files\cakewalk\shared utilities\internal
c:\program files\cakewalk\vstplugins
c:\program files\common files\vst3

about 10 or so lines from the top of the log.

To avoid confusion about which log you are reviewing, delete all the logs in %appdata%\Cakewalk\Logs and create a fresh log by running a VST reset using the default scan path

What are your VST scan paths in Preferences set to right now?   Whatever they, browse to those folders using Windows File Explorer and see which .dll files exist - those are the files that the VST scanner will attempt to scan.    The one above is under a /Dell folder so it's unclear why that would be included as a folder to scan.    Like scook mentioned previously, start with  limited paths and get those working properly, then build up from there.

27 minutes ago, SteveC said:

What are your VST scan paths in Preferences set to right now?   Whatever they, browse to those folders using Windows File Explorer and see which .dll files exist - those are the files that the VST scanner will attempt to scan.   

The scan log shows 1,280 .DLL files.

Not sure why File Explorer would show a different number.

38 minutes ago, scook said:

Could this be a scan log including "C:\Program Files" as part of the scan path?

The scan path used is shown near the top of the log.

When running a scan (or reset) using the default paths as show in the help, the log will show the following path info

about 10 or so lines from the top of the log.

To avoid confusion about which log you are reviewing, delete all the logs in %appdata%\Cakewalk\Logs and create a fresh log by running a VST reset using the default scan path

LogFile: C:\Users\jon\AppData\Roaming\Cakewalk\Logs\VstScan.log
Thursday, 25 Jul 2019, 00:28:55
Opened Log File -----------------------------
Command line: /VSTRegPerUser/VSTRegKey:"Software\Cakewalk Music Software\Cakewalk\Cakewalk VST X64"/Background/SONARHWND:329290
Flag: VSTRegPerUser
Flag: VSTRegKey:"Software\Cakewalk Music Software\Cakewalk\Cakewalk VST X64"
Flag: Background
Flag: SONARHWND:329290
-------- VST scan path's --------
c:\program files\cakewalk\shared utilities\internal
c:\program files
c:\program files\cakewalk\vstplugins
c:\program files\common files\vst3
c:\trigger_2_r112_win
-----------------------------
------- 1280 DLL's found -------

That is a log with the bad scan path. Check the PC clock if you want accurate timestamps.

Delete all the files in %appdata%\Cakewalk\Logs and create a fresh log by running a VST reset from preferences using the default scan path as shown in the help

7 minutes ago, jonathan boose said:

The scan log shows 1,280 .DLL files.

Not sure why File Explorer would show a different number.

I used to get many *.dll [dynamic link library files] found with the cakewalk plug-in manager that had nothing to do with audio vsts (instruments, fx, etc.). I just assumed they were *.dlls that were used by various other programs.  IIRC I either excluded them permanently one-by-one or I put bona fide vsts in specific folders for Cakewalk to find.

• Meh 1

In this case, it was a bad path added to the scan path. The scanner was trying to load every dll under "C:\Program Files." This is guaranteed to cause all kinds of problems. There may be a few extra dlls in the normal VST scan path but if there are a lot, this is a good indicator the scanner is looking in folders that should not be in the scan path.

• Like 1