vst scan runtime error

I installed a new hard drive and switched from Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro. Main obvious problem is runtime error not allowing a vst scan. I have scoured the internet, only to find confusing and contradictory advice.

I uninstalled the C++ stuff and reinstalled, as one post suggested. That didn't help.

Then someone suggested I remove all the 32 bit plugins... I don't know if I can even locate them all, and you can't delete the x86 folder. One poster said put all the plugins in C/ program files/ common files/ VST3. Did that,  the problem persists. Another poster said that there was a problem with VST3 that isn't on VST2.

I don't know if I can eliminate Gobbler or Pace as the culprit. Neither has tech support that I know of and Waves tech support doesn't return my inquiry.

Meanwhile, I can't use any 3rd party plugins and they are on all my projects.

Win 10 Pro
Intel Core i7-3770 @ 3.40 GHz, 3.40 GHz
16 GB RAM
64 bit op sys
Lynx Aurora 16 ADC w/ AES16e card

Edited by jonathan boose

I doubt if any of the things you've listed are the cause of the errors.

The most likely cause is either a virus scanner, or cloud storage client accessing those files while you're scanning. Make sure all of Cakewalk's directories and your plugin directories are excluded from virus scans / cloud storage backups. If they try to access files while Cakewalk is trying to use them, you'll run into this sort of issue - or worse a crash.

What error are you actually getting?

hmm  - not much to go on there unfortunately. I'd contact support@cakewalk.com - they may want you to follow some instructions to get more info for them.

Before you do that though, check Windows Defender, One Drive and any other virus checker/cloud sync software has those directories excluded.

4 hours ago, msmcleod said:

Before you do that though, check Windows Defender, One Drive and any other virus checker/cloud sync software has those directories excluded. 

Easier said than done. I have 2 sets of instructions that lead to dead ends.

1st set:

How the file system access settings work

To allow or block file system access for a specific app and service

Go to Start , and then select > Settings > Privacy > File system.

Make sure Allow apps to access your file system is turned On.

Under Choose which apps can access your file system, choose the individual apps and services for which you want to allow or block file system access and change the settings to On or Off.

Not all apps will appear under Choose which apps can access your file system. Certain Windows programs, such as those that are downloaded from the internet or installed with some type of media (such as a CD, DVD, or USB storage device) won’t appear in that list and are not affected by the Allow apps access your file system setting. To allow or deny file system access for one of these programs, check the settings in the program itself.

Office is the only item on the list.

So...

2nd set of instructions:

How to change file access permissions per app on Windows 10

If you're trying to allow or deny file access to a specific application, the quickest way to do this is to update the app settings using these steps:

Open Settings.

Click on Apps.

Click on Apps & features.

Select the app you want to change permissions, and click the Advanced options link.

Only Microsoft apps have advanced options; everything else only has the option to uninstall.

I don't currently have OneDrive set up.

On ‎7‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 10:09 PM, jonathan boose said:

Waves tech support doesn't return my inquiry.

Im very surprised by this. Waves usually follows up within a day. Possibly the best support for any plug in on the market.

Your errors are Visual C++ Runtime errors. This is synonymous with a failed C++ installation or one not present. That would be the first thing I would check. Second, just so we are all on the same page here... This is the latest Cakewalk by Bandlab your trying to use ? 

I uninstalled all the C++ stuff and reinstalled the Visual Studio. Not sure what else to do on that front.

I'll try installing the latest Cakewalk. I've been conditioned to not do that because every time I open Bandlab it tells me there's a new version and it is almost always a false alarm, so clicking the link just wastes time.

Maybe the boy was eaten by the wolf this time.

I went to download the latest Cakewalk by Bandlab.

The link in the project doesn't do anything, so I went to the desktop Bandlab icon, which started the download, then...

"The code execution cannot proceed because mfc120u.dll was not found. Reinstalling this program may fix this problem."

D'OH! I thought that was what I just did!

8 hours ago, Chuck E Baby said:

Im very surprised by this. Waves usually follows up within a day. Possibly the best support for any plug in on the market.

I can try again, or call them in Israel, which I'm trying to avoid.

But not all of the plugins that don't work are Waves, which makes me think the problem is elsewhere.

Basically, only cakewalk plugins work.

3 hours ago, jonathan boose said:

.... every time I open Bandlab it tells me there's a new version and it is almost always a false alarm, so clicking the link just wastes time...

That doesn't sound right.

When you say it's telling you there's a new version, where exactly does it say this?

The reason I ask, is there's two things in play here:

1. The version of BandLab Assistant - normally if there's a new version of this, it tells you right away once you start it up. You should ALWAYS make sure this is up to date, as this is what authorises your copy of Cakewalk, and ensures the correct version is downloaded. The current version of BandLab Assistant is v5.0.4. If you click on the gear icon at the top left, the version number will appear at the bottom of the screen:

image.png.5734ee0c258b56fcbac087a8a09f222f.png

2. The version of Cakewalk - Notifications for updates only appears on the Apps tab under the Cakewalk logo:

image.png.9f064b15d225d125f2af0fd9e81a6a91.png 

Edited by msmcleod

Trying to get rid of the runtime error I followed these instructions:

This is an issue with Windows system. To resolve the problem, please first run Windows Update to ensure that your system has all the latest system updates from Microsoft. If this doesn't resolve the issue, please try download and install Visual C++ 2013. Make sure to install both files: vcredist_x86.exe and vcredist_x64.exe. Whereas for 32-bit version of Windows, only install the vcredist_x86.exe.

