vst scan runtime error

14 minutes ago, jonathan boose said:

What's up with "user privileges insufficient to start a low level driver"?

This pops up a few times during a VST scan before the C++ thing stops the scan completely.

I thought that was a Windows permission thing but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Even if you're not running as Administrator itself, installing anything that resembles a driver at least needs your user account to have admin rights to your local machine.

If this isn't the case, that's likely the cause of this.

Is the scanner trying to load dlls that are not VST plug-ins? This can cause all kinds of problems.

May want to verify the scan path contains only VST binaries. Other types data in the scan path are OK but unexpected dlls can be trouble.

Also may be a good idea to generate and review scan logs. The log setting is in preferences.

Thanks guys I will look into these things.

Msmcleod, I'm listed as local account administrator. That isn't high enough privs?

I'm new at Win 10. Took me about 5 minutes to find the carefully hidden restart button this morning because I've only restarted it about 20 times so far  :p

27 minutes ago, jonathan boose said:

I'm listed as local account administrator. That isn't high enough privs?

Usually more than enough to run CbB and the VST scanner. There are some users who must run as administrator (a higher setting) in order to use XP era plug-ins that write to protected parts of the registry or plug-ins, such as those created using synthedit, that write to areas of the HD which require elevated privileges.

• Like 1

Thanks, Scook.

I'm the only person who uses this computer and it isn't on a network. No family or friends on it or anyone else.

The only option I see in the Control Panel that I don't have checked off:

It is set to local profile, not roaming profile.

I'm not sure what that means. Would that make a difference?

I suspect the most recent error is not a permission problem but a scan path issue. It is possible to run CbB as administrator if you wish. The setting in on the CbB icon context menu (right-click the CbB icon). It may be permanently set on the Compatibility tab of the context menu.

5 hours ago, scook said:

I suspect the most recent error is not a permission problem but a scan path issue. It is possible to run CbB as administrator if you wish. The setting in on the CbB icon context menu (right-click the CbB icon). It may be permanently set on the Compatibility tab of the context menu.

When I right click on the CbB icon ( I assume that's the orange flask) I  get the options: Move; Minimize; Close.

Edited by jonathan boose

This shows the run as administrator setting on the context menu and permanent setting in the Properties Compatibility tab but not sure why this is being discussed.

qMWkNES.gif

No plug-in should be trying to load a driver. Usually drivers are started when the OS starts up or a piece of hardware is attached.

Time would be better spent trying to isolate the dll that generated the error, validating the scan path and running/reviewing the scan log.

I don't whether it was running CbB as administrator or changing my privs from local to roaming or both,

But now I don't get "insufficient privs" error messages but get ones instead saying I need the Pace drivers. I installed them less than 2 weeks ago but maybe they went stale :S

I uninstalled the iLok license manager and restarted the computer. (I don't know if that was completely necessary) Now I'm downloading a fresh one.

Pace defaulted to downloading to something I've never seen before that starts with IE and doesn't seem to be anything on my computer.  That doesn't make sense so I thought I'd ask about it. I usually download it to desktop. Then the window where you determine where to save it to disappeared, so I have to download it again.  I never thought for a minute that there would be smooth sailing with iLok, so I'm not surprised. Running out for some pizza. And a bottle of wine.

On 7/30/2019 at 10:09 PM, jonathan boose said:

I installed a new hard drive and switched from Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro.

How did you perform this? Reason I ask is twofold. First, many programs link to computer ID, so shifting hardware and OS could require a reinstall and/or reauthorization of those apps (Waves could be one, but I do not own any). Second, the VSTscan is a shared component, did you install an earlier SONAR version at any point after your shift to Win10?

19 hours ago, scook said:

No plug-in should be trying to load a driver. Usually drivers are started when the OS starts up or a piece of hardware is attached.

Time would be better spent trying to isolate the dll that generated the error, validating the scan path and running/reviewing the scan log. 

How do I isolate the dll that generated the error? They all look the same to me.

Now the ilok plugin manager says I have 2 plugins on the dongle and 5 on the pc and all are activated. None of them work, and I have insufficient privs again. The VST is still stopping partway through with a C++ error.

For the iLok plug-ins make sure the Pace serviice is running

start_service_pace_1.png

To find the offending dll, It may the the last on in the log

If it is not in the log, one way to isolate scan problems is by removing all the folders from the scan path and adding the back until the problem reappears.

For example, assuming the default scan path C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Vstplugins

1) rename this path

2) create a new empty C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Vstplugins

3) move 1/2 the contents of the old C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Vstplugins (now renamed) into the new C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Vstplugins

4) run the scanner

if the error shows up move 1/2 the contents of C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Vstplugins back to the old C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Vstplugins (now renamed) repeat step 4

If the scan runs error free repeat steps 3 and 4

The second path "C:\Program Files" is most definitely a problem. That should never be in the scan path.

I have no idea what "C:\trigger_2_r112_win" contains. It could be a problem.

Uncheck the Re-scan options

Also you should be running the scanner from preferences not from the Plug-in Manager.