Melodyne Update 4.2.1.003 released but...

Skyline_UK

They haven't fixed the issue introduced in the last update whereby the default algorithm isn't remembered.  It's frustrating as they list Cakewalk as a supported DAW. 😡  Behaviour is ok in Studio One 4 but there's still an issue when I use it in Cakewalk.  I emailed Ulf at Melodyne querying whether this issue is going to be addressed, but sadly he replied:

"So far we cannot reproduce this issue. We need to be able to do this first before we can know if the issue is with us or Cakewalk."  However, in October he told me:

"Alright. We’re on it. But it may take a while."

Can Noel perhaps chime in here and shed some light on this issue?  It is an elusive glitch:  I get it every single time, but I understand some CW users here don't experience it at all? 🤔

• Great Idea 1

the default algorithm is never remembered here either.  i hope this issue gets solved, but i learned the hard way not to deal with Celemony customer support.  the last time i needed help, they refused to help me, someone who had just purchased an upgrade to Melodyne 4 Studio, because my email address always ended up in their spam folder.  it was awful.

I just received an email announcing the changes:

"Improvements in the current Version 4.2.1

Melodyne 4.2.1 brings the following improvements and numerous minor optimizations all of which make your use of Melodyne more enjoyable, reliable and swift.

New functions and improvements

Faster loading with ARA: In DAWs with ARA support, extensive projects now load considerably faster.

Bug fixes

Fixed: During ARA operation with Mixcraft and Cakewalk, blob monitoring and scrubbing were no longer available in Melodyne if you started playback in the DAW.

Fixed: With Melodyne in Player Mode (i.e. without activating the program on the computer being used), the ARA plug-in sometimes crashed when you switched from Track Edit Mode to Clip Edit Mode.

Fixed: If the detection was aborted after a transfer with the Melodyne plug-in and you subsequently tried to move audio material whilst holding down the ALT key, a crash was sometimes the result.

Fixed: If an audio file was selected in the track pane of the stand-alone implementation of Melodyne studio, adjusting the fine tuning in the inspector sometimes led to a crash."

Edited by Skyline_UK
  • Thanks 1

I upgraded to 4.2.1 on my laptop yesterday.

The 4.2.1 update consistently hangs Cakewalk when dragging an audio track on to a MIDI track, unless I've previously created a region FX and selected the default detection algorithm.

On my main PC I'm still running 4.2.0.

So far I've had to set the default once with 4.2.0, and it's remembered it ever since without issue.

I'm running the Editor version, with a default of Polyphonic Sustain.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Skyline and Mark.  

I was once caught out by a Melodyne upgrade on SPlat which was unusable for months so I always hold off doing upgrades immediately even though I keep previous versions which can be re-installed.

I am still happily running Editor v4.1.1.011 which works without issue although I have downloaded v4.2.0.020 - is that the same sub-version as you Mark?

Edited by ZincT

Just installed the 4.2.1 update and now the blobs are totally out of sync with the sound. Yeah! Me thinks Celemony is not sure what to do with Cakewalk as we are a "free" program now. Do they fix it correctly or not? Guess I'll go back to version 4.1 that works but whenever I load it, it annoyingly opens a web page telling me to get the latest greatest updates (that we all know don't work). Oh well, as long as 4.1 works I guess I'm happy enough....

PS I just sent my out-of-sync experience to Celemony and asked if they can disable that pop-up that always appears telling you to get the newest version which is doubly frustrating as the pop-up is annoying, and in my experience, just leads me to another failed upgrade. 4.1 already does more than I could dream of and I'm happy with it. Does anybody know how to disable that annoying pop-up?

Edited by user390096
because they said it was fixed, boo-hoo, lol!

31 minutes ago, ZincT said:

Thanks Skyline and Mark.  

I was once caught out by a Melodyne upgrade on SPlat which was unusable for months so I always hold off doing upgrades immediately even though I keep previous versions which can be re-installed.

I am still happily running Editor v4.1.1.011 which works without issue although I have downloaded v4.2.0.020 - is that the same sub-version as you Mark?

Yeah, I've got 4.2.020 on my main PC, and 4.2.103 on my laptop. Both versions are quicker than 4.1.1, but not as stable.

2 hours ago, user390096 said:

PS I just sent my out-of-sync experience to Celemony and asked if they can disable that pop-up that always appears telling you to get the newest version which is doubly frustrating as the pop-up is annoying, and in my experience, just leads me to another failed upgrade. 4.1 already does more than I could dream of and I'm happy with it. Does anybody know how to disable that annoying pop-up?

Set option to upgrade to manual (Help menu)?  This is now mine is set and I never get a pop-up.

The choice of how Melodyne interprets the data, percussive, melodic, etc.  You can choose a default (that should get saved) so that you don't have to select a type every time you load a clip to work on.

Edited by Skyline_UK
  • Like 1

Before I reverted back to 4.1, I tried the stand-alone version of 4.2 and everything seemed to work perfectly. Looks like it's a CakeWalk issue. Also, Ulf from Celemony got back to me and he said I was the first to report the out-of-sync issue. I'm going to make another little video with my phone showing the progress bar about a second ahead of the sound of the blobs. I'll send it to him and see how he reacts. As I recall from when I did this same task when 4.2 was first released, he said they would fix it but it would be a while... Oh well, 4.1.1.011 seems solid and the 4.2 was never aimed at CakeWalk users in the first place.

PS I'm no longer getting that default algorithm error at all. Mine loads as expected with the melodic screen showing blobs up and down the music staff as expected. However, I was getting that error upon the first release of 4.2. FYI I use a Universal Audio Apollo Mark 2 Quad Twin Thunderbolt with ASIO drivers, up to date Win 10 and CakeWalk by BandLab.

Edited by user390096
ps
  • Like 1