That didn't work, but I noticed a few possible clues.

1) Not just aftermarket plugs were excluded -- sonitus plugins were, also.

2) When I tried scanning VSTs, the first time it scanned until it hit Waves SSL G-master bus, at which point I got an error message: "Continue? Risky!" I hit "continue" because I need ALL of my plugins, and that crashed the program.  After that, when I opened Bandlab I never got another warning like this, just a runtime error when I try to  scan VSTs.

3) One of the plugins shows up -- Softube Trident A-Range. It wasn't showing up before.

11 hours ago, Chuck E Baby said:

The mfc120u.dll is directly linked to the Visual C++ Redistributable Packages.

It should be noted, It is imperative to reboot your PC in order for these packages to fully install properly. Also of great importance is downloading them directly from MS. and no where else.

I had done that and it didn't do the trick. If you search mfc120u.dll in Google, the results boil down to "Make sure you install both Microsoft Visual C++ 2013 Redistributable (x86 and x64)" and a link to windows.

I initially installed Visual Studio 2015, 2017 and 2019, but every search result on the 1st page points to the 2013 version (and these posts are from 2018) and makes no mention of the later versions, so I installed the 2013 version also. It seems utterly counterintuitive to install 6 year old software when later versions are available, but...

I called Waves. I almost got whiplash from how fast Omry answered the phone. Fast as Chinese takeout! He sent me an email with instructions.

This should keep me busy for a little while:

Hi Jonathan,

It was nice talking to you over the phone.

Per our conversation, please follow the step below to start fresh with all Waves related, by uninstall and reinstall Waves.

If you have IR convolution reverb impulse files, please back up the following folders:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Waves\Data\IR1Impulses

C:\Program Files (x86)\Waves\Data\IR1Impulses V2

C:\Program Files (x86)\Waves\Data\Acoustics.net Impulses (if exists)

First, uninstall:

Launch Central.

Go to Install > Uninstall, checkmark all boxes and click Uninstall.

Go to Control Panel > Programs and Features and uninstall Central.

Go to C:\Program Files (x86) and delete the Waves folder.

Press [Win key]+R, type %AppData% and hit Enter.

In the Roaming folder that shows, drag the Waves Audio folder to your desktop.

Press [Win key]+R, type %LocalAppData% and hit Enter. In the window that shows, delete the Waves Audio folder.

Press [Win key]+R, type %ProgramData% and hit Enter. In the window that shows, delete the Waves Audio folder.

Delete any WaveShell files you find in the following locations (if exist):

C:\Program Files\VSTPlugins

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Avid\Audio\Plug-ins

C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3 

C:\Program Files (x86)\VSTPlugins

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\ DigiDesign\DAE\Plug-Ins

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\VST3

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\WPAPI

Now to re-install:

Looking at your Waves account I can see that some of your licenses are V10 and some are V9.

Please note that Waves Central install online (Easy Install & Activate, Install Products from online) only the latest V10 plug-ins.

Further, note that V9 and V10 can run on the same system, as long as you don't install two versions (V9 and V10) of the same plugin. 

Each plugin should only be installed in either V9 or V10. 

For example: 

Version 9 of J37 Tape and version 10 of Torque can run on the same system.

Version 9 of H-Reverb and version 10 of H-Reverb can't.

Follow these steps to install V10:

Download and install Central.

Run Central and log in.

Go to Install Products. 

On the left column, select Online.

On the middle column, click on My Products and select the products you wish to install. 

Click Install on the bottom right.

Follow these steps to install V9, using the dedicated V9.92 Offline Installation folder:

Quit any host application.

Click here to download the v.9.92 Offline Installer for Windows.

Unzip the folder to your desktop.

Launch Waves Central and click on Install Products.

In the left panel, click on Select Offline Installer.

When prompted, highlight the Waves- 24.5.18 folder on your desktop and click Select folder/Open.

In the middle panel, search and select the V9 products you wish to install.
Refer to your Waves account to view your exact licenses.

Click Install.

As discussed as well, as there are multiple issues with the computer, which as you mentioned, seem to be related to Cakewalk by BandLab's redistributables, I suggest reinstalling Cakewalk as well.
Please contact BandLab support for assistance on that matter.

I had mentioned that it wasn't only Waves plugins but other brands of aftermarket plugins as well as the Sonitus plugins. Basically all the plugins I'm using on my project except for Softube's Trident A-Range.

After carefully following the instructions from Waves, my plugins won't install, and now the "install" button is permanently grayed-out, Waves phone support is out until Monday, their email support is a placebo with no effect, and I don't feel like sitting on my hands because I have to do something about the anxiety, frustration and anger this is causing me to be completely shut off from my work with deadlines to deal with.